Random Question: MLS teams returning to NASL?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by Soccer4USA, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Soccer4USA

Soccer4USA New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Hi everyone. I am new here and not quite sure where to post this. Maybe someone can help me to place this in a separate thread to discuss. My questions to everyone are:

Teams from MLS returning to NASL?

What do you think about the following teams returning to the NASL?
    Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Jose, and Montreal.

What would it mean for both MLS and the NASL? Are these five teams strong enough to live without MLS and succeed together in the NASL? I think these are valid points because all the teams are very successful and have been building themselves years before ever joining MLS. Can these teams together with the NASL bring the TV networks and help build the NASL further? This would potentially give the NASL 18 teams including the expansion teams coming in 2014 and 2015, while leaving MLS with 16 teams or 17 with Miami. Can MLS survive without these five teams? Who has more to lose and who has more to gain? Perhaps this gives MLS a window to create teams in other cities. So there you have it folks...Some questions to ponder on. And seriously, let's be adults and respectful with the answers. Interested in your detailed thoughts (and not "no way; never gonna happen; you're dreaming; yeah right; impossible; it will fail; I stopped reading at...; and all of the rest of one liners without specifics). Take care and stay positive in all your lives.

2. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .....?

Bluesfan repped this.
  3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has to be a joke, right?

Bluesfan repped this.
  4. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *gets gasoline and matches*
    The only way this happens is via promotion and relegation
    *lights fire, runs away*

5. Soccer4USA

Soccer4USA New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Can someone put the questions in a separate thread? It would make it easier to discuss there. Thanks.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That question doesn't even deserve to exist to say nothing of having its own thread.

And that's an adult response to what you posted since you obviously no nothing about MLS, NASL or North American soccer in general.

ManuSooner repped this.
  7. Soccer4USA

Soccer4USA New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    ? I am not sure who I am speaking to, but I hope that this is not the norm in this forum. The assumption you made is troubling as you have never met me or know of my experience. But I will leave it at that as you are one individual with their own opinion.

8. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Seriously. I have no idea how to answer this OTHER THAN "No way", "Never gonna happen", etc...
    And LITERALLY I stopped reading at a certain point. Sorry dude

athletics68 repped this.
  9. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you said is analogous to "What if The Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, and Pittsburgh Steelers all left the NFL and joined the Arena Football League?" ?!???

10. Soccer4USA

Soccer4USA New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    NFL and AFL? You are comparing two different sports to MLS and NASL which form part of the same sport... I must admit that I am a bit disappointed by the entry from a few thus far. I am not going to say what I do, but a few friends of mine in the business did say that there were some interesting people here that could share some constructive responses. I now see what they meant by interesting, and I guess they might have been joking. Best to all.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you friends think anything you said is close to a rational question please tell them to get out of the business quickly. They have nothing to offer the soccer world and should find a new line of work. Preferably one with unicorns...

ManuSooner repped this.
  12. Soccer4USA

Soccer4USA New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Ok. I will make sure to tell them that some random person who they have never met or possibly care to, who is the chairman of the board, visionary of soccer business, multi-billionaire, and leader of the free world sends his firm message...I am twittering it right now. Ciao.

13. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The MLS is THE established league in the US and Canada now. The MLS has gotten oer that hump and is here to stay as the top league. Vancouver, Portland and Seattle have all been rivals of the Cascadia Cup for years now through different leagues and not until they have all joined the MLS they did not see even near the popularity support, attendance, and stadiums of such quality until they got to the MLS.
    I just dont see any of these teams taking a chance or have any reason to go to the NASL.

Montreal has just built there new soccer specific stadium and moving to the MLS meant using the option to expand it. Being in the MLS was the reason they needed to expand.

San Jose will finally be getting its new soccer specific stadium and that is all being funded with the expectation that they will be in the top tier, established MLS.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  15. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    He joined today to post this gem. My money is on troll, but God knows that these boards attract some 'special' folks.

athletics68 and ManuSooner repped this.
  16. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Awwwww. Yur so cute when trying to troll

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting to wonder if we have a sock quite frankly.

18. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Faulty premise. Montreal was the only organization to actually play in the NASL. The other four could not return.

19. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not faulty. All the others played in the NASL in the 70s and early 80s

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically none of them played in either NASL. They're all different franchises with the same name as previous NASL entries.

Eric B repped this.
  21. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, let's start this debate again. Just what the thread needs!

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be worse. Another newer poster could show up suggesting that MLS teams will abandon the league to join NASL... oh wait.

23. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    At least he's an original troll

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Still on NASL forums this week we've already had suggestions that NASL form teams all over Central America and the Caribbean, that they should start play in as many cities as possible without regard for any of the challenges in various suggested cities (basically the throw shit at the wall and see what sticks plan), and now that NASL poach MLS teams that have the names of former NASL 1.0 and 2.0 franchises...

So while he was original, he's part of a disturbing trend of either really bad jokes, stupidity or just plain trolling.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this exchange rather amusing, although completely off-topic from the original thread. Still I think its completed its cycle. If the OP wishes to ask more questions, feel free to do so.

I'm locking it for now.