FCK It! Terrence Boyd @ 1. FC Kaiserslautern

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jun 10, 2012.

1. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    A lengthy, in-depth interview with Boyd here. It would be much appreciated if a German speaker could give us a translation, or at least an outline of the main points:

"Hauptsache, wir sind Meister"

3. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Google translate:

Welcome to Austria. What are your first impressions?
    Terrence Boyd: "I knew before that that Vienna will be a very beautiful city and has also confirmed the one or two times where I had now Training free, I was in the city is very lively and looks at each case.. very nice out. "
    What do you know football, and especially by the Austrian and Rapid before you came?
    TB: "From the League did and I do not know that much, just the basics was. The main reason for the change so the name rapid because it is a big chance already to play for such a club. The Europa League is a bonus. It would be nice if we manage to reach the group stage. "
    Is there a logical career move to come from the second German Bundesliga teams to Rapid?
    TB:"Obviously not. Especially in my situation it is customary to go into the second league to gain match practice. It is borrowed and then comes back again. I wanted to like try right and make it into a premier league. After what I have now heard from Rapid in discussions with coaches and managers, I think I have the best prospects. It may be a risk for me to go abroad, but I think the step will have been the right one . "
    Were there any offers from Germany's second league?
    TB:"Yes, I call but no names. I had met already with a trainer before the Rapid ever came. With the option second division or rapid for me that was not a big consideration. For me, it was clear immediately that I Rapid to go. ""The main thing Master"With the departure of Atdhe Nuhiu is even more space in Rapid Storm become."I do not find my way to the other strikers, I'm just doing what I do whether players come or go, it does not mean much I always say... Competition makes a player stronger, and therefore of the need not necessarily be good for me. The main thing we are champions at the end. "
    Between your home or rapid Bremen and Austria there are an almost historical connection.
    TB:"Yes, with Andi Herzog, agrees. Him have I seen also in Bremen's Weser Stadium when I was seven. I think it was 1998. Is funny that he is on the U.S. team my coach again. "
    The decision of the United States against Germany and was quite aware of?
    TB:"Yes, because it is my country just. For me this is quite apart from football, the best land. Sure, Germany has been an option, but the U.S. has tried to me, I already invited to the U-20. Then I I stayed the same since. Since there was no second opinion from me that I would have to consider. I am proud to play for the United States. "
    But you are brought up in Germany, right?
    TB:"Exactly. A year ago I lived as a baby in New York, then my mother went with me back to Germany."
    Were you a born Bremen Bremen fan ever?
    TB:"I've always been in London, Arsenal fan."
    Your father may begin with football at all what?
    TB:"He was a boxer. At the Olympic qualifiers in March I saw my father's family after ten years and have invited them back to the game. For them it was the first time that they have seen a football game. My grandpa said, "Here's looking at me, and will probably understand nothing of the komsichen game. But just give it your best. "The company may not be quite serious, because, of course, football, basketball, etc. are the major sports.
    What you have you, since you are in Austria, noticed about the league and the clubs already?
    TB:"I've already heard of Red Bull Salzburg. And of course the United Kingdom. In the Derby, I'm very excited. I love those games. Salzburg may have money, but you can compare well with Dortmund and Bayern. Dortmund not the agent has the Bayern, Dortmund, but twice in a row become champion, has spent the last five games against Bayern won. I think that can work with us also. We are a young team of something. They are all hungry, all want to achieve much in their careers. I do not know how it looks with the experience with us. But if we make our game, then we can definitely be champions. "
    "I want to be champions"So you're not the type who is happy with a good placement?
    TB:"I have come now to the record holder and I want to be champion. There's no question. Sure, I can not say anything about the Austrian league, because I have not played themselves. Because I can talk to not be so bold as to how The league is good. But when I play the record holder, then be my goal too, to become masters. "
