Rangers 2009 - 2010 thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Pedro's greasy do, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  2. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    RANGERS Football Club today published its annual financial results for the year ending 30 June 2009.

During the financial year the Club:-

• Regained the Scottish Premier League Championship
    • Won the Homecoming Scottish Cup
    • Secured participation in the UEFA Champions League

Financial results included:-

• Turnover £39.7 million (2008 - £64.5m)
    • Net operating expenses £48.2 million (2008 - £56.8m)
    • £10.9 million decrease in commercial revenues due to lack of European participation
    • £13 million decline in ticketing, hospitality, events and catering income due to a 19-match reduction over 2008-2009 season
    • Loss for the year of £12.7 million (2008 - profit of £7.2m)
    • Net debt of £31.1 million (2008 - £21.6m)

Alastair Johnston, Chairman of Rangers Football Club said: "This annual report reflects a season which ended with us regaining the SPL title, winning the Homecoming Scottish Cup and qualifying for this season's UEFA Champions League.

"Throughout the financial year the Club operated in the most challenging economic climate for many years. In broad terms, the failure of the Club to participate in the Champions League last season and the recession had the most significant impact on the Club's financial performance.

"The financial results, compared with a record turnover in 2008, underlines the tremendous importance of qualification for the Champions League as well as the need to operate efficiently in a severe economic downturn.

"We are delighted to have qualified for this year's Champions League and the football management team, the players and the Chief Executive are to be warmly congratulated for ensuring the Club could achieve that objective.

"Walter Smith and Martin Bain have continued to do an excellent job for the Club in challenging circumstances.

"There has been extraordinary speculation recently about the financial status of Rangers. When I became Chairman I was fully aware of the position. The reality is that, while we have endured a tough economic spell, we have the support of those who finance the Club.

"Our debt is manageable and by no means extraordinary in the football world and any decision on the departure of players will be entirely the Club's.

"The economic climate means challenges still lie ahead, as they do throughout football, and I am confident Rangers will meet them successfully. All of us at Rangers Football Club will spare no effort in striving for success in all areas of the Club's business."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/...results-20091112_2254024_1873842/0,,5,00.html

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    BINGO! What about the heartless pigs who ripped Israeli football clubs in the CL, displayed Palestinian flags (you know the MASSIVE population of Palestinian-Scots Celtic fans) or Celtic fan who did 9/11 airplane toward an American Ranger player.

4. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know how it is in the UK and with footie, but in the US if a game gets called your tickets are still good for the replay.

6. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Most of the time I think it's the same in the UK. Not sure what Utd are playing at here.

7. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009

Would be available on a bosman (perfect) and wouldn't be that much in wages.

Could do a lot worse.

8. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Have you seen him play?

9. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Not for Houston Dynamo, but I have for the US and he's looked very good.

Would be a good option as I think Thomson will struggle this season, Davis and/or Mendes will be off and Edu is still injured.

10. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    He ain't bad...never likely to be a star either. It isn't like Rangers have many of those these days anyway.

11. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Rangers v Kilmarnock

Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League
    Venue: Ibrox Stadium Date: Saturday 21 November Kick-off: 1500 GMT
    Coverage: BBC Radio Scotland and BBC Sport website, with online highlights available from 1800 GMT on Sunday

Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra is unlikely to feature following his World Cup play-off exertions with Algeria.
    Midfielder DaMarcus Beasley is struggling with a hamstring strain, Steven Whittaker returns from injury but Pedro Mendes remains sidelined.
    Mark Burchill and Allan Russell are close to returning for Kilmarnock after recovering from an Achilles operation and a broken hand, respectively.
    Defender Simon Ford, back in training after a knee injury, is still out.
    Rangers manager Walter Smith:
    "We have just been starting to show a level of form and consistency in performances that we hadn't shown in the earlier part of the season.
    "Our previous game at Kilmarnock was a poor one from our own point of view and we were very fortunate to come away with a draw that day.
    "But we have been doing better recently and have picked up our performances. I hope that's something the international break hasn't interfered with and that we can carry on the way we have been doing.
    "We will have to show we can do far better than we did in the game at Rugby Park."
    Kilmarnock manager Jim Jefferies on the likely duel between striker Kevin Kyle and Rangers youngster Danny Wilson:
    "It will be an education for anyone who plays against Kyle.
    "He is a big, physical guy and I think Rangers respect him.
    "But what we have tried not to do is just lump the ball up to him because he is very good at taking the ball into feet and laying it off.
    "We want to get it wide and produce a quality ball because, if you put it in the box, he is a dangerous man.
    "He is such a physical presence, he won't mess about but we have to provide the service."
    Rangers: (from) McGregor, Whittaker, Papac, Weir, Wilson, Davis, McCulloch, Novo, Miller, Naismith, Fleck, Boyd, Ness, Rothen, Thomson, Lafferty, Smith, Alexander.
    Kilmarnock: (from) Brown, Hay, Fowler, Wright, Old, Hamill, Skelton, Taouil, Invincibile, Bryson, Sammon, Fernandez, Kyle, Brown, Robinson, Burchill, Flannigan, Owens, Kelly, Russell, Bell.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8369535.stm

12. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Great weekend of fitbaw! :) I don't think I need to say more than that.

13. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    And not long after I suggested Holden, we were linked with a move for him.

Maybe I should become a scout.

14. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
  15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I sent Edu a tweet the other day asking him his thoughts about that--unsurprisingly, he didn't respond.

16. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Everyone seems to be on this twitter nonsense. It's ridiculous. Does the internet mean you need up-to-the-second updates on someone else's life?

Mini-rant over.

17. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009

must-win game if we're to have any hope of qualifying for the last 16.

I'd go with this:

McGregor

Whittaker Weir Wilson Papac

Naismith Davis Thomson Beasley

Boyd Miller​

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    It took me a long time to see any utility in twitter, but I eventually did mainly for professional purposes. Using it as mini facebook or something like some people do would drive me nuts I think.

19. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I actually really like it! But I use it for work. Actually if I did not have it for work I would be doing a very poor job. Same with Facebook.

I've noticed some interesting trends with Facebook and Twitter. They are really big in the South. I don't know what it is about Scotland but there's not as many users although Facebook has taken off in the last years or so.

20. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    13:59 GMT, Monday, 23 November 2009
    Rangers v Stuttgart

Champions League
    Venue: Ibrox Date: Tuesday 24 November Kick-off: 1945 GMT
    Coverage: BBC Radio Scotland, BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live and Sky Sports 3

Rangers will be without winger Jerome Rothen for their must-win Champions League meeting with Stuttgart.

Rothen is suffering from sinus trouble, while Steven Naismith is a doubt with both a hamstring and calf strain.

Striker Kris Boyd, often overlooked for European ties, also has a calf injury, but has a better chance of being fit.

Manager Walter Smith has yet to decide whether to include Madjid Bougherra, following the defender's late return from international duty with Algeria.

If Bougherra is not selected, teenager Danny Wilson will retain his place alongside skipper David Weir in central defence.

US international winger DaMarcus Beasley is back in contention after recovering from a hamstring injury.

But Pedro Mendes, Maurice Edu and Kirk Broadfoot remain on the sidelines for Rangers as they bid to keep their slim hopes of qualifying alive.

The Scottish champions sit bottom of the section, with two points from four games, and travel to already-qualified Sevilla for their final tie.

Victory for Romanian side Unirea at home to the Spaniards, however, would eliminate Rangers from the tournament, even if Smith's team beats Stuttgart.

Rangers (from): McGregor, Whittaker, Papac, Weir, Wilson, Davis, Thomson, McCulloch, Naismith, Novo, Miller, Fleck, Boyd, Lafferty, Smith, Beasley, Bougherra, Alexander.

21. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Simply not good enough. But I think we already knew that.

22. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    I wasn't even surprised. I didn't even get that "gutted" feeling you usually get when Rangers concede. It's become so predictable in Europe.

23. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Hang on a sec.

That's not how the song goes...

24. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'd say it was 50/50 how it will go this season. We're bad but we're just lucky Celtic are a bit worse at the moment. The transfer window will be important.

25. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamie Ness will be next Rangers kid to get first-team action, says boss Walter Smith
    Nov 29 2009 Euan Mclean, Sunday Mail

WALTER SMITH is ready to unleash another Rangers superkid after the success of rookie defender Danny Wilson.

The Ibrox boss has picked out midfielder Jamie Ness as the next rising star.

And the 18-year-old is set to follow in the footsteps of Murray Park graduates Wilson and John Fleck before the end of the year.

But Smith insists he won't throw his talented kids to the lions by keeping them in the spotlight for too long.

The 61-year-old gaffer has seen too many promising talents fall by the wayside after struggling to handle the Old Firm circus.

Smith said: "Jamie will be an excellent player.

"He's an athletic boy and can play. Jamie has been unfortunate with injuries so he's only now getting to the stage where he has had fairly consistent football.

"Hopefully within the next few weeks we will get a view of him.

"The biggest worry for these young players is the hype that surrounds them.

"People come in saying they want to sign them here, there and everywhere.

"It would be beneficial to let these lads get on with their football. Everybody else gets carried away but I am placed firmly in charge of them.

"At the moment they are getting what I think is the proper introduction to life at a club like Rangers. They will not be overplayed.

"Fleck will get a few more games this season.

"After that I would be looking for him to be a steady performer for us.

"But we have to look after him and it's the same for Wilson.

"He will play games but there will be periods when he goes out the team then comes back in.

"That's the proper way for us to handle their situation considering these lads are only 17 and 18.

"This is a difficult environment for any young player to be in."