[R] How Would You Manage Team China? The Tactics Thread.

Discussion in 'China' started by ntg., Feb 8, 2013.

1. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe some of you watch CSL and play FM that give you good insight of CSL players. What players and tactics would you use if you are in Camacho's shoes?

2. weka

weka Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Put in Zheng Zheng. Test to see how he does. More forwards. Gao Lin by himself gets mobbed by the dozens and its obvious we rely on long balls which go nowhere.

3. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so the situation we need to analyze here is against iraq
    iraq plays fast counter attack football, and that younis mahmood striker is one player that most team don't want to face (that guy can score goals anywhere..)

to combat that. i would choose:
    4-2-3-1

zeng cheng
    zhang linpeng - feng xiaoting - du wei - zheng zheng
    zhao xuri - qin sheng
    hao junmin - wang yongpo - yu hanchao
    yang xu

zheng zheng is needed because sun xiang is getting not too consistent. one thing sun xiang is better than zheng zheng is the crossing, but we need someone quick enough to attack and defend at the same time (as per camacho's way in the saudi game)
    ren hang would be a good sub for zheng zheng.

i chose du wei because i can't stand zhao peng. although du wei is old, but his concentration is better than zhao peng. du wei can score goals too.

i have to use qin sheng as dmf because huang bowen is still suspended. i heard that liu jianye actually plays as DMF for sainty (and NOT right defender like in Team China), if needs to sub, liu jianye would be the sub for DMF.

i choose wang yongpo instead of zheng zhi because wang is more flexible and able to create plays for the team. i am not saying zheng zhi is bad, he is still good in terms of short passing and etc, but we need more dynamic players that can breakthrough the defence (chen tao is dynamic at times, but he is rather lacking direction and intelligence...)

and i choose yang xu instead of gao lin.
    gao lin is rather inconsistent, the last time i saw him that was REALLY good was the kuwait friendly, after that...blah
    yang xu has more intelligent in his decision making and a bit faster than gao lin..he can capitalize chances better too.

4. weka

weka Member

Dec 9, 2011
    I still have faith in Gao Lin but he needs a partner in crime. You're still putting Yang Xu alone so maybe 4312 instead. I'd take out Wang Yongpo. We need more than one striker. Gao Lin and Yang Xu could work well in chemsitry.

5. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the midfielders (including DMFs) need to move more to the front to support the striker.
    you can have yang xu playing supportive striker, but having only zheng zhi/wang yongpo/any AMF distributing the ball would be less effective without left/right midfielder.

if you want to use 4-3-1-2, i think long balls need to be use, but i am not sure how our current DMFs' ability could make good long balls for yang xu and gao lin.

6. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't know what yu hai been doing, he has not been performing at his best at recent time. feng renliang seems to not appear much in team china.
    if camacho is looking for a good side midfielder...zheng long is actually good.
    good dribbling and shooting power. scored against evergrande before (lippi wtf-ed when zheng long scored). at least won't get knocked out like yu hai lol.

lu0hh repped this.
  7. shingkei

shingkei Member

Mar 23, 2007
    China
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Zeng Cheng

Zhang Linpeng, Feng Xiaoting, Du Wei, Rong Hao

Zhao Xuri, Zheng Zhi
    Hao Junmin, healthy Deng Zhuoxiang, Yu Hanchao

Gao Lin

8. shingkei

shingkei Member

Mar 23, 2007
    China
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    i don't know why Yu Hai was put on the right flank.....

9. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I DON'T KNOW TOO!
    camacho has been doing that since oman match!
    i always thought LEFT SIDE = Yu Hai/Feng Renliang
    RIGHT SIDE = Hao Junmin/Yu Hanchao/Wang Xiaolong

yu hanchao can play both sides equally.

10. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ;)

11. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think Camacho's current approach is:
    - choose all players from evergrande because the team is champion and players have better chemistry

but Camacho really needs to look at players from other teams..Jiangsu Sainty's Ren Hang and Ji Xiang are good..they are #2 in CSL for a reason

12. YenSter

YenSter Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The thinking of having Yu Hai on the right is that he will cut in and take a shot with his left foot, all well and good if the player has tonnes of pace or loves to drift in, unfortunately thats not Yu Hai and when he was crossing the ball he was using his weaker foot, smart move Camacho.:confused:

Anyway personally as I've stated in other forums I'm not a fan of 4-2-3-1, peronally I think that this formation was used by José Mourinho then it became vogue and too many managers copied it just for that reason. For this formation to work you need a play-maker, Deng Zhuoxiang was OK but he's injured, Zheng Zhi was never a player-maker, box to box player who was great at coming in late to take a shot yeah but when was the last time he played there for his club? about 2 years ago and if I'm correct he's been playing defensive mid or centre back for his club. Wu Lei or Zheng Long have both played there for their clubs, Wang Yongpo and Chen Tao are box to box players but Chen Tao is really inconsistant.