    You also mentioned the Derby. Do you get with this as a new right away that these games are something special?
    TB:"Of course. Even in finding an apartment they gave me at once that I should definitely stay in certain districts. And also, it would be good if I were on the first day wear nothing Violet. I have also in Dortmund and Schalke already noticed. With such a rivalry that are completely different games, which always has final character. I love it when you play away, and is hated. Something pushes me. That's cool. "
    The first derby is already in the third round - as a rapid-home game.
    TB:"Yes, I'm excited."
    Even to you personally. Did you or have a great role model in football?
    TB:"I used to be a big fan of Thierry Henry. He has a goal machine. Fast and ice cold. But now I'm no role model. I myself will be one thing was.""Giants football Balotelli"The great debate Ronaldo or Messi?"I am a completely different type of player. I orient myself to more of types of players who are like me. Who do I currently outstanding find is Mario Balotelli. No matter what kind of shit he is building, or how stupid the kid supposed to be, he is still a Giant football player. the I look like already. "
    How it works with the language in Vienna? Do you understand anything?
    TB:"Around 90 per cent. Only sometimes, when starting with the excessive jargon, it is difficult. Some fans I know really nothing, and sometimes must ask a second time. Even funny."
    How to contact the Rapid fans so far?
    TB:"Positive. Funny is that I talk about 30 percent of the fans in English. Since we already hear funny things. But as far as I have previously noticed, are the outstanding fans. Very passionate. We are every friendly game received great of them to have been. In the game against Dundee for the first time I've seen the rapid-quarter of an hour, as all have started clapping. I was wondering what is going on. "
    The thing can happen to you with the English national team in Austria as well.
    TB:Yes, with the Alaba I've heard. That's odd. Especially Alabama, the football player of the year has become in Austria. The one could've known.
    Do you already have with Austrians had to do in football?
    TB:"Marco Djuricin is a very good friend of mine. An outstanding football player. I hope he now also manages the breakthrough at Hertha. Stefan Petrovic and were from St. Pölten Strebinger Richard, who is now grown at Werder Bremen goalkeeper third, also with me in the Hertha-boarding. What I see from the youth, Austria will have joy in the coming years with the national team. "
    You're still a very young player. Is there anyway already thinking about a career goal or a dream career?
    TB:"The players will be measured by titles is definitely an incentive I will just make me a name I want to talk about in 50 years, Terrence Boyd and says:...." That was a really horny striker "I want to build something. I just want to shoot as many goals as possible in my life and get out as much as possible. "
    "Footed and strong in the air"How would you characterize yourself as a player? What type of player are you?
    TB:I describe myself really do not like myself, the others to judge. But I'm a classic center forward. Defensive I am the first to attack, forcing the defenders to errors in the game design. Offensive, I try to seek always the Pits. I give everything that I come to any goals or templates. I am strong in the air and both. "
    What about outside of football? Who's the guy Terrence Boyd?
    TB:"The guy is actually very lazy. Usually I'm at home lying on the couch and look at U.S. series. I always pull me through all the seasons, and I do not know what to do. Now I'm back in "Prince of Bel-Air." This is very funny in English. But I also go to the movies, like to go shopping, like a cafe. "
    As you have seen the club so far? What are your first impressions?
    TB:"I just have to play football, the rest is done the car organizing the club, the apartment also -.. It look all very good to me"
    This sounds like the ideal replacement."It will be seen at the end of the season. But I do think that it was the right decision. Because until now I have to regret anything. This is all very well here at Rapid."
    Personal data:Terrence Boyd, born in February 1991, is the son of a U.S. American and a German mother and grew up in Bremen. In the season 2008/2009 Boyd moved to the system coming from Hertha Berlin and scored in 44 appearances for the amateurs of 15 goals. In the 2011/2012 season then Boyd played for the second team Borussia Dortmund, where he scored 20 goals in 32 games. In the Bundesliga, he came to no use, but was appointed in October 2011 against Cologne for the first time in the first team squad. His debut in the U.S. national team striker was in February 2012, when he was substituted during the 1-0 victory against Italy.

