Questions for Peter Wilt Version 3.0 - Nothing But Questions!

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Stogey23, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Since the season is over, I figured it would be a good time to start a new thread. As always, even if Peter nevers even posts here, we are still grateful!

Let them rip!

2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many games next year does Dave have to prove that our complete suckitude in 2004 was a fluke?

Why do we have so many national team players who can't play for us half the time? Why not get guys who are on the right side of the "Ralston line", ie., just barely not good enough to make the USMNT but still well above average for MLS?

3. Krasny

Krasny Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Chicago West Side
    i want to add comment; keep dave sarachan around. thing have been unfortunate this year but the man had some rough things to overcome and he needs the oppotunity to really do something with the money and space we will have this close season

marsch, razov, armas inj. callups, boca and beasley leaving...etc. etc. we should have made play-offs but i think it will hurt now more than help to make a change right now. if he fails in 05 then fresh start for 06 and stadium.

4. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Questions for Peter Wilt Version 3.0 - Nothing But Questions!

5. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the allocation we get for not making the playoffs be less, the same or more than the Beasley allocation money?

6. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the mls and US soccer doing as far as developing and scouting talent in the inner cities? This is what countries such as brazil excel at. There are many ethnic children who are not afforded the opportunities that many suburban children have. There are also many teenagers who have recently immigrated to this country from europe who were not developed in club programs and who slip under the radar. I feel the US is missing the boat and a rather large talent pool os going untapped.

7. LOTG5

LOTG5 New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Peter -- I want to preface my remarks by expressing my appreciation for your availabilty, candor, and genuinely great public relations while you've been with the Fire and during your previous positions with other teams we have known. I believe that few teams are graced with anyone who presents such an public affable face during both good times and bad. I'm also sure you share our dismay about this past season, yet I sincererly believe you are among the few who are in a position to change things. We -- and at least several of the people who regularly sit near us at home games -- feel that we suffered and paid A LOT for way too long to watch a "pretty good" team at the god-awful venue at Naperville only to witness an amateurish, poorly coached, and excuse-laden team in the pleasant surroundings at Soldier Field. We're already becoming tired of the team's promises that "everything will be better if we move to a new field", when this year's Fire PR rivals Mount St. Helens in terms of spewing meaningless smoke and lava (that really only harms those who choose to stand too close or buy season tickets). We long-time soccer fans are all grown-ups and have been watching soccer for too long to fall for the "we didn't anticipate the ... [fill in the blank]". Any of us who work for a living and don't plan appropriately for business risks eventually lose our jobs. How did this years's team not anticipate injuries, call-ups, trades, retirements, etc.? It's part of the business. It's part of your risk. It's part of the risk we all take in buying season tickets. Please help me understand how next year will be better, why we should reinvest in season tickets, and please show us your investment in your words by creating some meaningful, measurable results that you will promise to achieve or resign your position. Sorry to put you on the spot, yet my customers ask me the same questions every day. If I don't deliver value, I'm not working. Tell me about how the Fire will deliver value for my season ticket investment next season. Once again, thanks for your availability, candor, and genuine love of the game.

8. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    less.

peter

9. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Not enough.

US Soccer has had aa program for the last 5+ years. i know Juan Carlos Machia headed it up for awhile. Not sure if he still does. Fire has tried three programs. Two with the YMCA which have done a good job of introducing the game on a recreational level to kids in Chicago's inner city, but have failed miserably when attempts were made to expand to competitive and travel programs.

The Chicago Fire City Academy has used funds from the Annual Frank Klopas Celebrity Pro-Am Golf Tournament ($20k+ each of last three years) to fund weekly supplemental training sessions 30+ times per year for the top city (mostly Hispanic) players. We have also brought in the coaching director of Morlia's Academy program to train those players as well. This has been a mild success, but i agree with you. We are missing opportunities to develop potentially great soccer players.

i believe Chivas will be successful with their national youth development efforts in the US right under our nose.

peter

10. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Don't have time for proper response right now. Will prepare a letter to Fire fans this week to address your pertinent questions.
    Thanks,

peter

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Where will the new allocation, the Beasley allocation, and the Bocanegra allocation fall relative to other teams outstanding allocations? Don't really need an answer but it'd be nice if MLS would publish the list of oustanding allocations next year like it did 2000-2003. Just a suggestion to pass on to the league office if you want.

12. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    i think the League will be making this public in the near future.

peter

13. Ron Keller

Ron Keller New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Shampoo-Banana
    I know we're only supposed to be putting questions in this thread, but I want to say that the suggestion that you guarantee results or tender your resignation is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. We have the best GM in the league and anyone who doesn't understand that clearly doesn't have a clue. You have my unconditional support.

14. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    If I could, I'd find a way to put together a group to buy this team and install PW as permanent chairman. He's as much a part of the club as any player, coach, fan or staff member ever is or will be.

15. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd chip in for that.

16. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Date for a groundbreaking in Bridgeview?

17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Peter,

Will Chicago try to use all of their allocations or would they seek to trade an allocation for a player within the league, i.e. allocation for a starting player?

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Will DJ Countess lose his P40 status even though he only played two games this year?

It's no secret John Ellinger thinks very highly of him, if he does lose his status, will he be exposed in the draft? I mean, do you really want a backup GK making six figs eating up cap room?

19. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I think it's time we set some rules for questions.

1 Only questions about the Fire directly
    2 Only questions from Fire fans
    3 Only questions whose answers are not readily available
    4 No questions whose answers put Peter in an awkward position

I know PW is having a hard time going through this stuff because of issues with the above 4. Plus, he's a busy man, and right now he is as upset if not more than all of us.

So let's try to respect that a little bit, maybe. Anyone not adhering to the above rules can still read the questions and answers so it's not like you are being shut out.

I don't think these are unreasonable requests -- are the mods here on board with this? Of course...if we did Q&A exclusively on s8c this wouldn't be a problem... :)

20. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    Pray that I hit the lottery, I've always wanted to be an owner and I'll support your plan. Many FIRE fans don't fully comprehend the quality that Peter brings to the table - we're very fortunate.

21. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Thanks, but i'm ok without having any of the above rules on this thread. The non-Fire (especially non-soccer) questions are some of the most fun to answer. i'm ok answering non-Fire fan questions as long as it doesn't inundate the thread and prevent me from answering questions from Fire fans. I imagine if someone is asking the question, the answer probably isn't readily available to that person even if it may appear to be to others and i'm fine being asked "awkward" questions. If i don't feel it's appropriate to answer, i'll tell you.

Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for this thread. It really helps me hear what the people who care most about the Fire are concerned with and it helps me explain decisions to you in context.

peter

22. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Hasn't been set. It may be two different dates, one for ceremonial groundbreaking and one for real shovel to dirt. The latter will actually happen first (probably in next 30 days). The former will probably occur later (30 to 60 days) ;) in order to maximize benefits for corporate partners.

peter

23. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    We have three. One (Bocanegra) we're very close to finalizing on signing a defender. Beasley we'll likely use on an attacking player, Use of the YSA is TBD. We'll consider both using it and trading it. Expansion draft and deals in next 2-3 months will go a long way in determining what we do with the YSA.

peter

24. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    The competition commitee will rule on the graduation of P-40 players shortly. P-40 graduation criteria is a gray area. Given the player's desire, i think there is a good chance he will graduate, but that is officially tbd. We are still working on protected list and will not reveal specifics publicly any earlier than we need to.

peter

25. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Tough go of it this season Peter. One of the bright spots for us Fire fans this year has been the opportunity to ask our GM questions and actually have most of them answered. Can't get that in other leagues!

I'm already paid in for season tix next year and can't wait for the Fire to take the field next spring and put 2004 behind us! Any chance of an international friendly here in town for The Fire next year?

Thanks again Peter!