Question on Impeding/Intimidating

Discussion in 'Referee' started by HenryGloryDays04, Apr 18, 2014.

1. HenryGloryDays04

HenryGloryDays04 New Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Mooresville, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on a dual-man system, reffing a U14 recreational girls game last night. Through the first half I kept getting remarks from Red coach about Black-3 constantly impeding his player running across the middle of the field. Since this was dual and my other ref was somewhat inexperienced I had trouble seeing any of this during play.

Halfway through the second half I see B-3 in Red-4's "bubble" to such a degree that she is touching R-4, and R-4 is having to back off. Before I can do anything I have to shift my attention to the corner coming in, resolving just to keep an eye on it. Minutes later, on a black free kick, I see it again. It is behind the ball thats coming in the other way, but B-3 is "covering" R-4 to such a degree that B-3 is completely in her face, and this time I clearly tell she's saying something to the R-4 trying to intimidate her. I stop the free kick, go talk to her under the guise of it being "impeding" if she's doing that when play starts (but really more worried about it provoking a confrontation), and re-start play.

I know in NFHS there is taunting, which this could potentially apply to, but I didn't see anything directly pertaining to it in the laws or advice. At that age/experience I'm not going to card her or anything of the sort, as she'll stop (which she did) after I talk to her. For future reference though, if a player is clearly and visibly trying to intimidate the opposing players, what would this fall under?

More importantly, if I see a player A clearly doing something of the sort to intimidate or rile up opponent B, and opponent B retaliates (with fists or pushing), but player A does nothing violent/physical, do you send off A as well?

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Inappropriate behavior to intimidate an opponent would simply be unsporting behavior.

Whether to send off A depends on what A did, not what B did. But if A's beahvior was "orange," and B is being sent off, the "orange" shold be treated as red. On the other hand, if A's behavior was truly nothing that warranted more than a yellow, and B is stupid enough to throw a punch, too bad, so said for B: caution A and send off B. (Not sure what you're envisioning as a "pushing" that would be red; if B's conduct was "orange," and she was goaded into it by cautionable behavior I would probably be going with just a cauiton for B as well.)

3. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Unsporting Behavior is a catchall for all this kind of stuff.

HS Basketball has a rule that calls for the ejection of the provoker, as well as the puncher in a fight. Unfortunately, soccer really doesn't have this provision.

4. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    While I don't recall it being specifically called out, I think you could easily "upgrade" the UB to taunting if it provokes a fight. As mentioned above, I think it really depends on if the provocation is worthy of the send-off. Taunting, per NFHS, is 'the use of word of act to incite or degrade an opposing player, coach, referee or other individual.'

Back to the original poster, I think this can be handled a couple of ways depending on what you feel the temperature of the match is. Anything from a quiet word, public AC, caution or send off (and you certainly could work up the chain on that).

Considering the fact that this is a women's match, there is a good chance those two have some history that could be a factor. You can never underestimate that element, so take heed.

dadman repped this.
  5. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the NFHS card says Taunting or Baiting of opponents. Which this seems like something that would fit in this category.

As an aside because I always warn people when I hear about it. Don't work dual systems if they are "USSF" matches, even recreational. You are not covered if something goes down. Just a warning.

6. Wahoos1

Wahoos1 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Talk to her. Dont let her play dumb because she will. "Keep it up and its a booking for USB..." Manage first then you have another level to address any escalation.

mudhen and dadman repped this.
  7. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    If you're doing this game under NFHS rules, a caution means that she will have to sub out. You might consider saying something to the coach like "Coach, three is doing stupid stuff out there. You want to sub her or shall I?" The coach's response may tell you whether this is a coached tactic or a players with history problem.

dadman, MrPerfectNot and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  8. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    It will also tell you how much of an asshole the coach is if he decides to tell you off. The good ones will always sub the player.

dadman and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  9. Buck the ref

Buck the ref Member

Aug 7, 2012

Here's your answer for USSF:
    12.29 SENDING-OFF OFFENSES
    A player who commits serious foul play, violent conduct, a deliberate handling of the ball which denies
    a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity, or an offense which denies an obvious goalscoring
    opportunity must be sent from the field. These categories of misconduct are discussed in more detail in
    Sections C and D below. A player who commits any of the following actions will also be sent from the
    field:
    • Spits at an opponent or any other person
    • Uses offensive, insulting, or abusive language (including nonverbal language or actions)
    • Receives a second caution in the same match

You determine if it was taunting and then call it offensive and abusive language and send the jerk off

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    And if you don't want to go red, there shouldn't be any cause for complaint if you go yellow for USB, whether invoking "verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart" or otherwise.