Rafa Marquez at FC Energy Drink VOl I

Discussion in 'Mexicans Abroad' started by sidspaceman, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Heard he got redcarded today and all the nads are crucifying him again. Didn't watch the game, but I found out because I saw him trending on twitter.

2. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
  3. Talisman

Talisman Member+

Aug 5, 2011
    Stamford, CT
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wished he would've gone to Juventus back in 2010 :unsure:

It's called FOOTBALL and LGRod repped this.
  4. Talisman

Talisman Member+

Aug 5, 2011
    Stamford, CT
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hope he leaves New York Red Bulls

LGRod repped this.
  5. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL I'm finding this hilarious actually

The way he plays, it's clear he's just there to collect his pay check. It's almost as if he doesn't want to play and he's looking to get the red so as to go chillax back home.

The way he went in for those tackles, you can tell he doesn't give a ********. And then after the game he comes out and says he wishes to remain with the Red Bulls even though it's been a bitter ending... LOL talk about a troll

It's clear everyone hates him now but he doesn't care, he's getting his big pay checks, advertising his cologne, hitting the fashion shows, and living the life in New York. :notworthy:

Robert_08, Azul88 and LGRod repped this.
  6. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Why did he listen to his wife? :thumbsdown: ;)
    A couple of seasons in another top tier league before going back home would've been nice.

Talisman and LGRod repped this.
  7. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I don't think Rafa is in NY solely to collect a pay check.

He's a competitor and wants to win. If anything, it's obvious he underestimated certain aspects of the league and might have overestimated the players on the RedBulls squad. The team, overall, is just not very good. It's painful watching Thierry Henry attempt a give and go and make a run into space only for Dax McCarty and Joel Lindpere to trip over the ball.

Last night, RB could've scored three or four goals, they even missed a PK shortly before Rafa was sent off.

As far as Rafa goes, he's barely been healthy this season but when he has, he has been solid. I understand why RB fans would have beef with him, given his salary and how little he has contributed this season but the frustration is palpable on some players' faces, like Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill but there is obviously a certain amount of bias and hatred directed at him because he's Mexican. RB fans were livid when he called out Tim Ream last year (indirectly) and now the kid is riding pine at Bolton in the championship because of his lack of concentration, which is what Rafa was talking about last year.

I mean, MLS has improved a lot in most areas but they are still substantially lacking in the most important one, level of play. A few teams are exceptions to this. I think Seattle and DC play some aesthetically pleasing footie at times but the games are link pinball, the ball just bounces back and forth and there is often little semblance of offensive organization and or creativity. Rafa shouldn't be the one pushing up into the midfield every time he has the ball in order to initiate attacks.

It's been disappointing, as someone who has a soft spot for the Metrostars aka Red Bulls. Some really good players, albeit declining, have come through here. Youri Djorkaeff, Juan Pablo Angel, Amado Guevara and now Henry, Cahill and Marquez. There is just not enough balance on the team.

Shit, even Tepa Jimenez was solid a few years ago when RB made it to the MLS Cup Final.

BrianInVA repped this.
  8. BrianInVA

BrianInVA Member+

Mar 24, 2008
    Lake Ridge
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Actually watched the match last night. First MLS match I've seen in probably a couple years. He was having a decent game, but being on a yellow (which was pretty pointless), after the PK debacle, I was expecting him to be subbed for this very reason. DC seemed to put more speed on his side in the last 30 or so minutes of the game and it seemed a matter of time before the idiot with the mustache at LB would get skinned and Rafa'd be in a bad situation. I guess my problem with the situation is that he hasn't done anything to try to ingratiate himself or make them look silly for hating them. He just keeps giving them reasons to continue to blast him. They were gonna hate him when he got there, but rather than just rise above it and try to lead, he's just shown no humility, IMO. I'm a big Rafa fan, but he hasn't done himself any favors in NY.

Boxy Brown and ...In my defense repped this.
  9. BrianInVA

BrianInVA Member+

Mar 24, 2008
    Lake Ridge
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This is a good point. Henry's expression last night showed some serious frustration with his teammates (so it seemed to me). It seemed like every five minutes he had a "no mames" look on his face at one of the other players.

10. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Yeah Rafa certainly has done himself no favors when it comes to the fans in NY.

It's a recurring theme in NY.

For a good chunk of the season, you'd find Henry dropping back into the midfield just to get touches on the ball and help create danger. Sometimes teams are better than the sum of their parts but that has never been the case with NY under Backe.

Thank god I decided against driving to New Jersey for last night's game. I really wanted to go since I think this will be Rafa's last game with NY but at the same time I knew the team wasn't going to win so I said f*ck it.

11. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I feel bad for Henry, Cahill, Marquez. They are just levels ahead of the team, sometimes they mesh and other times when the tempo needs to be picked up only those 3 player are able to do it. I personally think RB needs a DP midfielder.

12. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I don't think the answer is for NY to go out and get a DP midfielder.

If you look at the impact guys like Bernardez, Mario Martinez and Boniek Garcia have had in MLS, it's ridiculous that more MLS teams haven't gone down to Panama or Honduras to pick up players on the cheap.

Overall, NY's scouting is really bad, even when it comes to the college draft which is funny when one thinks about the fact that some of the best midfielders over the last decade in MLS were drafted by NY. Guys like Eddie Gaven (homegrown player), Ricardo Clark and Brad Davis, who all went on to have tremendous success with other teams.

NY thought with a core of Henry, Marquez and Cahill, it would give them a good spine to build team around but Cahill just arrived and Rafa has been injured for most of the season.

13. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Que chingaos pasa aqui?

14. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    NY lost and Rafa got two yellows last night.

NY fans shitting on Rafa and Rafa looking disinterested as f*ck.

wash, rinse and repeat.

Rebaño_Sagrado and Azul88 repped this.
  15. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No, I'm talking about all this MLS talk

'inches spazzos in our midst:D

It's called FOOTBALL and BrianInVA repped this.
  16. BrianInVA

BrianInVA Member+

Mar 24, 2008
    Lake Ridge
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    haha... the problem is that rafa gives even less of a f*k about MLS than we do.

Athazagoraphobia and Naquisima repped this.
  17. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    don't we all bruh.. don't we all.

18. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I'm not sure the Honduran League and club owners would be too happy if MLS starts pillaging their league for talent.

One thing is for sure though, these guys that are coming to MLS are proving to be mentally, tactically and technically superior to their MLS counterparts.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think the higher rated players will always find a way to Europe, but the players who are on the cusp of that, will manage to find a home in the MLS, then make a jump.

Either way, its a win-win for us.

...In my defense repped this.
  20. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'd agree, except for the fact that he looks SO disinterested whenever I see him play for the red bulls. I've never seen him play so carelessly in my life, not even friendly games; it's almost as if he doesn't really care how the team does, he just wants to pay his due by kicking a soccer ball around for 90 minutes.

A competitive Rafa? Just two years ago when he turned it on at the world cup against France. The dude was a complete wall and the reason for the first goal.

We all know how Rafa can play when he gets competitive. That's not how he's been playing with the red bulls.

21. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If that's all it takes sign me up. I'll be Henry's 2 to his 1.

22. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    I <3 Rafa Marquez.

El Mariachi and LGRod repped this.
  23. GiLDRiSTA

GiLDRiSTA Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yesterday on La Ultima Palabra, el gato Vargas dropped a bomb.

Rafa Marquez al Atlas.

How true is this, me don't know but I sure do hope this goes through. :x3:

24. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hope it doesn't stunt Hugo Rodriguez or Pollo Bricenos progress.

25. GiLDRiSTA

GiLDRiSTA Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No recuerdo donde escuche que a Hugo Rodriguez ya lo tenia Tigres amarrado para el proximo torneo. Despues de Ayala y Torres Nilo, adquirio al Alonso Zamora quien suma muy pocos minutos en el presente torneo. Atlas ha vendido cada joven promesa que surge a los equipos regios por causa de sus malos manejos y hambre por hacer ingresar dinero al club, algo lamentable para el aficionado Atlista.

No creo que retrase el crecimiento de Rodriguez y Briceno, al contrario creo que seria un maestro entre alumnos. :)

LGRod and Sleepy Spaceman repped this.