Questions for Peter Wilt Version 3.0 - Nothing But Questions!

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Stogey23, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Perez?

:)

2. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Jameseyla,

Can you teach the other Galaxy fans (namely the Galaxians and the Riot Squad) to respect each other first?

3. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    More probable, but still a long shot. Met last week with interested parties to discuss this as a regional academy program (kind of Bradenton midwest). We're challenged on how to make it work economically from a development standpoint on a stand alone basis. Operationally it can probably work, but the start up costs are hard to get back unless other development components (retail, commercial, residential) are factored in.

It's a great idea from a player development angle. Need to justify it economically.

peter

4. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Heavy investment in youth development by MLS clubs seems like an idea that is still 10 years ahead of its time.

5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you find yourself at Molly Malones again, stumble two blocks south on Fairfax and you'll find Tom Bergins. Another great Irish pub in that district of Los Angeles.

6. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    poolboy #3 has spoken .. let it be said that Peter Wilt is the greatest and grooviest cat this side of Katmandu...

7. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I love how I am usually all over the F.O.'s ass as to things they could and should be doing better but the instant I make a comment like that off the cuff I am a poolboy. It's just amusing to me more than anything.

8. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Sh# t! With all these boyzzz, i gotta get me a pool!

:)

peter

9. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Is Coz still unemployed? ;)

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I so owe you rep for the evolution of your avatar. :D

11. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Wait, Peter said "boyzzz," I bet this means that our first draft pick next year will be Boyzzz Khumalo.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Above ground pool?

13. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago

Just so you know, Steve Ralston left a floater in the pool and it wasnt a snickers bar he dropped in there either. Guess will have to wait until next year to go swimming.

14. m00kie

m00kie New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Mannheim, Germany
    sorry if this isn't fire related, but what do you think of the comment from paul gardner saying that the coaches of mls are to pro-european especially when it comes to style of play.

15. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    First of all, he makes it sound like a bad thing. It's a subjective issue and some would find that a good thing. To a large extent, the type of players a team has dictates the style of play. MLS is dominated by US developed players, who tend to have qualities more consistent with a European style.

The influx of Caribbean and Central American players and the smattering of African, European and South American players creates a somewhat unique player pool. The preponderence of US developed coaches lends itself to the European style as well. CD Chivas USA's addition to MLS should help improve the diversity in playing style in MLS. I hope so anyway.

peter

16. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Peter,

Pardon me if this question has been asked in the past. Now, almost 10 years in, what percentage of an MLS GM's job is still worrying about attendance, ticket sales etc. versus player personnel, etc.? And is your situation with Chicago regarding my first question different from other GM's in that regard?

As a Galaxy fan, I truly hate your club. But, I do respect your work immensely.

17. partycentral

partycentral Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Naperville
    Peter,

Any plans to announce who which player(s) will be protected from expansion before you absolutely have to?

18. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Peter, In a previous thread on the METRO boards, you said that without aggressive marketing, sales and hard work, it would be hard to draw more than 5,000 a game. Firstly, do you consider this a good number? Secondly, what can teams activley do to build a bigger core group of fans? As a casual observer, it seems like this league more interested in just selling tickets than it is in building a strong fan base.

19. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    task ratio varies for all GMs. it also varies based on time of year. i have ten direct reports including the head coach. i'd like to think i give each of them equal attention and time.

peter

20. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    No. we have three categories of players right now and we'll work on the middle category until the last minute.

peter

21. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    5,000 a good number??? of course not. Teams need to produce a more entertaining product and improve our credibility with serious soccer fans. The entertainment value of the product can be improved by producing better players, coaches, referees and venues.

Intimate venues will go a long way towards getting more people to care about MLS, its teams and players. When games are consistently sold out and crowds are loud and passionate, fans will feel like they are at an important event and will talk about their positive experience the next day at work, school and home. This will lead to a stronger fan base as opposed to a manufactured audience.

Working with supporters groups to allow and encourage them to create a loud, colorful and passionate atmosphere is a key part of creating a special environment that will lead to fans throughout the stadium caring more about MLS, its teams and players.

peter

peter

22. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    interesting perspective. You are right that we blew way too many leads....we lost leads EIGHT TIMES!!!! Five turned into ties and three into losses. That's an incredible 19 lost points. I think it points to a number of things including lack of discipline, focus, concentration, killer instinct and ability to kill games or put them away.

peter

23. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    it's a great idea, especially if we can generate some meaning for it - winner's bonus, trophy, something....We're already considering a four-team tournament next summer in Soldier Field.

peter

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Peter,

What are Thiago Gaucho and Samuel Caballero going to be doing, in terms of getting matches, between now and joining the team and, when do you anticipate those moves being completed and them reporting to the Fire?

25. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Thiago's going to be training with his former Brazilian club team through December 15 then joining us in February. Samuel decided against signing a short term contract with a Columbian club and is working out on his own in Columbia and Miami. We hope to have our strength and conditioning coach work with him in the off season.

peter