Racism and Football

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Crimen y Castigo, Jan 4, 2013.

1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The Sedins - Daniel and Henrik

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Okay. Besides the obvious problem with that behavior, it also offends me as a fan. That's just bad, uncreative heckling.

I once got Bo Jackson to turn around and look at me. I take pride in the fact that I didn't have to resort to racist name calling to get his head out of the game.

3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I'm just throwing stuff to the wind here in a very un-thought-out way...

But part of what's so fascinating about this story is also the fact that Boateng is at the center. As most know, the brothers Jerome and Kevin are of Ghanaian descent and both were born in Germany. Jerome has declared for the German National team, Kevin for Ghana and they actually faced each other in South Africa. Amazing.

And, given the history of Germany and immigrants, and the recent revitalization of their national team that includes Özil (a Turkish muslim), Khedira (whose father is Tunisan), Tasci (Turkish), etc. -- it somehow makes perfect sense to see a Boateng at the center of this issue.

roadkit repped this.
  4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Comments or whole sections making monkey chants?

I don't doubt the cases in the NHL. I have never experienced it in NJ or NY watching pro hockey. We are more into opponents' mothers. :D

5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad but true, if top clubs don't spend (or ALLEGEDLY) have or allocate money to build CCTV systems, what makes you think some po-dunk village club will have the funds or means to? Hell, clubs can barely fill concrete to refurbish their toilet-bowelesque stadiums! Still not justifiable, but reasons as to why no CCTV. If strongly deterring this type of racist mentality in supporter culture is important to these leagues, they will find a way. If not, they will find excuses.

6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    At a baseball game or a football game? ;)

Dr. Wankler and crazypete13 repped this.
  7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The truth is, the supporters are racist because at some level, the community is racist. These douchebags don't turn racist because they walk into a stadium for a soccer game (I'm sure Jim Rome would find some causality).

To me, the much more effective tactic is to let the community know that this will not be tolerated or they won't have a team to root for.

It's sad that other fans didn't rebuke these racists for what they did.

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must not go to soccer games much :)p) . I wouldn't rebuke drunk, angry fans at CCS during a friendly against West Ham United and neither would you. That's why we have security - sometimes those angry, racist drunks get to fighting, and sometimes the only good tactic is to embarrass them by tasing one outside in the parking lot. You can't turn someone not racist, or not violent, or not a vandal, but you can kick them out of the stadium forever and make them look like idiots through the club. The problem with some European clubs is - like you said - that the ownership or community agree with the chants.

9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I saw someone making monkey chants at a game, I might not be stupid enough to challenge them in the stands, but you can bet I'd do my best to ensure they were pointed out to security and fingered personally by me. Standing by while this shit goes on is one of the main reasons this shit goes on, IMHO.

10. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If FIFA/UEFA were really sincere about addressing racism at matches then the best policy would be one of zero tolerance that punishes the club a hell of a lot more severely than they are now, assuming that the clubs actually do get punished. Take it a step further and let the FA's know that if their league is found to have had multiple incidents of racist behavior be it chants, flags or salutes then the national team gets kicked out of continental/international football. Of course the clubs should be required to forfeit the match in which the incidence occurred and then play it's subsequent matches behind closed doors.

I know the above will never happen since it would likely be lost income for both FIFA/UEFA which would be a bigger issue to those two organizations than racism.

11. chippybrady

chippybrady Member

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    FIFA/UEFA continue to say it is society's problem, maybe so, but that should still require the FAs to not allow these ignorant voice to be heard within stadia

and where else do we see monkey chants and bananas, it may be an underlying societal issue but for far too long idiots seem to have been convinced that they can disappear in a crowd, well no more

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    What national team would be first?
    http://www.thejc.com/blogs/marcus-dysch/racism-terraces-shame-beitar-jerusalem
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/104-Race/1361-anti-arab-league
    "almost every ground is subjected to fans glorifying ... Baruch Goldstein (a Jewish terrorist who massacred 29 Palestinians in Hebron), monkey chants at black players and the cries of “terrorist” towards Israeli-Arab players, even if they are part of Israel’s national team. ...
    The success of Bnei Sakhnin, an Arab club now in their third season in the top flight, made them an easy target and every game against Beitar in particular has potential for a mass riot. The Sakhnin fans also featured high on the racism index, with their own anti-Jewish chants and violent acts."
    " For the ultràs, making the top of the index is a badge of honour – every week fans’ websites call for greater effort."

