Railhawks v Atlanta 4/14

Discussion in 'North Carolina FC' started by CHHSfan, Apr 14, 2012.

1. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a game. The offense looks like it is gelling and Zimmerman is really taking the role of the best striker. The defense... not so much. Hopefully they can tighten it up back there and soon. Big props to the ATL supporters as well. PS, I know somebody had to get a video of the fight, and I want to see what exactly happened there. Looked cordial enough between the 2 teams after the fight.

2. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Great game, really enjoyed it, Carolina should be at the top of the standings this year and Atlanta will not finish last!

Enjoyed this game so much more than the Toronto FC Vs Chivas MLS game on TV today!

3. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It was my first Railhawks game. As a former Red Bulls season ticket holder, i was familiar with Nick Zimmerman and glad he played such a big role. Besides the 2 goals he set up a few golden opportunities that weren't finished. Thought Carolina could have easily had 6 or 7 goals. Was a few times where someone just couldn't get the ball out from under their feet in the box.

Was impressed with the #5, the midfielder... seemed to be covering a lot of ground and influencing things on offense and defense.

Left back...#3, got taken to school in the first half repeatedly, kept really getting caught out of position or just beaten in a foot race. Better in the second half when not going forward so much.

And on the game-ending fight... i could have sworn i saw the 4th official get taken down when stepping into it. Did i see that right?

4. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

"The fourth referee hit the ground and more players ran in. By the time all was broken up, the main referee issued red cards to Ackley and Colaluca and abandoned the match."

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/15/2002211/carolina-railhawks-home-opener.html

&

" ... Colaluca lunged forward and inadvertently threw a shoulder block into the chest of fourth official Tyler McCauley, knocking him to the turf."

http://www.indyweek.com/triangleoff...ks-and-atlanta-silverbacks-battle-to-4-4-draw

In the land of NASCAR & pro wrestling, NASL has hit on a new marketing strategy to attract the casual sports fan. ;)

5. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We're still undefeated in the Colin Clarke era!

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I didn't stay for the second half. Did Shipalane have his short on correctly, or are they letting him continue to wear them backwards?

8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow, he's still doing that?

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He was in the preseason.

Frankly, I wouldn't allow it. Players are crazy and superstitious enough as it is. It absolutely screams "head case". Stop worrying about your shorts and go create some offense!

I'm also surprised he's never been carded for "improper equipment". If I recall an MLS team (the Crew?) ended up losing a crucial CCC/CCL game in Mexico in a imbroglio that ensued after he re-entered the game after replacing his jersey (which had blood on it) with one that didn't have a number on the back.

10. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, there are studies suggesting that superstitions like that really do improve performance, so maybe his coaches have all decided it's harmless and might give him a slight mental boost so why the hell not just roll with it.

But yeah, I agree about the improper equipment being a risk I'm surprised he hasn't run into yet.

11. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    How was the atmosphere? Good crowd? I wish I could have attended but I am in the finishing stages of the USSF season.

12. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I saw the highlights on the website. That looked like an open game where the attack was happening all night. Highly entertaining from what it looked like.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great camera angle for the 'fight' at the end. Just makes the Atlanta kid look ridiculous. I laughed out loud how he jumped up to smack the ball all of a sudden while we were about to do our throw-in. What a punk.

15. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I appreciate the effort on our guys part to show sportsmanship afterward and go over and start shaking hands.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about 99% certain that the referee was from NY and I know the guy.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    JC Rivero. I've seen him do a number of games including the Harrison City at Rochester USL semifinal in Rochester last August.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes indeed, that would be him...
    M