Questions for Peter Wilt Version 3.0 - Nothing But Questions!

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Stogey23, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Peter,

With a Haitian international on the Fire and another on the Rapids, to go with Colorado's two Cubans, have you and Dan Counce considered playing a preseason exhibition in Miami next spring?

I'm guessing the Haitians and Cubans would turn out in good numbers to support their guys and Damani and Andy might draw some Jamaicans, too. It seems like if ever a pre-season exhibition could draw well, this would be it.

2. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Great idea. Will pursue.

Thanks,

peter

3. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    End of Open Cup OT semi-final open cup win vs. LA at Cal-State Fullerton in 2000. Those of you who shared the experience of the Fire overcoming what appeared to be insurmountable challenges will likely concur that Josh's game-winning-goal was a special moment.

peter

4. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Yes. Not filling these positions until next year. They will be posted on the Fire web site.

peter

5. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    Peter,
    I know it's been discussed on here in other threads, but what are the pitch dimmensions expected to be for the new stadium?

6. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Dimensions are not finalized, but they are expected to be 75 x 116 or 120. First row will be about 3' above field level and much closer to the touchline than HDC.

peter

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Nice! And how much of YOUR influence and the wishes of the supporters are going into the stadium design? Just was wondering if all the decisions and plans come down from the AEG level or not. Cause Metro fans don't trust anyone with the Harrison project. :)

8. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    We've met several times with various members of the Fire's supporters groups to get their input. We also shared designs along the way with supporters and asked for input. i've also read comments, suggestions and ideas on the myriad of stadium design threads on BS. Those thoughts, along with those of the Village of Bridgeview, our team staff, front office staff, coaches and players over the years were filtered through me into design meetings with our architect, AEG's real estate division and AEG's owner's rep to produce the final product.

The agreed upon concept was to produce a stadium that operates functionally well for soccer and concerts and has a distinctively Chicago feel to it. The design is intended to reflect the urban character of Chicago and be a temple to the sport of soccer much as Conseco (Indianapolis) is to basketball and Xcel Energy Center (St. Paul) is to hockey. The brick exterior, the three roofs and the inclusion of the Illinois Soccer Hall of Fame, special local and national historical soccer displays and blown up images of Chicago and US amature and professional soccer history are intended to make the stadium America's Soccer Home.

peter

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Thanx for the great answers as always Mr. Wilt.
    Just curious, have you being in your esteemed position, heard any updates on the Harrison stadium project? I'm sure you are well aware of our 60-90 days gag policy. Thanx.

10. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    A Supporter's bar on-site has been on the 'wish list' too, any luck with that?

11. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    yes. It'll likely be the club lounge on event days and open to the public on non-event days.

peter

12. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Which states, as we all know, that whenever Nick S. says "60-90 days," Metro fans gag...

Later,
    COZ <-- will be here all week, try the veal, and no, I have no idea what Mihaljevic is talking about a few posts ago, but he mentioned me and Heather Mitts together, so it can't be all bad

13. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    Not only do you give answers that MANY want to here, you give them in a very timely fashion!!

14. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    it's not like i have a game to get ready for.... :(

peter

15. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Is there some minor league in hockey we can start a team in time for?

I have 500 dollars to invest in starting the Galena Generals! I know enough old hockey players from high school to seed the team.

16. SparkeyG

SparkeyG Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Mokena, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the general buy and in and operating costs of a professional Soccer team in MLS, A-League, PSL, and PDL? I've always wondered how big of a lotery i'd have to win to have my own club...

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    As an extension of that...

What, if any, college games did Dave and (or) his staff scout this weekend?

18. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    One quick followup if you wouldn't mind. Many people here are more concerned with ticket sales than attracting a loyal following. Selling tickets of ofcourse integral, but IMHO, to grow, this league needs the support of a base of fans, not just a random butt in a seat. While not quantifiable, it is clear to most that the "hard core fans" (for the lack of a better word) in many cities is shrinking. Dallas, New England, Colorado and METRO to a lesser degree are pretty well chronicled. Firstly, is this a major concern of yours when looking at our league? Secondly, from your efforts mentioned above, have you noticed any increase in your core fan base as a result?

19. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Peter -- Is a smaller playoff field even on the table, or should I focus energy elsewhere?

I ask because keeping more teams in the playoff hunt doesn't seem to sell any tickets. MLS attendance seems to be related to things other than the importance of the games (e.g. Adu playing, youth marketing, doubleheaders, fireworks, weather,...). Look at the final week attendance in NE and Dallas with playoff births on the line -- certainly not much to talk about. And this first wave of playoff games can't have sold enough tickets to be profitable.

20. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    without getting into specifics, PDL is your best bet for a short term operational profit. In very general terms, if you win a 6 figure lottery you should have enough funds to justify an investment in a PDL team, but you'll need a 7 figure jackpot to risk a sizable chunk of it in the PSL, 8 figures for a long term A-League investment and 9 figures for MLS.

As a long term investment, though it would take the biggest gamble, i believe that MLS is your best bet.

peter

21. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Not really. i believe that the reduction of teams in playoffs would have a bigger effect on the meaningfulness of regular season games than the attendance of playoff games.

The real challenge for selling playoffs is 1) the lack of time to sell them and 2) the lack of publicity.

The addition of two expansion teams next season will help make regular season games more meaningful, but neither of the issues above would be addressed by reduction of teams in the playoffs.

peter

22. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Both issues are critical. We must sell/manufacture large quantities of tickets AND grow a passionate and caring base. The latter is more susceptible to winning and losing and quality of play. i believe our efforts/policies have been successful and have resulted in the most passionate and caring group of fans in MLS.

peter

23. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Not sure which if any games they were at this weekend - though i know Denis was at the Storm game Saturday night. In general, Denis has the west (he was at a U. of Washington game a week or two ago), Craig has the northeast, Daryl has the south and Dave and Mike Matkovich cover nationally. Everyone pitches in on the midwest.

peter

24. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Thanks. Yeah -- this makes sense to me. I didn't think that playoff attendance would improve, just that the bottom line would improve by reducing the number of money losing first round playoff games.

Also, it turns my stomach to see the most important matches of the season so poorly attended. I guess i would like to have the league help me hide from reality.

25. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the league wants every playoff team to have one home game but wouldn't be better to have two weeks between the end of the season and the first playoff game? It would also mean giving real home field advantage to the higher seed by having a one game knockout.