Quo vadis, Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'International News' started by Borussia, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I know, it's retarded. It's not even a religious thing, it's a tradition/culture thing. The first words of the Quran to be revealed were "Read!" (or "Recite!"). They weren't "Read, but not if you're a girl!". The Prophet's first wife was a businesswoman, who met him when she employed him to conduct trade on her behalf. This idea that Muslim women shouldn't go to schools or work is completely idiotic.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then after she died he served her memory by sleeping with any girl he could get.

Shit some times I think I should have been a religious leader; those dudes know how to have a good time.

I am also full of shit so I would fit right in.

Crazy picture, kind of puts my lack of relative problems in perspective.

[​IMG]

3. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    At last, something we can agree upon.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I at least recognize it and acknowledge the fact.

Moses, Jesus, Mohamed, Bahá'u'lláh, Joshep Smith, Siddhārtha Gautama, etc. they actually believed their own shit.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In Afghanistan, the US has signed a deal that is intended to secure a foothold for the US in that country long after US troops are officially withdrawn. This deal won't last, but in the meantime the Afghan officials in the pay of the US have been working hard to tarnish the image of Afghan media and officials who aren't satisfied to see their country become a US stooge, by trying to imply that these media and officials are in the pay of Iran. It seems there is no one in Afghanistan to ask them why it is okay for their accusers to openly receive "funding" from an alien foreign power thousands of miles away, even as these same fellows try -- without blushing in any of the hypocrisy -- to link their foes to Iran.

This article, entitled "Iran's Great Game in Afghanistan", uses the same euphemisms, builds on the same hypocritical notions, and makes accusations that -- at worse -- amount to the pot calling the kettle black. But between the lines, you can learn of the real issues that are in dispute in Afghanistan. Put simply, whether Afghanistan's future will be in the hands of those who are being set up as tools of a distant superpower thousands of miles away? Or whether Afghanistan will be allowed to chart its own destiny and its own future?

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    FYP.

ceezmad repped this.
  7. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that hate towards women in Afghanistan continues, are these small men really that threatened by women that they can't abide by them having an education?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/29/world/asia/afghanistan-girls-poisoned/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

8. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The taliban obviously have fears about education, just as any dictatorial or oppresive regime does, they only want their version of education to be shared, afraid that any discourse will unravel the pitiful basis for their beliefs. Its obvious that they believe that their beliefs won't stand up if challenged by any educated people and thus they are doing their best to deny the right to learn anything that opposes their 8th century myths.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/22/world/asia/afghanistan-taliban-schools/index.html?iref=obinsite

9. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/06/afghanistan-war-instability_n_1575576.html

10. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well here in the USA, free education for boys and girls has been available for all, yet 40-48% of Americans still believe in creationism. So education alone does not "unravel the pitiful basis for their beliefs"

13. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we also have freedom of religion here as well which allows for people to believe what they want and practice it where they want.

RevPOWA repped this.
  14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, and religious freedom is not going to happen in Afghanistan ever.

RevPOWA and Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  15. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it isn't no matter what anyone might think.

16. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    I am not sure all of them did.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  18. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disgusting act of cowardice by the taliban. http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/09/world/asia/afghanistan-public-execution/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

19. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Is this a different story to the one ceezmad linked to? Either way hopefully they find the killers. The Taliban are saying it wasn't them. I note that both "Taliban commanders" involved were also killed by a third "Taliban commander", I wonder why they were killed?

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discipline? Not controlling their troops, I am sure they had a nice and expedient Taliban style military trial.

Lets see who gets to the honor killing dudes first their fellow Taliban or the Afghan army. My money is on them getting gunned down by their own Taliban comrades.

22. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Damn, this Afghan police or army infiltrator thing is picking up steam. Four more Americans killed today when their side turned on them. That's got to cause insufferable tension. How do you defend against that? You can't.

23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Links help: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19614911
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/16/world/asia/afghanistan-troops-attacks/index.html?hpt=wo_c2
    In other news: http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/15/world/asia/afghanistan-fatal-attack/index.html?hpt=hp_t3