Too be honest all the players I've mentions only Chen Tao has been tried out by Camacho, infact for a manager who knows nothing about Chinese football and whose been at the helm for 18 mouths you'll think he'll set his net out as far as possible and try out more players but he hasn't has he, probably just proves my point that he's been choosing his squad from the Football Manager series, which probably explained why Li Weifeng originally got his re-call.

Peronally unless there's a complete overhaul of the squad, which ain't gonna happen since the Iraq games coming up soon were pretty much stuck with a really small squad to choose from. With that in mind I'll personally like to see a 4-4-1-1 formation and see Yu Dabao play the support striker role. Defence first choice centre back pair would be Feng Xiaoting and Zhang Linpeng, however looking at the alternatives wow what a nightmare Zhao Peng really is the best out of a bad bunch, the other choices Camacho has made in the last year are Yu Yang and Xu Bo neither have proven themselves or have much experience, bringing Du Wei back isn't a bad idea, I mean seriously what has Camacho been doing for 18 mouths it's certainly ain't been trying out new players.

13. weka

weka Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Don't sell yourself short on Jiangsu. They had a dream-run. If they get top 3 again in the next two years, then yes. But for now, Evergrande have shown their strength winning it twice in a row.

Needless to say, Danalache was not the best scorer. Guy scored 6 pens and 1 fluke goal. He was 3 goals above Utaka who scored 3 pens. Utaka was better striker. However, I still like Deng Xiaofei

14. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    team has a short good run or no, there are players that Camacho should set sight as plan B.
    Ji Xiang's CSL record 7-second goal isn't fluke. Ren Hang gave solid defence for the Jiangsu defense, just don't see why only Liu Jianye get called up.

15. weka

weka Member

Dec 9, 2011
    I am talking about Cristian Danalache's 23 goals. 1 of them, against Dalian Aerbin, in early May was a fluke.

16. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    deng zhouxiang was only used once under camacho, it was the UAE friendly where deng came on second half, and too bad he didn't perform too well..

wu lei would be a decent addition, he has been playing well in oversea friendly, and i hope camacho actually cast an eye on him when wu lei plays consistently for shanghai east asia in the new CSL league.

bai jiajun, if he gets his form back, would be a good left back too. he played pretty well for shanghai shenhua last season, one of his goals was roberto-carlo-esque.

17. Zhou Jiabao

Zhou Jiabao Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I don't know why, but every time I try to think up of a starting lineup that would fit China's style, they all have flaws. Here are some of the lineups I came up with. Be free to comment on them.

4-4-2 (standard)
    Zeng Cheng
    Zhang Linpeng - Feng Xiaoting - Du Wei - Rong Hao
    Hao Junmin - Zhao Xuri - Zheng Zhi - Yu Hanchao
    Gao Lin - Yang Xu

4-4-2 (diamond / 4-1-2-1-2)
    Zeng Cheng
    Zhao Xuri
    Hao Junmin - Yu Hanchao
    Deng Zhuoxiang
    Gao Lin - Yang Xu

4-3-3- (two d-mids in the middle with an attacking mid up top and wingers on the forward line)
    Zeng Cheng
    Zhao Xuri - Zheng Zhi
    Hao Junmin
    Feng Renliang - Yang Xu - Yu Hanchao

Substitutes - Yang Zhi, Zheng Zheng, Sun Xiang, Wang Yongpo, Chen Zhizhao, Qu Bo, Zhang Chengdong

Full roster:
    GK - Zeng Cheng, Yang Zhi, Wang Dalei
    DF - Sun Xiang, Rong Hao, Feng Xiaoting, Zhang Linpeng, Du Wei, Zheng Zheng
    MF - Zheng Zhi, Zhao Xuri, Feng Renliang, Yu Hai, Chen Zhizhao, Hao Junmin, Deng Zhuoxiang, Yu Hanchao, Wu Lei, Wang Yongpo (Huang Bowen when his suspension is over)
    FW - Zhang Chengdong, Gao Lin, Yang Xu, Yu Dabao, Qu Bo (maybe Han Peng if he plays better this season)

Now for the tactics. Hao Junmin will take the free kicks that are close to the twenty-yard box. Hao could also take the left corner while Yu Hanchao takes the right. If I was the coach of the Chinese national team, I wouldn't have them play too many long balls. The fullbacks will support the wingers up top with the defensive mids and the centre backs staying back to cover for them. I would try to have them play defensively compact and go for counter-attacks. Try to keep possession as long as possible when passing around to try and build chances (like Japan or Barca's tiki-taka). Through balls and one-twos would be a necessity under my management.

weka and ntg. repped this.
  18. YenSter

YenSter Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ugh, and yet you've show more tactical awareness and knowledge in this one comment then Camacho has in his entire reign.:rolleyes:

However while it would be great for China to play the Barca's tiki-taka football, Chinese players and football culture just doesn't have enough players or the mentality of this kind of football and it would take a long time and a massive culture shift for this to happen. Thats why I personally believe that China should employ a 4-4-1-1 formation because as China has shown that without Deng it's not a 4-2-3-1 it's actually a 4-5-1 with a lone striker. Gao Lin or whoever is up front needs help and was getting taken out of the game, thats why I'm an advocate of Yu Dabao to play as a support striker, heck anybody as a support stiker.

