R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'San Jose OT' started by Goodsport, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For those who haven't seen it: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc"]Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address - YouTube[/ame]

Some of his best lines have become everyday vernacular, bordering on cliche, but on that day (I was there!) I was struck by his humility and authenticity. (It's never easy to learn to fake that.) Way too young and a pretty wretched way to go.

3. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figured something was up when he had to step down several weeks ago. Well, if anything the modern day Edison--literally changed the way we lead our lives, first with the computer, then digital music, up to the current i-gadgets his company unveiled.

I'd say put him up on a postage stamp and very soon--the 5 to 10 year wait has been eliminated. Just wished he got honored as one of the first while alive. In any case--thank you Steve.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He fought hard to the bitter end too, giving everything he had to the world for as long as he possibly could. A true innovator and legend of our time who will be missed.

5. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on. He wasn't Jesus.

He was a business man. He took, he didn't give. Have you looked at Apple's margins recently.

Jobs was the best Product Marketing guy of all time.

6. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great speech.

How many of you watched it and said - Doh, I knew I should have dropped out.

7. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I doubt the Westborians are getting anywhere near the funeral.

I walked by the Apple flagship store in Palo Alto an hour ago -- very sweet. Lots of flowers, candles, handwritten and printed notes, even a big shiny apple. Someone from a tv station was across the street filming. A bunch of people standing around taking pictures with their cell phones.

I have never owned a Mac though I've used them, but the PC wouldn't be what it is now without Steve Jobs. Not Jesus, but a regular nerdy guy that you used to see all the time hanging out with his kids in downtown Palo Alto.

1 person likes this.
  9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said he was Jesus. Just said he fought to the end and was a legend and valley innovator all of which is unquestionably true. So take your attitude and shove it up some other thread like that bitching and moaning Build it Now one. :p

As for the Westboro "Church", it'll be a great day in America the day someone finally has enough and takes them all out...

10. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh, right. The problem is that BigSoccer is censoring part of the URL. If you click on the link and replace the ****** with the obvious word, you'll see the article.

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder when the last time it was that a CEO got the kind of love and respect that Steve Jobs has received on his death? Probably never. Front page news here in Japan where Apple/Mac has always had high cache.

13. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It shows you the power of the Apple brand. This isn't about Jobs, it's about Apple (though the commencement speech was great).

Was Jobs' the great innovator people are really taking about?
    -He took the mouse/windows interface from xerox
    -MP3 players were in abundance before the iPod
    -Tablet devices existed before the iPAD
    -Smart phones existed before the iPhone
    -Macs are essentially overpriced commodity hardware running a version of Unix
    -Was the iStore really an improvement over Napster?

This shows you the power of the Brand.

It's ironic to look back at the Apple 1984 ad.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8"]1984 Apple's Macintosh Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

It's all backwards.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to all that, you forgot the biggest thing he and Woz ever did for society, they all but created the personal computer in 1976 and 77. Before the Apple II computers were either the prevue of guys working with mainframes, or the prevue of computer nerds who built their own.

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You aren't going to get much traction hating on Steve. On the Palo Alto Weekly forum, everyone has a Steve story. He managed to reinvent himself several times, make a pile of money, not a lot of enemies, and still hand out candy to neighborhood kids on Halloween.

And, like I said, my PC would still be running DOS if not for the competition.

16. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An innovator, by definition, is the first, the creator.

He took others peoples ideas and made things arguably better, and certainly created consumer demand, but he wasn't an innovator, he wasn't the first. At least not since '76.

Did you watch the 1984 video?
    You're the guys in the grey suites - a true believer. I'm the hot chick in the red shorts. Job's is the guy on screen. :)

Gateway DX4850-45u has a 20% faster CPU, 3X the memory, 2X the HDD and significantly more expansion than the Mac Mini at the same price and if you got it with Ubuntu instead of Windows it would be cheaper too.

17. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not hating on Jobs'. I've said he was the best product marketing guy of all time.

I'm just pointing out the mass hysteria. <casus belli deleted>

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making computers almost anyone can use, take people almost no one can find...

He knew how to find and motivate people to make computers and devices almost anyone can use...

Windows 7 is about as close as anyone has come to what the Mac did in '84.

I thought OS X was a Mach inspired not Unix inspired.

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you have something to say about Steve and his work, go ahead. It can be a negative comment. That's ok! But if you must spar with your fellow Earthquakes fans, take it to PM rather than cluttering this thread. It's no fun playing kindergarten cop.

21. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was maybe the greatest product marketing genius of all time. But he is definitely the first to have people all over the world laying flowers and burning candles in his store front.

That's not because of him, but because of the brand he created.

He's not John Lennon, he's not JFK, he's not even Lady Di. These people all truly gave back. But many are reacting to his death in the same way.

Jobs' took. He sold. He was a business man. He could be ruthless. He was a marketing guy. He wasn't JFK, Lennon or Lady Di. Yet many are reacting in the same way.

I heard Jessie Jackson on the radio yesterday saying basically the same thing A68 is saying. That Jobs was a great "giver" and did so much for the community. I almost hit a tree. He didn't, yet that is a widely held perception. Actually I thought Jackson was possibly confusing Jobs' with Gates.

What this show is the power of his brand. Jobs was a huge part of the Apple brand and all that hip advertising created a persona for him that's not accurate. I'm sure if you did a brand associate test with Apple; Lennon, JFK and Lady Di would all test really high. Jobs' was really good at what he did.

Mach is Unix.

And I haven't said anything bad about Jobs. I've left that to Goodsport. Read the article he posted.

22. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i couldn't resist:

no mention of creation in there. ;)

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing what reading a real dictionary reveals about a word isn't it ;)

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is anything that FUAEG loves to do, it's spar with his fellow Earthquakes fans.