RailHawks 2012 roster speculation

Discussion in 'North Carolina FC' started by SoccerPrime, Nov 7, 2011.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time again for some roster speculation, Railhawks style.

I just read this interesting article from earlier this week in the Vancouver Sun talking about, you guessed it, Barbara following Ritchie and Rennie to the Whitecaps.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/11/01/etienne-barbara-vancouver-bound/

I found it interesting that the blog article makes no attempt to actually talk about how the Whitecaps could get Barbara. From what I have gathered, the Chicago Fire actually hold Barbara's MLS rights. So Vancouver would have to trade something to Chicago for those rights. My guess is that Carolina only has a 1 year deal with Barbara. Thats normal at Div2 soccer. If I were a betting man, I would think Rennie and Vancouver make it happen. Most likely Barbara will be gone for 2012 for the Railhawks.

What about Campos? Franks, Knighton, Zimmerman and Steele all had good years and could go (back) to MLS.

2. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I don't think anyone holds Barbara's MLS rights. Chicago might have put a discovery claim on Barbara. Basically it comes down to who put the claim in first. And since discovery lists are kept private, we don't know. I'd imagine Vancouver also put in a claim on Barbara and some other NASL players Rennie likes before Sept 15th. If Chicago can't work out something with Barabra or lost interest, then whoever filed the claim next would get a shot. So the Whitecaps could sign him. I honestly think Barbara doesn't care. As long as he is in MLS. To be honest, MLS's discovery claim rule really is silly and needs to be dropped.

Also, Montreal has first dibs on at least one NASL player, which might supersede any discovery claim. We don't know.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I checked with MLS and Carolina this past season, they said Chicago had the discovery claim. I am fairly certain it stays theirs unless they decide to drop it. I remember the Fire had one on Jeremiah White as well, and every pre-season he trials with Philly (2 years running now), Union being able to get White's MLS rights from Fire comes up.

I agree though, I don't know how the "Montreal gets any 1 NASL player they want" rule works in correspondence to the discovery claims. They would be smart to go after him.

I think the main thing we can get from all this talk, is Barbara is gone.

The real question now is, who replaces him and who else leaves?

4. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoke with Alan Russell last night at a function for our club where he coaches. He's heading to LA Blues for next season.

5. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Zimmerman joins defenders Kupono Low and Cory Miller, and Goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald on the RailHawks roster for the 2012 NASL Season. More player announcements will be forthcoming in the following weeks."

http://www.carolinarailhawks.com/index.php?id=111&newsid=1625

Good to see Nick come back. We'll need some attack to replace Etienne and possibly Campos.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Barbara actually signed with anyone else yet?

8. BicycleKicks

BicycleKicks Member

Mar 19, 2011
    veclub.org
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious about Tyler Lassiter. Is his loan done? What's he going to do after that?

9. stevebeau

stevebeau Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda liked to hate Gaudette. Oh well, he should play well. As for Lassiter, I'm not quite sure, but he is a local, so if he signs, I wouldn't be shocked.

11. BicycleKicks

BicycleKicks Member

Mar 19, 2011
    veclub.org
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the Whitecaps are talking to Montreal about a trade...

13. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Brad Knighton to the Whitecaps.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/01/whitecaps-fc-acquire-goalkeeper-brad-knighton

Barbara is probably praying they are.

I think Barbara expected a lot more interest in him from MLS and abroad based on his NASL season. And a nice pay hike. But dominating D2 at age 29 in North America, against inferior competition, is not really going to excite anyone in MLS or overseas. So he shouldn't be insulted when Jesse Marsch doesn't know him and wants to see video of him. Not many follow the NASL or care that he scored 20 goals there. The level isn't respected yet.

He needs to prove himself at a level above D2 in America or the Malta league before the money comes. Hope he gets his D1 chance.

14. BicycleKicks

BicycleKicks Member

Mar 19, 2011
    veclub.org
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me of Tommy Heinemann. He flew through the ranks from Richmond (IIRC) > Charleston > Carolina > Columbus Crew... but has he been performing at a reasonable level for the Crew? Judging from playing time and goals it seems like his production has gone down quite a bit. However, he's something like 5 years younger than Barbara and I suppose has potential and the time to improve.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Inside Minnesota Soccer...

Carolina RailHawks

Players who were signed to multi-year contracts in 2011: Kithson Bain, Brian Farber, Akira Fitzgerald, Tony McManus, Cory Miller, Nick Thompson.

Players whose options were retained for 2012: Akira Fitzgerald and Cory Miller.

Players whose options were not retained for 2012: Kithson Bain, Brian Farber, Tony McManus, Nick Thompson.

18. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. I was expecting McManus to be back.

19. BicycleKicks

BicycleKicks Member

Mar 19, 2011
    veclub.org
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agbossoumonde rejected a deal to play in MLS and so it sounds like the Traffic Sports contracted player will spend time in Carolina.

Nice pick up and quality defensive upgrade for the Railhawks.

21. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, Russell went to the LA Blues. I think Clarke will get a few of his guys here with his North Irish and Carribean connections.

22. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out: Marques Davidson. Three guesses where.

23. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Alan Russell is gone. Signed with the LA Blues in the USL-Pro.

And man did Traffic mess up Agbossoumonde's career. He could of been Tim Ream or George John now in England if he went to MLS early. Or any of the other players going abroad this year in good situations after being developed in MLS.

There is no way he should be even thinking about playing D2 in the NASL. He needs to be facing much better competition if he seriously wants to be on the U-23 team and get a good contract in Europe. He is only going to get worse and not better. But Traffic is Traffic. Damn.

24. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am loving Vancouver and Rennie more and more. If they ever get out to DC, I'd try to make it out.