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like he wants to become a legend on and off the field. ;)

5. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting it on in Vienna: Terrence at Rapid

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming that the German spoken in Austria is a slightly different dialect than that spoken in the mother land. Interesting. I was unaware of that, although it doesn't shock me.

7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Scotty said. Google translations suck, unless there is a better translation available, or if you're looking for a bit of comedy.

"It would be much appreciated if a German speaker could give us a translation, or at least an outline of the main points."

Thanks in advance.

8. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, there is a big difference between Austrian German and standard German. And in Germany, as can be seen on the following map, there are many, many regional dialects of German with the ones in the South (Oberdeutsch on the map) being the most difficult to understand, hence the question in the interview. Having grown up in Bremen, TB would have been exposed to a German that we refer to as High/Standard German, but also to Low German (Niederdeutsch on the map), which is a related language more akin to Dutch/Frisian and English somewhat.

[​IMG]

sakibomb523 and m vann repped this.
  9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the cultural and history lesson! I was unaware of the many dialects of German. It makes perfect sense especially considering the regions and their proximity and influences from surrounding countries.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Google translation was hilarious though. And mostly understandable

11. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. It was very brief, and a little simplified, but there is a plenty of information out there if you are interested.

12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. This could take off like Grown Ass Man did with Eddie Johnson. :ROFLMAO:

FWIIW, the line in German was: Ich will, dass man in 50 Jahren über Terrence Boyd redet und sagt: „Das war ein echt geiler Stürmer.“

"Geiler" really is correctly translated as "horny" or "lustful," but I suspect there is some modern German lingo going on here and that young Germans may use "geil" also to mean popular, famous, memorable, desirable, likeable, or wonderful. Native German speakers, feel free to help me out here.

So, it probably was meant more like this: I would like that in 50 years people talk about Terrence Boys and say "That was a truly wonderful striker."

Nevertheless, that is a classic Google translation.

13. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I knew it would suck, but I figured other posters wouldn't want to wait for a German speaker to help either, so I posted the google translation

14. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your Google translation made my day, and I repped the effort.

The next thread title should be: Terrence Boyd: Rapid Progress as a Horny Striker in Vienna. :D

15. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to go read that Google translate now that I've seen geiler being used this way lol.

Geil is equivalent to cool or, in this regard, bad ass. It's a colloquial term used within many contexts, so it doesn't have a reliable translation. The referenced sentences translates to "I want people to talk about Terrence Boyd in 50 years and say, 'That was a bad ass striker.'"

As I have not read the Google translate yet, I don't know if there are any discrepancies. I'll post some translations if I see anything.

16. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The beginning of the Lord's prayer in various German dialects (by no means all of them) - even if you don't speak German, it's easy to see they are somewhat different:
    Code:
    Standard German

Vater Unser im Himmel,
    Geheiligt werde Dein Name,
    Dein Reich komme.
    Dein Wille geschehe,
    Wie im Himmel, so auf Erden.

Low German

Unse Vader in' Himmel !
    Laat hilligt warrn dienen Namen.
    Laat kamen dien Riek.
    Laat warrn dienen Willen so as in'n Himmel,
    so ok op de Eerd.

Eastphalian Low German

Vader iuse in'n Himmel.
    Eheiligt were dain Name.
    Dain Raik kume.
    Dain Wille gescheihe
    as in'n Himmel söo auk up Eern.

Bavarian German

Fadda unsa im Himme,
    geheiligt weade dei Nama,
    dei Reich kumm,
    dei Wui gschäh,
    wia im Himme, so a auf Eadn.

Swabian German

Vatr unsr im Himml
    g'heiligt sei dain Nama,
    dai Reich komme, dai Willa g'schehe
    wia im Himml, so au uf Aerda.

Berne Swiss German

Üse Vatter im Himel!
    Mach, dass dy Name heilig ghalte wird,
    Mach, dass dys Rych zuen is chunt.
    La hie uf Ärde dy Wille gscheh,
    win er im Himel gscheht.

Hobo repped this.
  17. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I'll do one tomorrow, if nobody beats me to it (tomorrow German time, it's midnight here right now). But the most important information first: Boyd loves The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

18. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider this stolt for my classroom this Fall!

19. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially in English.

I am going to do some of the US pertinent stuff right now. It's a LONG interview, though, so I might get tired.

20. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I only copied those from the internets as well, so no problem ;). The Lord's Prayer is perfect when you want to show the difference in dialects, just google it + [name of dialect], and you're sure to get something, since someone somewhere did a translation of it.

Here's it in Viennese too:
    http://www.christusrex.org/www1/pater/JPN-wiener.html

21. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    "Geil" did indeed use to mean horny/lusty, and is still occassionally used in this meaning. It's undergone a shift in meaning though (like "gay" in English), and now just means cool, sexy, and other positive adjectives like that, especially used amont the younger generations. Since I think we can all assume that Boyd is not using the first meaning of the word :D, he just means that he wants to become a really cool striker.

