News: Rapids cut 8, including Casey

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to see Casey leave but financially it made sense. Liked Marshall but he was showing his age. Edu was worthless. Only Nane and Zapata surprised me on this list.

With all this cap space freed, it will be an interesting off season and draft.

crazyjon85 repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They re-signed him after MLS Cup. Assuming a MLS standard 2+2 contract then he's got 2 option years left.

3. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JL and Castrillon will both be 30 in 2013.

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Interesting. So Casey was $400,000 vs the other 7 totaling $585,607? I could see Casey bowling over the other 7 and scoring.

spot, Jimmydinho and jayd8888 repped this.
  5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Gary's trying to get promoted into the Championship with Stevenage. They're currently tied on points in 3rd-4th with Sheffield United and for 3nd-4th with the MLK Dons.

Smith's team has two ex-MLS'ers in Robbie Rogers and Andy Iro, though neither is playing much.

6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    And Comminges (unless he got cut recently).

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically Casey was only $335K against the cap (the max a player can count against the cap).

8. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to these cuts the status of Pablo remains up in the air. Also according to articles we have not yet signed Thomas or rivero. If those deals fall through this could be a total disaster. I can't think of any other team whose roster is as up in the air for next year.

Historically the rapids are not known for being able to make a ton of moves. I'm a little concerned at this point.

9. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What order are we in the supplemental draft this year? (since there's no expansion draft) Does that come before or after the rookie draft?

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The supplemental draft is just the extra rounds of the Superdraft with different salary minimums for players that catch on. Essentially its one big draft separated by a few days so that teams can assess in-between.

11. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    K. Is that the draft for all the players without a contract that want to keep playing?

12. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Got nothing to add here. Feeling mostly negative about this. I feel like we are tearing down 2010 more than we are building up for a future success.

13. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does anyone know when chance myers contract is up at skc i'm sure he would resign with them. but to me his the perfect fit for us at right back.was paid like what 82 k last year.

who are some expiring contact players in the mls that could potentially fill some rolls ? Some of these replacements got to be mls usl or rookies from a draft. maybe 3 -4 will be outside of the mls?

i have a feeling klute will be our starting left back. i really did like nane he could of easily became a henry thomas type player with guidance.

what's this with tim's twitter talking down on some of the players about?

i think some of these cuts are going to help bring back thomas hill aren't they on one year's rivero n 2 year loan?

i fear omar could be traded still with op wanting to stick to 433 omar really dont fit anywhere unless we force him out wide like aston villa does abonglanar

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're thinking of Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Re-Entry Draft. That is done in reverse order of 2012 finish, so we're 6th(?).

BYLRPhil repped this.
  15. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy with the decisions they were absolutely right

COMtnGuy repped this.
  16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey - Oh look, another great player unceremoniously shoved out the door. Same old Rapids.
    Edu - Good riddance. Fv<king worthless from day one, and a colossal failure from both Bravo and Pareja.
    Joyce - *shurgs*.
    Marshall - Probably should have retired about 1-2 years ago.
    Nane - Has always been mediocre. He has no future with this club.
    Palguta - See Nane.
    Wahl - Another failed signing from the Bravo/Pareja brain trust.
    Zapata - *sigh* Yet another failed signing. I have to admit though, he grew on me a little bit over the course of the season...but he still couldn't defend.

To be honest, the biggest surprise for me is that Jamie Smith was not on this list, considering how hard Pareja tried to not use him. The off-season is young though. I'm sure they'll find a way to get rid of him.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. oofinalheavenoo

Oct 30, 2006
    Daly City, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dropping 8 players? Wow. I gotta say, this is very aggressive from the Rapids. Casey and Marshall are a bit of a surprise for me. I hope Rapids have something install for the fans next season though.

18. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha. Is that before or after the regular draft?

19. todspurs

todspurs Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, we should give Bravo credit for realizing one-third of the team he has built is terrible.

I don't disagree with any of these moves but seriously doubt Bravo's ability to cobble together a competitive side. I hope I'm wrong but I am pretty sure that you can pencil us in as Chivas USA 2.0

20. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If Casey's play this past season is the new normal for him, then I certainly understand cutting him. He never looked like he fully recovered from the Achilles's tear. If he wasn't fully recovered, though, and he recovers further over the off-season, then some team is going to be very happy at our stupidity.

I don't really mind the rest of the players being cut, but I do worry about our ability to fill those roster spots.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would you have liked the Rapids to do with Casey that reportedly they didn't do?

That will be in the couple of weeks after MLS Cup (probably, it hasn't been announced yet but that's when it happened last year).

22. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they offer Casey a reduced contract?

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC Bianchi's report from earlier in the week said they were looking at other options with him, which read to me as "Looking at a new contract at a lower number".

24. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bianchi should actually start talking to some players before writing his articles.

25. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See:
    I actually suspect they did not, considering how publicly Hinchey voiced his dislike for him, and how Pareja prefers a speedy-yet-talentless-do-not-defend forwards over a slower-yet-talented-and-does-defend forwards. I'll bet they could have done a lot more for him than they probably did.

A player that was one of our more popular guys, our all-time leading scorer, and MLS Cup MVP deserves a lot better than to just be chucked into the bone pile with one-dimensional players like Zapata and complete hacks like Wahl.