Ranking the allocations - using a letter grade

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WPS_Movement, Jan 12, 2013.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    OK first of all I dont think were as far apart here as the argument suggests. For example, my contention that WNY was a good up front as Portland in the response to the idea that having Morgan and Sinclair. meant they were gonna just out score everyone. I really dont see that happening. Now that doesnt mean I would prefer Wambach and Lloyd to Morgan and Sinclair. The opposite is true but that doesnt mean that lloyd, who neither needs nor accepts much help to score and Wambach who turns ridiculously bad passes into goals arent gonna throw up numbers.

As to Lloyd it seems we have a misunderstanding rather than a disagreement.

You said​

The proven scorer in midfield I was talking about was Lloyd and that was ur response was what followed. Now looking at ur later comments I dont think u thought I was talking about Lloyd.

We're never going to agree about VP but before u discount completely what she did in the W League keep in mind that many of the free agents ull see in this league played there last year.

As to Tobin nothing would please me more than for her to have a great season. She is the best interior passer on the big team but every nice play she makes seems offset by trying to dribble thru a crowd the next time. She and Cheney both seem to have been a bit overwhelmed by added responsibilities and I would like to see the new coach focus them on a single task. For Heath Id like to see her in the middle distributing. I dont think she has enough pace to be a wing on the international level. She does have enough speed to play wing in the league so maybe they play her there. Who knows.

2. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I don't disagree with this. I'm not sure what these "ridiculously" bad passes are though. I can't think of too many goals like that. I think so much depends on who fills out the rest of these rosters. I think this will affect my perception of the teams greatly. But even then it's only on paper.

Yes, we crossed wires. I assumed you were talking about VP as an AM. One thing though to be wary of is that national team performance isn't always indicative of league performance. We still have yet to see how Morgan will perform in this regard. Lloyd, Heath, and Rapinoe didn't really thrive as much in the WPS like they did on the USWNT.

I think for Heath it's just about her game maturity. Her skills are already there. But she's got to be smart. I think playing with other top players will help Tobin embrace her role better. I think it would tougher situation actually if she went to a team with more of the spotlight/pressure resting on her shoulders.

3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Not sure what Pia did but Press didn't play midefield in Göteborg, fact is she was pretty much the only player that never played outised her main position (she and the goalkeper).
    I don't know if Tyresö decided to play her as a midefilder but given that they have one of the best Midfield in the World (Marta, Seger, Vero etc.) and was lacking a effective top-forward last year they would be crazy if the did.

4. Mimsy Borogoves

Sep 6, 2009
    Here's a quote from Christen's new Coach ( via Google Translate ) :

"In Christen Press, we get a very quick forward with its main characteristics in depth game both with and without the ball and with a tactical know-how to quickly adapt to the way we play. A forward who can use both centrally and on the edge. It is a player I had the privilege to work with during the Olympics 2012th There, she taught, just like Meghan Klingenberg, an admirable willingness to constantly evolve and get better. She is a real "goal-getter" who always has an eye on where the target is and who alone can turn a half chance into a scoring opportunity. With his speed and löpvilja she gives us another dimension to our depth games, "said Tony Gustavsson.

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, here's how the league apparently ranked their allocation:
    1) Portland
    2) Seattle
    3) Western New York
    4) Boston
    5) Sky Blue
    6) Kansas City
    7) Washington
    8) Chicago

This is the inverse of the draft order which:
    "The draft order was determined with assistance from a panel of experts and agreed upon by all eight clubs. The panel ranked the strength of each club based on their allocated players, and conducted a weighted draw."

This came from a Western New York press release.

6. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Not necessarily. It was a weighted draw not just the reverse of the panel's ranking. While much of it generally conforms to the impressions we have about the relative strength of the teams I doubt KC would have gotten the third pick if the panel simply declared the draft order themselves. Since there was a draw there was some element of chance although with the odds stacked.

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did think that highly of KC's allocation, but I do think it was better than Sky Blue. Other than that, it doesn't look that much different than many people would have thought.

So basically, they did something like an NBA draft, where a bunch of balls are put into a bin, with the lowest rated allocation having the most chances and the highest rated allocation has the fewest.