Quo vadis, Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'International News' started by Borussia, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    LOL, it's amazing what passes for journalism nowadays. This bit wouldn't even pass a Wikipedia review:

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    The big tease draws in the casual viewer:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbb34ixU5OM"]Damn You Snow! - YouTube[/ame]
    No words on whether any sim cards have been found in stool samples.

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  4. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16787534

Someone needs to teach them that it is the male who determines the sex of the child not the mother.

5. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I reckon there must be more to it than the child's gender. Despicable people involved, nevertheless.

6. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did also say the husband is part of an illegal militia, sad that this happened.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We males have been blaming shit on women for ever, shit ever heard of Eve and some talking snake?

Shit a girl gets rapped who gets stoned, the girl, not the rapist (hard to catch them I guess).

Girl can't have boys; blame the women even as you say the males sperm determines boy or girl.

A shame they do not teach this stuff at all the churches, temples, mosques, etc.

8. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The militia bit is strange, it suggests it is a government-backed militia ("enjoys political support"). My first thoughts were that the husband might have suspected the child wasn't his. Whatever it is, I hope he is caught and hanged if he did really murder his wife.

Ceezmad, the woman is not blamed in Islamic teaching for the fall. It was both of them, and they were both forgiven. The Quran explicitly states that "Adam disobeyed his Lord and erred" (Quran Surah 20, verse 122). One of the crimes of the people during pre-Islamic times was that people buried their girls, and this was explicitly condemned in Islamic teachings. It's sad that some Muslims don't take this seriously.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obviously I trying to be funny since that particular story is Bullshit to me.

But the point is that with honor killings, the women is punished much harsher than the male counter part, same with wearing coverings, the male is weak so the female must cover herself to not tempt other men.

That is males not wanting to take responsibility, since men are the fac#ers making up the rules.

Since most if not all religious books are written by men it is obvious why they tent to be harsher on woman, they just reflect the mentality of the writers.

10. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Actually it is an obligation on the man to lower his gaze and be modest even if the woman is not covered. Men need to be reminded of that.

Honour killings have no place in Islam, but that is what happens when people confuse culture with religion.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Men often forget that ideas like Chivalry and the like are not one way streets. It's hardly a singular problem in south central Asia, even if this specific theme might be. I've spent time with Armenians and it always amazes me how quick many men there are to forget about their responsibilities to their families and wives. It's mostly an indictment of the men in the culture in their failures, although I feel often times subconsciously they realize this, and many of their actions stem from their own frustrations with their impotency.

/end rant

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To my secular mind, cultures take form religion and religion take for local culture, so people intermingle the two all the time, it is the human nature to project to the gods our human emotions.

That is why it may be a great idea to get women to cover up in a sack! ;) :p

I mean why deal with our male issues when we can force the "solutions" on the women. :mad:

13. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that he needs it, but further validation of what Umar said:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...stify-honor-murders-experts-insist/?hpt=hp_c1

It is this kind of solidarity that needs to be focused on to show that Islam does not support such barbarity.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt and is not only Islam that mixes culture with religion, in Mexico there are religious events that are a mix of old religious activities from before colonization mixed in with Christianity.

Like I said people project their culture believes to their religion all the time and use their religion to excuse their conduct. That is after all what all religious are all about (from the not Faithfull point of view).

15. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
  16. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/01/taliban-afghanistan-pakistan_n_1246234.html

Time will tell.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeap, Afghanistan will go back to being the civil war rotten shithole that it was back in 2001.

Very sad for the people of that country especially the women and young girls.

18. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well maybe not. Its hard to not think otherwise, but I am not ready to write off all the people there just yet. Who knows, maybe something of what the US has thrown against the wall will stick. I am not overly optimistic, but stranger things have happened.

The thing is the people there need to figure out their own Govt. They have to figure out a way to fit in all the different aspects of their culture. So maybe these talks with the taliban will work towards that solution.

Frankly I don't care what they come up with so long as they don't go back to housing aq or other groups of that ilk. If they do, then I have no problem with the US doing whatever it takes to take them down again.

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  20. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    So is the idea that the U.S. is going to declare victory and leave? If so, the Taliban will be in control of large parts of the country pretty much immediately. Maybe there is some hope of the government (or more likely warlords) holding non-Pastun areas.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeap back to the 1990-1999's

The Russians will be laughing saying, "we told you so, that place is fucked"

22. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2012/02/2012225151435215869.html

After the silly & irresponsible koran burning by US soldiers and the following, ongoing riots, I'm surely not the only one to definitely consider the whole operation to be a failure in the meanwhile. I hope that Germany gets its troops out of the country as soon as possible.

23. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure what the rules are for the book, but wasn't it desecrated by the taliban or aq when they wrote in the books and put codes and such in there?

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005