Rape/Sexual Assault Culture

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want to be a bit more specific. The parents in question caught their kids in some form of act and then committed violence towards minors. In both cases, the victims were boyfriends of stepdaughters. In both cases, the parent overreacted. Again, this goes to guidance and trust and allowing children, particularly girls, to positively learn.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That seems silly. On the other hand, this sounds like a mighty dicey conviction ... the alleged memories of a 3 year old, a hostile ex-wife, and a strange statement made during a high-pressure interrogation.

There have been a lot of innocent people whose lives have been ruined by false accusations of child molestation. It's something of an American mania -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-care_sex-abuse_hysteria

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #954 Dr. Wankler, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    That list leaves off Jordan, Minnesota, where in the early '80s 24 people where arrested and tried and... eventually, exonerated. But only after being financially and in many ways socially ruined.

Edit: I'd never heard of this one:

Dale Akiki[edit]
    Main article: Faith Chapel Church ritual abuse case
    Dale Akiki was a developmentally-delayed man accused of satanic ritual abuse in 1991. Akiki, who has Noonan syndrome, was along with his wife a volunteer baby-sitter at Faith Chapel in Spring Valley, California[disambiguation needed]. The accusations started when a young girl told her mother that "[Akiki] showed me his penis", after which the mother contacted the police.
    After interviews, nine other children accused Akiki of killing animals and drinking their blood in front of the children. He was found not guilty of the 35 counts of child abuse and kidnapping in his 1993 trial.[1]
    In 1994, the San Diego County Grand Jury reviewed the Akiki cases and concluded there was no reason to pursue the theory of ritual abuse.[46] On August 25, 1994, he filed a suit against the County of San Diego, Faith Chapel Church, and many others, which was settled for $2 million.[47] Akiki's public defenders received the Public Defender of the Year award for their work defending Akiki.​

All hail those public defenders!

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    People get off on the idea of children being sexually assaulted. Thus the mania/phobia.

Look maybe this guy is guilty as hell. Just saying.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well he was found to be guilty, it's just the sentencing that seems pretty ********ed up.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    soccernutter repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe they've adjusted for the fact that he might not be guilty since this stuff is so hard to determine, and people have been railroaded in the past.

I do agree that the judge's comment seems silly.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Who would that be, besides Persian? She said no. Repeatedly. It's rape.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, it's not just an American mania. Where I come from somebody might get beaten, perhaps even to death, over such an accusation.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    To be able to make that accusation is a handy weapon then.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yeah, but does this mean that the assumption should automatically arise that the claims might be false?

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Absolutely the claims might be false. That of course is true with the allegation of any crime, but in particular when the allegation comes from a 3 year old.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I would guess that such false claims by a 3-year old would be fairly rare.
    In any case, there will be experts brought in who can give a fairly good assessment of the veracity of a child's claims.

You start from a very weird and dangerous place if you assume that the victim might be lying.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, they are common. That is why so many people ended up in U.S. jails for ludicrous satanic ritual crimes that they did not commit.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree with you in general, but on the other hand... in those cases in the wiki article that JohnR posted those "experts" often wound up coaching the kids into some really, really bizarre -- and false -- charges.

Not saying that's what happened with the rich guy: but it has happened quite a bit in the not too distant past.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    What is "quite a bit"? It has to be statistically relevant for that to apply. I would guess that it is still far more likely for a real child molester to get away with his crime than for one to be falsely accussed. I would wager that the ratio would be massively skewed towards the former.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is what put those poor people in jail 30 years ago -- the fervor to go after the crime of child molestation, a crime deemed to be more horrible than other crimes and thus more worthy of pursuing. Plus, why would the kids lie?

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is quite a bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-care_sex-abuse_hysteria

and it's this kind of hysteria that makes it even more likely that a molester will get away with his or her crime.

And contrary to American Brummie's view, I don't think statistical relevance means much to someone in a case like the one below:

Wee Care Nursery School[edit]
    Main article: Wee Care Nursery School
    In Maplewood, New Jersey, in April 1985,[1] Margaret Kelly Michaels was indicted for 299 offenses in connection with the sexual assault of 33 children.[36] Michaels denied the charges.[37] "The prosecution produced expert witnesses who said that almost all the children displayed symptoms of sexual abuse."[38] Prosecution witnesses testified that the children "had regressed into such behavior as bed-wetting and defecating in their clothing. The witnesses said the children became afraid to be left alone or to stay in the dark."[38] Some of the other teachers testified against her.[38] "The defense argued that Miss Michaels did not have the time or opportunity to go to a location where all the activities could have taken place without someone seeing her."[38] Michaels was sentenced to 47 years in the "sex case."[39] Michaels "told the judge that she was confident her conviction would be overturned on appeal."[39] After five years in prison her appeal was successful and sentence was overturned by a New Jersey appeals court. The New Jersey Supreme Court upheld the lower court's decision and declared "the interviews of the children were highly improper and utilized coercive and unduly suggestive methods."[40] A three judge panel ruled she had been denied a fair trial, because "the prosecution of the case had relied on testimony that should have been excluded because it improperly used an expert's theory, called the child sexual abuse accommodation syndrome, to establish guilt."[41] The original judge was also criticized "for the way in which he allowed the children to give televised testimony from his chambers."[41]

Again, this probably has not much to do with the DuPont heir, but it does mean that the testimony of three year olds isn't always what we would like it to be in a court of law.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Plus it stands to reason that Satanic ritual child abuse will become extremely common if not treated quite severely. Especially now that we have the anti-Christ in the White House.

And don't get me started on flying kids out of state for abuse but getting them back in time for their 2:30 parental pick up...

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm starting to regret that, just last week, among the boxes of books I donated to a book sale at my wife's college, was this classic of the period...

[​IMG]

22. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have no flipping idea how a reported crime can be dropped because it doesn't violate some school policy. That is a reported crime.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a case in Mexico City several years ago (I forget when) in which one police officer was beatten to death as another was fighting off the crowd. They were investigating a Mafia guy who had been kidnapping children. Of course the rumors were that the police were in on it, so this Mafia guy saw the police comming to arrest him, but got everybody think that the police officer was really trying to kidnap somebody's child. Yeah, a rather handy weapon.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last year, I've heard some comments about Harvard specifically that make me not want to become associated with the institution in any way.