[R] US v Canada 1/22 - Any thoughts on DeRosario, Ching?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, Jan 22, 2006.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just FYI in case anyone missed it - the US x Canada game is being streamed tonight at:

http://stream3.12milesout.net/cash1700

Sounds like DDR is very active. Joe Tutino (sp?) is doing play-by-play and Ridge Mahoney is doing commentary.

Did anyone watch the game in person? Any thoughts about De Rosario or Ching?

2. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see the game in person, but I listened online. For the position that Ching is competing for on the roster, it still appears that he is the best, but he seemed to disappear in the second half. From listening it sounded like Ching didn't have a standout game, but he didn't play horribly. Here's how I'd rate him among the forwards (0-10 with 10 being the best)

Wolff: 6-questionable offsides on his goal that was called back early on.
    Ching: 5-didn't hurt or help his chances.
    Rolfe: 4-not afraid to attack defenders, but needs to start putting the ball in the net.
    EJ: 3-injured again
    Adu: 3-got a yellow card on his first touch; lost the ball a lot
    Twellman: 3-missed a goal he should've had (1v1 with goalie); deservedly the first forward subbed out

Unfortunately I didn't pay much attention to DeRosario. All I remember is that he had a nice shot and Reis made a nice save.

3. UDPride

UDPride Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Didnt Rolfe only play like 10 minutes. Seems like he'd need more minutes than that to be given a fair shake at whether he needs to start putting the ball in the net or not. Is there anybody besides Wolff whos played as much at this level whos been UNABLE to put the ball into the net? Thats the whole knock on Wolff. He scores in MLS and nowhere else. Sounds like EVERYONE needs to put it in the net more.

4. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you're right about Rolfe needing more minutes. I'm sure he will now that Twellman has showed once again he can't score on the international level. I'm just hoping Rolfe doesn't turn out to be a bust like Twellman has shown thus far. Right now I would love to see goals from anyone.

5. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Based on the radio announcers, it sounds like your assessment of Ching is pretty accurate. For whatever reason, on the US Men's Nat thread, it's pretty fashionable to knock Ching and say he should not be playing, etc. I guess the good news for Houston fans is that it sounds like Ching is healthy, he's played through 3 weeks of training and now a full game and didn't reinjure his hamstring. Last year he had a fantastic start to the MLS season, and then after his injury he was out much of the season and was not the same player when he came back. I guess the jury is still out on whether or not Ching can compete at the International level.

As for DeRosario, his name was called out a lot and it sounded like he created a few offensive chances. Reis made what sounded like a great save on one play against DeRo. It wasn't clear if he was playing forward or an attacking midfielder - matchtracker had him listed as forward. Again, the good news for Houston fans is that he's healthy, and he won't be missing any significant MLS action this year since Canada isn't in the World Cup ;)

6. UDPride

UDPride Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Tough to draw too many conclusions only over the radio. My best educated guess is over the next couple of friendlies the forward rotation will get swapped to see if theres any difference good or bad. In other words, Rolfe, Jaqua and others starting, with Wolff, Ching etc replacing late in the second half. The easy thing to do from tonight would be to say "yeah just another Wolff/Twellman scenerio of not being able to score at this level." But you just dont know w/o seeing the chances just how good or not so good the chances were. Sometimes forwards can look very mediocre with poor midfield service and even worse midfield support. Not saying thats the case, just saying Im not gonna put anyone on or off the ledger from an internet radio broadcast and nothing else to go on.

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much specific to DDR or Ching, but here's the Chron's story on the game anyway:

U.S., Canada play to tie

Bernardo Fallas also has some comments, mostl about Adu, at the Chron's Soccer y Futbol blog.

Edited to add Ridge Mahoney's observations from SoccerAmerica:

8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the match last night , and here is what I thought of DeRo and Ching.
    DeRosario was always a threat when he was on the ball , but faded away for long periods of the match. But like I said, always a threat when on the ball.
    Ching was pushed off the ball way too easily by the defenders , and didnt win many balls in the air ( neither did TT ) , and other than Wolff , it seemed most of our forwards were standing still , and not challenging for many balls.
    Thats what I gathered when I wasnt singing or insulting DeRo with Sams Army ( mostly the Riot Squad ) :D

9. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Him and Twellman both. I don't mind Wolff as much as Twellman because Wollf has scored in the past for us, but Twellman is absolutely useless on the national team as far as I'm concerned.

This is how bad it was...I complete forgot the US team was playing. God forbid we have televised broadcasts of our national team, especially in a world cup year.

10. UDPride

UDPride Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Id just like to see Rolfe get some extended minutes for once. He came on late in the Scotland game then did so again in the Canada match. Its tough to come in late, adjust, have everyone already on the field recognize you as a different cog, and have them adjust too. Especially when you are a camp rookie and at the bottom of the totem pole. I just want to see if he can create dangerous chances, much less score. Usually when hes on the field, the run of play is pretty good even when he doesnt score. Maybe a good 70 minutes in the next friendly to see how he settles in. Everybody else gets a chance to settle in.

11. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Was DeRo at forward or mid? I think your assessment is on point, and that's why he really blossomed in the attacking mid role last year with the Quakes. The ball went through him for the most part, and that's when he does well. He also hustles and plays solid defense. In previous years when he played forward for San Jose, he would be a great late game sub, always created some dangerous chances but wasn't seen as a 90 minute guy because of his consistency. Again, that could be because at forward you don't actually touch the ball as much.