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This garbage has been going on for so long now. UEFA/FIFA both make the claim to want to fight racism. When you see the stuff you described above or some of the banners from Poland for example you have to wonder why neither entity has taken a hardline stand. Money probably.

14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Actually Poland's FA and several of their top clubs have taken a very hard line against supporter misbehavior. In my country Romania they take a very hard line too despite rampant racism. Ownership groups are becoming increasingly more corporate which means they want a well behaved and well controlled supporter scene to open up the market to more families and upper class clients.

Of course results on the ground don't often reward these efforts. Eastern European ultras are passionately far right. In fact the more clubs and FA's clamp down the more protests and anti establishment riots you see. Last season there were probably at least 10 Polish league games behind closed doors ... Same in Romania

So yeah it's unfair to say the authorities aren't trying. It's just an uphill battle

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Real Madrid has a problem with their Ultras (or had a problem until very recently).

16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I remember Zaragoza was very bad, to the extent of Eto'o leaving the field in tears.

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    There need to be comprehensive policies by international & national association, as well as leagues & clubs, to progressively deal with this problem, as well as other hooligan related issues. If the intent is to exclude bad fans, rather than rehabilitate them, then do it, either directly through ejections & banning orders, or peer pressure through closed doors, bans on home games, bans on away travel, fines, points deductions & relegations.
    Referees need to do more, as well. No ref needs to tell an insulted player to play on. Have the ref, or the 4th official, walk towards the offending section & show the yellow card. If the behavior continues, show a second yellow, then the red card, blow the final whistle & forfeit the game. That section sits empty for the next match.
    Having stewards, security, police or the military trying to eject individual offenders will only lead to violence. Better message, is to stop & forfeit the match, IMO.

Moishe repped this.
  18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I generally don't support the war on supporters. In most countries in Europe these days the issue is overblown. Thousands of fans have their traditional supporter rights infringed because of dozens of real troublemakers. And frankly even some of the troubles are overblown like flares, flags or controversial political messages.

I'm not trying to downplay the few problems that do exists. I just wish the authorities would take more sensible surgical solutions. What they're doing now is slowly killing the soul of supporter culture across the continent.

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I do agree that a distiction should be made, between physical acts (brawls, pitch invasions) & verbal actions (taunts, chant, banners). However, there need to be some limits on the latter. And, racial or ethnic slurs is a pretty clear line.
    Like, when Mexican fans chanted "Osama" at the Azteca?
    They did shut up, when USA fans replied, "Cortez!"

20. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a discussion on Facebook with some friends about this incident and I thought my friend John had an interesting take on one aspect of this...

"I have never heard or seen a football crowd that condemned racist behavior, unfortunately. Actually, I think all the now-ubiquitous public-address announcements condemning racist behavior counterproductive, because they both (1) take the role of condemning the behavior away from the crowd, and as such switch the dynamic that has always operated in Euro stadiums where chants, songs, support, etc. has been grass-roots, with almost nothing top-down (when I lived in Britain there was not even a clock and the only announcements were for goals); and (2) position the racist-condemning announcements as another nameless, faceless manifestation of authority, which as such becomes easy to dismiss or mock by those in football crowds, who are often busy dismissing and mocking other manifestations of authority (the ref., the F.A., the government, the police, etc.)."

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in Russia they throw bananas at assholes.

Because Carter is pretty much an asshole.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when I was living in LA and the Oilers were good, we hated Grant Fuhr fad he was good, not cause he was black.