Radio show moving to ESPN 790 AM

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, May 1, 2005.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn Davis' soccer radio show, which has been airing on Pacifica 90.1 FM (streaming live at www.kpft.org), on Sundays at 5:00 pm, will move to ESPN 790 AM, The Sports Animal, on Wednesdays at 9:00 pm:
    Soccer Notebook, Houston Chronicle

The link to the new show is up at the ESPN 790 site.

Seems like great news to me. The show goes from a listener-supported, non-profit station that most people don't know about, to a mainstream, commercial station that everyone knows about. I'm not trying to belittle Pacifica, but moving to 790 is a big deal. It'll be interesting to see if a soccer show can make it on English-language sports radio in Houston.

The only real downside I see is that Pacifica keeps its shows archived for a few weeks, and I doubt 790 has anything like that. I usually listen to Glenn's show on Archive more often than live, but Wedneday night at 9:00 is probably a little easier to catch regularly than Sunday afternoon. The Astros and Rockets are on other stations, so there probably won't even be a lot of preempting. Looks like a huge net gain for soccer in Houston - as long as the show's successful.

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's for Glenn to get the George Jefferson award of the month!

Movin' on up to the ESPN side dial....he's finally got a piece of the pi...i..e...e..e..e..!!! ;)

Great job Glenn!!!

Will call in still be welcomed as usuall?

3. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh that's awesome news!

4. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Great news for Glenn and soccer in Houston. One thing that will be different is that Glenn will have to solicit sponsorship for his show (advertisers). In order to keep the show on the air companies will have to step up and sponsor the show.

If you know any companies that are interested in sponsoring the show, email Glenn.

5. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news for sure. I loved the show on KPFT, but never got to listen to it as much as I would have like to (Sundays).

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool:
    MLSnet.com: Tune in to 'Soccer Hour with Glenn Davis

Looks like soccer has another very important friend in the Houston media. Now if only Houston had an MLS team to capitalize on all this love from the Chron and now 790 AM.

7. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how I hated the dude about 4 months ago when they stripped us KLOL. I guess this makes up for it. lol

8. Sandman

Sandman Member

Apr 27, 1999
    San Antonio,TX, USA
    I listened to the show last night and I thought it was pretty good. Basically the same thing as on the previous station. I thought the interviews were pretty good as well (Adu and LD).

Overall very good. I look forward to next week.

9. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Radio show moving to ESPN 790 AM (TONIGHT 9:00 CENTRAL)

Glenn Davis will be on tonight with Eddie Johnson at 9:00 central. You can listen to the show over the internet here:

http://espn790.com/glenndavis.html

Just click where it says listen live

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Don Garber say anything interesting on last night's show?

11. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It was about a 20 minute interview and I did not get to hear the whole thing. He talked about San Antonio and the obstacles that have presented themselves lately. He didn't seem too optimistic about San Antonio pulling this off. He felt like if SA got a team that it would only help Houston's chances.

He talked about the problem in Washington at RFK and he talked about how important it was to keep Johnson in MLS.

12. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks very much. I suppose it's not surprising that he may have been not too optimistic about San Antonio last night. Hopefully, they can sort things out after their mayoral election.

13. ddavenport

ddavenport New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    That is great news.

Now if Glenn could only have Michelle Lissel as a guest...

14. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Soccer Hour with Glenn Davis on ESPN 790 AM at 9 p.m. Central Time Wednesday (5/24) features U.S. coach Bruce Arena. You can listen to the show over the internet here:

http://espn790.com/glenndavis.html

Just click where it says "LISTEN LIVE"

Email your suggestion for questions to BA at gdavis98@swbell.net

15. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to put up a sticky note that reminds me to listen on Wednesdays. I have forgotten the past 2 weeks.