Question on Fort growth

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsSeasonTix, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    C'mon, we're Revs fans. We all know where the 50 yard line is. It's there for a bunch of games every season.

RevsLiverpool, Crooked and RevsFanDan repped this.
  2. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, true. And even with a flying Elvis in addition to the numerals.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think another is less TVcoverage. I'm sure the team likes having the SGs visible and I'm guessing(?) the supporters like being on TV also. Moving the SGs under the cameras at midfield would make them pretty much invisible on TV. Moving you guys to the opposite side would mean uprooting a LOT of long-time STHs (+me).

I think an expanded corner section, away from the opening, might be the best choice (isn't that what they do in Cbus?).

4. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    OK, but that is also a fairly shortsighted view. Because if the intention is to improve stadium atmosphere and the gameday experience, the hope is that it would spill over and create an even more exciting and loud stadium. Also, the low TV ratings this team gets really shouldn't dictate too much how the fans are dispersed throughout the stadium. They've tried ti manipulate that in the past and it hasn't helped attendance or TV ratings. The focus should be on the live experience. Once that is improved, theoretically, so will the TV audience.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I couldn't care less about being on TV. I think providing a good audible level of actual support is the point. I guess getting on TV might get people interested in joining, so that's a plus I suppose, but that's not the major deal.

When we talked about moving to midfield, it was never on the side where we'd have to move the long-timers. It was on the empty side (at the time).

The corner section has been talked about a bit as well, and that might be the best option. But the exact opposite corner of the open end of the stadium would be the best as the noise would move out towards the field and the other fans.

Kraft Out repped this.
  6. TheLincolnKing

Dec 15, 2011
    ATL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see the organization get involved hands on in a street team capacity with the vibrant amateur league scene we have in New England that currently has no contact or connection with the New England Revolution. I would start by sending liaisons to meet with the presidents of all local amateur and ethnic leagues in New England to find out how the Revs could benefit them in terms of marketing and uplift of the game in a mutually benficial two-way relationship. I would start simply with the meetings and then with a Revs wrapped Navigator/Escalade traveling New England every weekend and giving free tickets to players. Understanding that most of these may go unused and scoffed at frankly at first but a consistent commitment will be appreciateda dn ultimately fruitful. In coordination with the leagues outreach, a community ambassadorship program is undertaken providing a paid stipend to appropriate influential figures in the various New England soccer playing ethnic communities including Cape Verdean, Brazilian, Irish, Viet, etc. I recommend a permanent halt on nachos grande night, and the formation of a New England Revolution U23's PDL team to play at a stadium in the metropolitan Boston area, maybe Parsons or Harvard, or even Dilboy in Somerville, and said PDL team to play a full slate of friendly/preseason matches with LUSA/BSSL/MSSL/NELASA teams. The establishment of a New England cup similar to the tournament they have in DC, in which a senior Revs side (probably populated with reserves, like the USOC, but still) and have all New Englnd MLS, Reserves, PDL, and selected amateur teams from the above leagues compete in a knockout cup with Revs hosting outside Gillette at one of the aforementioned urban locations. Until yall get on your shit REVS and get something/anything like this together I will continue to do the scaled down version of this I do by charting, blogging, and recording these games, wearing my SG scarf most of the time, and talking to as many people as I possibly can. What would really help spur this movement, would be if we got a solid group of SGF members to attend a weekly designated match, one of the higher profile with 50+ attendees so probably LUSA, and get out there and nonleague tailgate and make some noise, wear Revs gear and support the local game. Rant Over, Im out. #DITP

Oh yeah, and by Street Team, I dont mean Revs Girls Im talking about a SKREET ********in TEAM, that really hits the road and gets it in, and of course, the team must have talented promotional members who speak the languages of the communities they are speaking with, Portuguese, Spanish, Haitian Creole, Vietnamese etc.

7. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, I agree with this completely. Until recently, when my body broke down completely, I had played in the very high levels of these Amateur leagues. Most of the time the players on these teams had no idea when games where, where games were and some of them had no idea the team even existed. Some of these guys would play games at 10-11am on Saturday/Sunday and then proceed to drink all day watching whatever dross league was playing on gol/setanta/espn/rte/etc...I'm pretty sure that even a small percentage of them would consider going to games, even if only once, if they had a stronger connection to the team.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I was looking at some footage of Gillette this morning and realized that the real sound problem in the fort is that there's no upper deck above/behind it - that's what would redirect the sound back across the stadium.

9. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    ok, Mr. Sound Engineer.

10. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Have you considered engaging revs fans via other social media platforms? There is at least one Fort supporters group that has almost no presence on Bigsoccer but has a presence on twitter.

11. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    To be honest.. I was a season ticket holder, but the negativity on the field, and the negativity that the front office repeatedly showed in their dealings with the Fort and the supporters groups, that's why even with my schedule now allowing me to attend if I wanted, I haven't looked to re-get season tickets.

If things change (On the field and in the relationship with the fans), I'd definitely love to come back, but it just was not any fun!

RevsFanDan repped this.
  12. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of this...
    Right now the team just kind of floats in the periphery and isn't a part of the actual soccer culture of the city.

