RailHawks 2012 Pre-Season Thread

Discussion in 'North Carolina FC' started by longballer, Mar 7, 2012.

1. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody see tonight's match vs. UNC-W? Thoughts?

2. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must admit that I spent most of my time sneaking beers from the trunk of my car and chatting with fellow fans, but a few thoughts:

Santiago Fusilier was in camp after taking a year off. Last seen at Crystal Palace Baltimore

Sam Stockley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Stockley) looked pretty solid at left back. He'll probably make the team, but maybe not as a regular starter.

Ty Shipalane still wears his shorts backwards

John Krause was at centerback, apparently only arriving in camp that morning

Good to see Nick Millington there, he's such a small guy though will be interested to see how he can contribute

Tommy Drake looks solid for someone that didn't play anywhere professionally last year. Very technical player and will be great if we play a possession game. (Disclaimer, I'm friends with his mother so I may be a bit biased)

Probably should have had 2-3 goals, but not surprising given the mashup lineup of trialists.

3. CRHFC

CRHFC New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Krause was actually on the bench for the Whitecaps friendly.

4. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great. Thanks for the observations. I guess Shipalane is superstitious about his shorts? I'm glad to see Krause back in the fold.

During the Whitecaps game, there were folks in the stands giving Drake a hard time for his heavy first touch. If he sat out awhile, this explains why he looked a little rusty. What's his story? Where did he play before?

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    At a certain point, that's got to limit his career. It just screams "headcase". Unless he's in the 10-15 goals/season range, I'm not sure he's worth it.

(it feels good to be able to be an opinionated, critical member of the media and/or a fan again)

6. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, yup. I utterly love everything being back.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I was referring to a change in my employment status. But yeah, it's good to have soccer again.

8. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I hadn't heard yet. I take it congratulations are in order?

Gotta love the start of the season.

9. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy, I often wondered if your profession got in the way much of your fandom. Seems like a little too much business and pleasure to me. I need an escape when I leave work...

Craig, Andy used to be the RailHawks' official photographer, hence the reason he restrained himself from talking smack about them on the boards.

10. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tommy is a local lad, played with TFC coming up and has played for Dewan Bader for many years. In fact, here's a photo I shot of him playing U17s about 6 years ago..

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wjarrettc/213530029/in/set-72157594234475638"]IMG_3922 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

Played at Clemson for 4 years and then trained with the RailHawks and the U23s after college. IIRC, he suffered some sort of injury during pre-season last year that prevented him from catching on with the RHs or signing with another squad. I'm pretty sure he played with that pretty successful U23s team last summer.

I've known his mom for years (mainly from these soccer boards), so I'm very happy for both of them to see him in RailHawks orange this season.

11. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm wondering if the fact that he isn't now means he's moving on to cooler things.

12. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he settles in and does well. I look forward to seeing him play. Is left mid his natural position?

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not really. I've never been an employee, just a per-event contractor. Minor league finances are tough. The RailHawks budget and my financial requirements no longer meet. If they cross paths again, I would love to resume shooting for the team. I had a blast the last couple of years, and it was a rewarding experience. The vast majority of my sports photography is of an editorial/news/features type. While I have and continue to shoot for sports clients on a per event basis (I work most of the big events for MLS, for example), that's not quite the same thing as being the game-in/game-out team guy. There's only so many photos of the left back bring the ball up the field that you need. I really enjoyed the freedom to try different things, to capture the stories, both on and off the field. If you go through the facebook galleries I put up of the RailHawks games, you'll get a far richer experience and story than you do of other games I shoot - including the Vancouver/Carolina game. That game was back in my more mercenary, take and process the images I can make money off of. The kid in the crowd, or other "setting" shots, aren't going to help me recoup my costs. As such, I doubt that will shoot many RailHawks games this year.

I was a RailHawks fan prior to taking the gig two years ago, and I remain a RailHawks fan. Like Jarrett said, I do, however get to be more candid now. I have a lot of friends (and no enemies that I'm aware of) in the organization, and I do want them to win.

14. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got the Charlotte preseason game scheduled for Friday @ 2:00. I've now been told that's wrong . It should be Thursday @ 2:00. Can someone clarify? :confused:

15. SoccerDawgs911

SoccerDawgs911 BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 18, 2010
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Schilawski had a good effort on goal following a Stockley cross. The shot was deflected for a corner kick." Was Zack trying out for RH today?

16. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there were several players in camp Thursday and Saturday that weren't there previously. Austin da Luz was another one.

With Vancouver having a couple of key injuries, the rumor of the Omar Salgado loan has quieted down a bit and that probably opens up a slot up top for Zach.

In other news, social media chatter seems to indicate that Cory Miller is no longer with the team. He's still listed on the website roster but it sounds like Thursday was his last day with the team. I'm hearing several players may have been cut after the Charleston game but cannot confirm yet.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread title: Railhawks 2012 Pre-Season Thread
    Dead for: 9 months

Totally appropriate to put that here. #doingitwrong

Bluesfan and CHHSfan repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe no one uses this forum, no one has anything to say, and there is no need for a discussion.

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.richmondkickers.com/home/904405.html

The preseason test will continue with a home and away series against the Carolina RailHawks, with the Kickers hosting the NASL side at City Stadium on March 16 at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $10 and 2016 Season Tickets will be accepted at this match.