Questions for John Guppy, version 1.0

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Dr. Wankler, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Soccer&Sinatra

Soccer&Sinatra Red Card

Jan 13, 2005

Ill give this guy a chance but next time we see Tim Lewicke we should let him have it. I imagine he will be in Chicago over the next few months in regards to stadium stuff.

Tim Liwecke could have stopped this from happening. But tim and Scott Blackmun and I am sure kevin Payne to some extent are culprits in this masterful art of corporate fcukage!

2. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado

3. Ron Keller

Ron Keller New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Shampoo-Banana
    Still looking for captions?

[​IMG]
    Not my President.

4. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    [​IMG]

Hey kid (looks around). Want an E ticket to Neverland?

5. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    If i were Guppy, the first thing I would do... if I was made aware of it... was to post here and try to calm things and give at least the appearance of willingness to work together.

6. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, that assumes that Guppy even gives a ******** about Fire fans, and that he has a free moment to spare from crafting a FPF Fire Playoff Fever- Catch it! gimmick.

7. VfB Feuerwehr

VfB Feuerwehr New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    In the Cube-Forest
    Guppy is too busy right now. He's trying to find out how soon after Britney has her baby that she'll go back on tour. He needs to book her for Bridgeview's 06 Concert Tour Extravaganza.

Bridviewapalooza!
    Britney Spear *topless*
    Alice Cooper swims in snake pit!
    Ozzy bumbles around, reads a teliprompter for his lyrics, and falls off stage (um, stagedives!)
    Static-X
    3 Doors Down
    J-Lo on Avril Lavigne action

HOT HOT HOT, Bridgeviewapalooza... so hot, it's on Fire!

BTW, there's a soccer game or something going on too.

8. elgreco

elgreco New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Yeah, Britney will be touring with her baby as the centerpiece of her stage show: 'Britney Baby'

9. elgreco

elgreco New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Ironic that a site called www.uglyguppy.com specializes in selling Fire deparment T-shirts.

10. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago

Sign me up for that ride.

11. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Swap Jessica Simpson for J-Lo, and I'm there.

12. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Swede

Swede New Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Chicago IL
    John, what is your primary goal in your new role? To make the most money possible? Or to be the best football club and to win championships? The people would like to know.

14. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John,

How does it feel that fans of teams that hate the Fire are now backing Fire fans because they absolutely hate your guts for replacing the best GM in soccer?

A**hole

15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait til I can pass out rep again. I can count on one hand all the times I have neg repped, he just made the list. Well tomorrow he will.

How about a ban on that troll huh mods?

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh how I wish I had the money, I would go buy the Sting name, get them into MLS and hire Peter Wilt to build it into the best damn team period.

Guppy, you are the most hated man in Soccer in Chicago, and all because you are replacing someone that is actually popular from a front office Chicago team with the fans.

I mean it is rare that any GM or Front Office Guy is liked in this city and Peter is loved. He is loved not only by Fire fans, but by MLS fans. AEG that should tell you something. Peter does what is best for the people who make the league possible. The Fans.

17. ChgoFireFan

ChgoFireFan New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    SW Suburbs
    Great article. Aligns with all the points made by the articulate posters here at BigSoccer.

P.S. Guppy Blows :D

18. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago

In the words of Gabby Johnson:

"REV'ERND"!

It is a sad world where Bill Veck is less valued than Bob Pulford

Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious summer by this son of Metrosuck.

19. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    [sarcasm alert]
    But Bob Pulford is a hockey guy!!
    [/sarcasim alert]

(aboot 150 years ago)

20. TakeItBack

TakeItBack New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Chances are AEG doesn't read this message board. I doubt anyone's opinion here is really getting through to them. If all you want to do is complain about things...then by all means continue. But wearing black for one day, and then carrying on as normal will really just tell AEG that they were right, they can do what they please and we'll just have to deal with it.

In expectation of a "Have you got any better ideas?"...
    Go to every game, and never say a word. No singing no drums no flags. If you just do something like wearing black shirts, once, well, I wouldn't take you seriously. But if you continued to repeat your protest in a way that the team and the other fans couldn't help but notice, I might pay more attention.

But that's just my opinion. I don't have a special Section 8 laminate or anything.

21. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like your line of thinking. I also think that we should deluge AEG with Emails, and be sure to link to this thread, stating how we feel. I am not saying spam them, I am saying send well thought out resonable emails stating how we feel and push them into a response.

I also agree that wearing black for multiple games makes more sense. I disagree about the not using drums, etc... because then that takes away from the atmosphere of the game and would impact the players negatively. We still want the team to do well, we just want to let AEG know that they made a huge mistake.

22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree. 8 minutes of protest is nice, but really to affect change, something more has to be done. I don't doubt that the organizers of the protest have more in mind, but I think a quiet crowd that affects the players so they complain and so on is a good thing. The identity of our club is at stake. I'd rather us not make the playoffs this year if somehow a club-wide anger is fomented against AEG as a result.

As others have put it well, we considered ourselves a soccer club, not a business, because of Wilt's invovlement. I don't agree with every decision he ever made, but despite disagreements, I always respected the way he viewed the team. Without Wilt, and with all evidence from Guppy's illustrious past, our club is going to become a commodity. We have every reason to act in ways to prevent this, and the best way to do it is show that the Fire as soccer club is more successful ($$$) than the Fire as excuse/tenant for Bridgeview satidum. People don't go see crappy corporate teams.

I was waiting until the last minute to renew season tickets. I am not going to. I was putting together a group to reserve a big block of seats in B-view. Not going to.

My loyalty is to the Fire, not to the Fire-arm of AEG corp. Those are two veddy veddy different things.

23. VfB Feuerwehr

VfB Feuerwehr New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    In the Cube-Forest
    Isn't this what AEG wants anyway?

Dear Hardcore Fans,

Yes, please come to the games anyway. Please keep your mouths shut. Please leave your drums and horns at home. Just sit, watch the game, drink and eat our concessions, and then leave until the next home game. This will decrease the apprehension in our target audience, the soccermom & placid family outing groups and encourage them that we have taken care of the dangerous soccer hooligan and ruffian contingents behind the goal. You're wearing of black will help us profile and oppress you, as you have now distinguished yourselves from normal fans wearing replica jerseys. We'll be shutting down your tailgates soon so that we force you to buy more concessions.

Thanks, and keep the KY handy.

Warmest Regards,
    AEG Suits

24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What "apprehension" in their target audience? What evidence is there that supporters groups have a negative impact on attendance, such that their silence would lead to a desire by parents, who have NO INTEREST in watching live soccer, to take their kids to see live soccer?

This is not about attendance at soccer games, it is about concerts and events held in stadiums that used soccer clubs as their excuse to be built.

Wilt was a soccer guy. Wilt was not about booking Lollapalooza.

And for fvck's sake, don't give them any more money than you already have. If you desperately need to throw money at something, choose something else.

25. VfB Feuerwehr

VfB Feuerwehr New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    In the Cube-Forest
    I think you missed my attempt at humor. I think there is this general attitude among FOs and IOs that the hardcore fans don't matter, and that it is the other groups that must be catered to. Soccermoms with little kids in tow probably don't like the idea of having their little ones being exposed to drunk and disorderly conduct, excessive swearing, and the attitude displayed at games (i'm being general, not pointing at S8 in particular here, but at supporter groups around MLS).

There just seems to be a lack of forward thinking that on-field product and game atmosphere don't matter compared to amentities, promotions, gimics, and "family fun". I also wasn't making any points about this move being attendance driven, but was simply saying that I currently don't see a plan that will actually be effective in getting "the man" to care about the decision that he's already made.