The sad fact is China ain't exactly full of great strikers or that many individual great play makers, which means we have to rely on what we do have which is a couple of nippy wingers and one genuinely good long ball player in Hao Junmin, that means our best options are to beat the full backs and whip it in the box and play the percentages. Yes you can argue that this is too open against World class teams but lets be honest China ain't gonna be playing too many World class teams in any competitve football any time soon.

19. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think yu dabao really fits for the supportive striker role. he assisted quite alot for his team in CSL last season. another good person would be a fit bari mamatil.

20. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    zhang chengdong would be a great lone striker, considering all those headers and goals he gave for Beira-Mar.
    qu bo and han peng would be like the final resort people. qu bo is unfortuantely very injury prone, and han peng really needs alot of game. one thing i love about han peng is his confidence, you feed him ball, he will score.

and i hope chen zhizhao loan to another brazilian team to get more minutes, he can actually contribute something to Team China with his dribbling and passing.

21. EvergrandeTiger

EvergrandeTiger New Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Club:
    Guangzhou Yiyao
    Scoring has been a huge problem for the NT since Gao hongbo's previous asian cup.
    Zhang chengdong seems to be keeping his form, i saw highlights of him a year ago good on him. Chen zizhao is one of those unproven players you cant really field because of lack of playing time. Ill have to disagree on Qu bo and Han peng simply because of their age, all chinese players ages are slashed down by at least by 2 years, this is usually done in youth years and bribed with $ for an official cfa ID as it gets harder to detect your bones as you get older but very easy in youths. Since Han peng and Qu bo are listed around 30 give or take 1 its safe to say they are both 32+, and with limited stamina a big problem. Most chinese players have poor form because of bad environemnt, nutrition, bad habits and body perserverence lifestyles they wont even be effective for 60 minutes in a NT match. Gao lin has proven too ineffecitve without real CF, i would suggest field Gaolin with Yu Dabao or Mao Jianqing.

22. EvergrandeTiger

EvergrandeTiger New Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Club:
    Guangzhou Yiyao
    Hahahah yeah i agree dont follow possession football too much if you want to be a fan of chinese NT. Our players in every position has very weak in stamina and cant slose down space fast enough. Our strength lies in tackling and aggresive for the few minutes when our whole team works their hardest to orchestrate an attack. Counter attack and playing defensive is the only option right now and that might not even get the job done against strong attacking/poessession teams. Zheng Zhi has to be cut frm the team or used as a sub because we cant afford opponent possession past the center line. Zhao xuri, Yu Hanchao, Fengrenliang, Hao Junmin and another Dmf must be used in mid and wing to start s. Zhanglinpeng and Fengxiaotig must be used to start, full backs must use younger and faster players instead to repplaceSun Xiang and Liu Jianye(who arre the weakest and slowest NT players ive seen) Gao lin or Yudabao is expected to poach a goal and we sit back and defend the 1-0 while applying pressure for the full 90 min, subbing mids with appropirate DMFs at around 65 min or so to keep stamina high :cool:. As far as modern football tactics go our NT is extremely behind and we have to subsitute it with strength and tackling. Interested in more of your thoughts

23. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FROM CHINESE MEDIA:
    (predicted formation)

zeng cheng
    zhang linpeng - li xuepeng - feng xiaoting (if he is alive) - sun xiang
    zheng zhi - zhao xuri
    yu hanchao - chen tao - gao lin
    yang xu

lately chinese media said yu hai has been trained to play as AMF, there was formation change as gao lin and yang xu played as two forwards.

chen zhizhao is expected to use as a sub. gao lin is expected to use as assisting forward (on the left), much like how evergrande used him.

24. weka

weka Member

Dec 9, 2011
    This is a good set-up and should work well .... however I am still expecting a fight,

25. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

I'd agree with this. I've always thought to replace Hao Haidong you need both Gao Lin and Dong Fangzhuo. Gao is good at creating but bad at finishing. But Dong din't work out unfortunately. Yang Xu is not ideal, but for this NT the 2 strikers formation is definitely better than the lone striker formation with Gao Lin. China did pretty well with the lone striker formation with Hao Haidong and for years now didn't change after Hao retired. Lippi's use of Gao Lin finally put an end to this with Camacho now realizing he has used Gao Lin wrong all along.

Lippi has been invited by CFA's Cai to watch the game. If China loses, that's the end of this Asian Cup campaign and hopefully a fresh start for China with Lippi the new NT coach.