In conjunction with the rumor that Reserve sides would be entered in USL PRO I hope the Revs don't miss the opportunity to play these matches in urban settings. Getting involved in the lower levels of soccer that are all closely tied toward different important urban settings would be huge step in the right direction.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  13. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    would love to follow them on twitter...handle?

14. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EXACTLY!!

This team and MLS is IRRELEVANT in the Boston Market..completely and utterly. Is that where we all thought we'd be 18 years after MLS was founded!

I know that a single representative in the Ticket Office can't change the world..But, I hope that he'll at least understand where our bickering comes from!

We're not just trolls trying to undermine the team...We're just looking for a Front Office/Ownership that doesn't treat the team second fiddle. I totally want our own home, but would rather have a very interested owner who is interested in MLS as more than a way to fill 17 dates in the man mall stadium!

A few of us here..want the Revs go out and get a decent DP signing that has legs and a name to attract die hard fans of the Game! It's actually quite simple what it would take to get people in the seats! The difficult part is what they've done the past 17yrs(Alienating large swaths of ppl GENUINELY interested in the Sport)

The job is actually made harder for the ticket reps. The current Revs is like trying to sell Bright-O!

Oh well...

15. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes old teams new! Nyuck-nyuck!

RevsFanDan repped this.
  16. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    RevsSeasonTix repped this.
  17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article is pretty mcuh spot-on, and the Revs FO should read it and digest it.

In 17 years of supporting this team, I can safely say that one thing the Powers That Be never, ever seemed to undertand was that it is a joint effort between supporters and the FO. It is exactly right that you can't pick and choose the parts of supporter culture you want, and promote the team using that, and at the same time, squash the other elements you don't like as if it were an insect.

The "YSA" issue had very little to do with people wanting to shout not-so-nice things. It had everything to do with Security wanting to stamp out something with no warning, and taking the most drastic actions possible. Talk about using a firehose to exstinguish a match! And then Brian Bilelo lied about it to our faces, thinking that we are such idiots that we can't see through it.

Marcus, if you want to know why some folks are not wholeheartedlty behind your noble, sincere efforts to improve fan culture, you need look no further than your own bosses' actions. People generally won't have an issue with a decision that doesn't go their way if it is made in a respecful manner, but to tell us that they have no control whatsoever over Team Ops, when everyone knows they are also owned by Bob Kraft is just treating us like we are too stupid to know, or too passive to care, neither of which is the case.

People didn't get fed up overnight, and it will take a long time to regain the lost goodwill. The opposite of loving the team isn't hating it; it is apathy. Right now, there are a lot of once-die hards who are in the apathy camp. Does Bilelo know this? Does he care? What is his plan to win the die-hards back?

nsa, Werdman89, RevsFanDan and 1 other person repped this.
  20. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Quick question for everyone....if there was a supporters forum with some of the ticket guys and with some FO higher ups where we could begin rebuilding this relationship would you be down to attend it?

21. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been this. But I hate to keep discouraging you.... the last time it had to do with FortGate and it was supposed to be a summit... I wasn't there but by all accounts it turned out to be a deflating one way lecture.

nsa repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what he said. People who were there can elaborate, but from what witneses said, Brian basically lectured us, and this absolutely despicable excuse for a human being from TeamOps berated the fans, while lying to our faces about their role. They claimed that it wasn't predetermined, but they made sure the Rev Girls were out of the way, more than a couple of people were told before the game that "something would be going down" and a few other concrete examples...

Read the old thread and you'll get your fill of details. I hate to be pessimistic, but there is a huge amount of mistrust built on a repeated pattern of supporters giving the benefit of the doubt time and time again, only to be burned yet again.

nsa repped this.
  23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcus, a lot of people (here at least) have indicated they'd like to go higher than even the FO and have a representative from ownership. So, for example, if Robert or Jonathan Kraft could attend one of those meetings and answer questions as part of a panel with Bilello, Burns, and Heaps that would turn heads and I do think a significant amount of people would attend.

Whether or not this is feasible or realistic may be another matter entirely, but if the supporters had their druthers many supporters (based on posts over the years I've read this board) would certainly appreciate the opportunity.

LongDuckDong and RevsFanDan repped this.
  24. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, Marcus - your presence on these boards is one of the most encouraging signs I've seen from the organization in quite a while, so please don't take this the wrong way.

If there's a meeting, and no one with the last name "Kraft" is there, then it's a waste of time.

Right or wrong, there is a perception that ownership doesn't care about the Revs. The owners need to hear directly from the fans about what's going on with the club, what works and what doesn't, and what they need to do to improve. We've been "yessed" to death by both current and previous members of the front office. Not to say your efforts aren't sincere, but in my opinion, the Revs need to demonstrate a little commitment to their fans.

25. Supahhhrev

Supahhhrev Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Dorchestah, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Luck Marcus,
    You've got an uphill battle on your hands. Personally I may go to a couple of away matches in '13 but probably not Gillette. Somebody let me know when things change there please (or they move)?
    Thanks,
    -Beau