And yeah, there are a lot of different dialects in German- speaking countries, some of them, particularly in the South, not easy to understand. At least it's not Swiss- German...

Mr Martin repped this.
  22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Actually, geil originally meant "being happy" (in medieval German texts you can also read about Saints being "geil"). Then it shifted to a , well, more narrow kind of happiness :D, before becoming the all purpose word for "cool" in the 1980s or so (it's certainly not used as much anymore as it was 20 years ago when I was a kid).

Deeneaus and Mr Martin repped this.
  23. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    From the Interview:

Q: As you were born in Bremen, were you always a Werder Bremen Fan?
    A: No, I was always an Arsenal London (sic!) fan.

Nothing to do with his USA career, but: UGH!

24. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [My quick translation]

Is this a logical career move, to go from the 2nd team of a German Bundesliga team to Rapid?
    Not completely logical. For someone in my position the usual course is to transfer to the II. Bundesliga in order to get playing time. You are normally loaned out and then return [to the original team]. But I wanted to go ahead and give it my all and be successful in a first division. Now that I am here, I feel like this gives me the best perspective. It is indeed a risky move to move abroad but I think it will have been the right step.

Where there offers from Germany's II. Liga?
    Yes, but I can't name any names. I had even already met with a coach before anything happened with Rapid. But the choice between Rapid or the II. Liga, there really wasn't a choice to be made. It was clear that I was going to Rapid.

{snip}

There is an almost historical connection between your home Bremen and Austria, that is, Rapid.
    Yes, with Andi Herzog, that's correct. When I was seven I saw him play in Bremen's Weser-Stadion. I think that was 1998. And it's pretty funny that he is now all of a sudden my coach for the US.

The decision for the USA and not for Germany was a conscious decision?
    Yes, because it is my "Vaterland. For me America is the best country, even apart from soccer. Of course Germany was also an option but the USA sought me out and invited me to the U-20 team. And I never looked back. And there was never any doubt that I still had to make a decision. I am proud to play for the USA.

But you grew up in Germany, right?
    Exactly. I lived one year in NY as a baby, then my Mother returned to Germany with me.

As a Bremener were you also a Bremen fan?
    I have always been an Arsenal London fan.

Does your Father know anything about soccer?
    He was a boxer. During Olympic qualifying in March I saw my Father's family for the first time in 10 years and invited them to a game. It was the first time that they had ever seen a soccer game. My Grandfather said: 'I will watch and probably not understand anything. Just give it your all.' It is not really their thing because Football, Basketball, etc. are the big sports.

{snip}

Who are or who were your role models in soccer?
    I was a big fan of Thierry Henry. He was a goal machine, fast and cold as ice. Now I don't have a role model, I want to become one.

Ronaldo or Messi?
    I am a completely different type of player, so I gravitate more to players who play more like me. Right now I am very impressed with Balotelli. No matter what trouble he gets into or how dumb he is supposed to be, he is an amazing soccer player. I really like to watch him play.

How's it going with the language in Vienna, do you understand everything?
    About 90%, but sometimes when the dialect gets extreme it becomes difficult. Sometimes with the fans, I have them to repeat themselves. Pretty funny.

You are still very young, but do you have career goals/dreams?
    Players are measured by the number of titles they win so that definitely drives me. I just want to become well known. I want that when people talk about TB in 50 years they will say: 'He was a bad-ass striker.' I want to accomplish things, to score as many goals as possible to get everything out of it/me that I can.

How would you describe yourself as a player?
    I really don't like to describe myself, that's for others to decide. But I am classical center forward. In the defense I am the first who attacks, who tries to get defenders to make mistakes. In the offense I am always looking for my shot. I try everything for goals or assists. I am good in the air and ambidextrous.

What kind of person is TB off the field?
    He is very lazy. Mostly I am at home, on the couch watching US TV shows. I like to watch entire series from beginning to end until I don't know what to do anymore. Now I am once again on a "Prince of Bel-Air" kick. In English it is very funny. But I also like to go to the movies, go shopping, go to cafés.

What have been your first impressions of the club?
    I just have to play soccer, everything else is done for me. The car, the apartment - they are really taking good care of me here.

25. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more the idea than the actual different versions!