FCK It! Terrence Boyd @ 1. FC Kaiserslautern

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not fair to compare Rapid Vienna to the average A bundesliga team. There are four good teams that could compete and finish upper half of the table in a league the level of the Eredivisie. Rapid's rival, Austria Vienna, played against Jozy and AZ in the Europa league, and Rapid are slightly the better team based on finish. If we think that Boyd is worse than Jozy, which I do, starting should not be assumed to be automatic.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I tend to think of the Austrian league like the Swiss league. [And UEFA coefficients suggest that's a fair comparison. They're 13 and 14.] The top-of-the-table clubs can give clubs from the big leagues troubles now and again. Most years, they don't, though. In the UEFA club coefficients Rapid is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in the rankings. (136th in 2011-2012) All that tells you is they generally don't pull off the upsets in Europe to get their ranking into a respectable area.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  4. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll just translate:

Terrence Boyd is here. Finally. Good for Rapid. For everyone in the club, though? Nope. The biggest loser: Atdhe Nuhiu. The club can finally communicate what it really wants. Fact is: the purchase of the US-Boy is a slap in the face for the lanky man. Why? That requires a quick look at the body dimensions of the new guy: 1,85 Meter, 87 Kilo - this man is an attacking strong house. With this, the air in Hütteldorf has gotten a bit more thin for Nuhiu than ever before. Many fans already had the mid-forward on their shit list, regardless of his eight goals in the previous season. He was too stiff and had a propensity toward bad luck in pursuit of goals. To some extent, he was even mocked (I'm curious what his belt line has to do with this, so please elaborate native German speakers!). Up till now, Rapid has given him a lifeline, his colleagues anyway, but it appears that Peter Schöttel isn't as confident anymore.

Reading between the lines, it's plain to see that Nuhiu is good, but he isn't good enough. The acquisition of Boyd is a suggestion that the message is clear: Nuhiu has to produce more, much more, and quickly. Otherwise, this will be his last year in the Green and White.

ImaPuppy, sakibomb523 and Scotty repped this.
  5. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Unter der Gürtellinie = below the belt line = short for "hitting someone below the belt line" = a low blow

"Keine Schläge unter die Gürtellinie" (no hits below the belt line) is also a standard phrase in boxing.

Deeneaus repped this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  8. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hallo dear Rapid fans, I just signed with Rapid Wien. I am taking a vacation and will be here Monday week (June 25) for training and I ...

9. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Club's website
    http://www.skrapid.at/9609+M59aad0b949a.html

"My goal is to to give it my all/put the pedal to the metal here"

On late Thursday afternoon, striker TB (21) got to know Hütteldorffor the first time - he came to us after several different medical tests and signed a contract with Rapid in the club offices. Afterward, the plane left for Bremen, but the US national team player, who was born in Bremen took the time for a quick interview.

skrapid.at:Welcome to Vienna. You have had a lot going on recently. You have a quali in South America [sic] behind you. And now the transfer to Rapid. How are you?
    Terrence Boyd: I am running a little on empty, but otherwise very good. Thanks. The training camp with the US team was very exciting for me. I had a lot of good experiences and learned a lot. I was subbed into the test game (????) that we won 3-1 against A&B which a was a wonderful experience. Now I am pleased to be with Rapid, although I am first taking a short vacation.

You are a striker and got 20 goals in 32 games for Dortmund II in the Reginalliga West. Dortmund I are Bundesliga champions and you were on the bench once. What are you taking with you from Dortmund?
    Terrence Boyd: A lot of wonderful experiences. The play there shaped me and I could excel. And I developed a "Powerplay" there, which means: I always want to get forward and impose my will in front of the goal. I gave it my all there and want to do the same here. That is my big goal.

What do you expect here at our club?

Terrence Boyd: Clearly I want to win titles, and learn a lot at the same time. I am still young. That the club is putting its trust in me honors me, and I want to give a lot back as a result. I hope that the fans will support me, but I have already heard a lot of good things about them.

First a week of vacation, and I heard you really weren't happy about that, that you were burning for your first training session with your new teammates.
    Terrence Boyd: Yes, first a week home to my family in Bremen where I was born. And you are a right about the time off. I can certainly use it, but I am very excited about the first training sessions with Rapid. I am not the kind of person that likes to miss anything, especially not preseason training. As a result I can't wait to get started here (laughs)!

Okay, have a nice vacation!
    Terrence Boyd: Thanks and I will see you soon!

[​IMG]

Deeneaus, gmonn and Scotty repped this.
  10. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO! :D

11. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This video has hit 7K views in just 2 days while the rest of Vienna's videos have less than 2K views, looks like the fans are excited about Boyd that's awesome!

12. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you've just watched it 5,000 times...

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get into games. Score goals. That's what we want to see.

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the limited times I've seen him, I'd say his biggest weakness is finishing.

15. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope he is a natural finisher he didn't get any clear front shot on goal chances against Scotland. His weakness is the first touch even he has said it.

16. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Clearly you did not see him play in the U-23s game vs. El Salvador.

17. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did.

What I am talking about is the ratio of "good" chances to goals during the run of play. For an average striker its about 4-1. For the best poachers/finishers in the world its nearly 2-1. Clearly we can disagree on what constitutes a "good" chance and a "half" chance since that is subjective.

I have not analyzed all his touches so this is not quantitative but my impression was he had quite a few good chances and many half chances that he did not score on with the full National team.

In addition, there were chances in which he should have hit the target and did not, or gone far post when he went near.

This is all nit-picking, though. He has a ton of potential. Finishing is a skill that can be developed.

18. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd really needs to establish himself as a starter and tear it up in this league to justify consideration for a starting spot for the NT. The Austrian league is currently ranked by UEFA as the 15th best in Europe trailing nations like Belgium and Denmark where we have NT players starting every game for the first place teams and not getting real looks from Klinsmann.

That said, I am optimistic for Boyd. I've liked what I've seen from him so far and believe that he can succeed at this level. I'm not expecting it, but I wouldn't put it past him to lead the league in goals next year.

deuteronomy repped this.
  19. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent post and I agree, entirely,

This is the guy he will have to beat out:
    http://www.soccerway.com/players/atdhe-nuhiu/36670/

[​IMG]

20. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Give it a break. Different positions, different scenario.

21. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main threat to Boyd's national team call ups is Andrew Wooten. They play similar styles and positions. Right now they are about even, with Boyd having the call ups to put him over Wooten. Interesting to see how the first couple months go for both players and to see who is putting the ball in the goal.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking about this yesterday. Even though Boyd will have some EC games, Wooten arguably will be playing in the stronger league overall. If he shines he can place himself in the mix, which will be a good thing. As the Germans say: 'completion livens up the business.' I will be pulling for both of them.

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fixed

24. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007