Question for you older folks

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by el jefe2010, Dec 11, 2012.

1. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Actually Hatch was Canadian

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda. Uniform, yes.
    However, Hatch as portrayed by Stalone, he was listed as U.S.A. in the end score track. Love that flick.

3. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    The end credits list where the actual actor is from (ie Pele=Brazil) but the character, Hatch, explains to the British Officers that he is Canadian (when he is explaining his first escape plan).

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    There were U.S. servicemen that "went North" to volunteer for Canada, really the British Empire as Canada was still flying the Union Jack up until the 60's, to get into the war effort before Pearl Harbor ushered us in proper. Hatch was understood to be American in the film as the British officers in the film refer to him once if not twice as "damn bloody Yank". Also, when playing association football, Hatch gets turned by one of the guys and he resorts to tackling the man in gridiron/rugby form and Michael Cain's character yells at Hatch for such tackling with "enough with the American football crap, get off the field Hatch!"

5. shuggey1965

shuggey1965 New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Try ?Dynamo". Read it years ago, and it's about Kiev during the German occupation, and after. Talk about team spirit, guess that is why the name fits.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read that! Incredible story. The slavic peoples really got the brunt end of Nazi blitzkrieg/eventual occupation. Hence what those prisoners endured in POW camps. Holy Christ was it bad!

7. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A discussion about the nationality of a squad member from a fictional team from a movie about soccer. I love BigSoccer!

Roger Allaway repped this.
  8. el jefe2010

el jefe2010 Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that irrelevant on BigSoccer are facts

JC507 repped this.
  9. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    that is NOT True!

:D

JC507 and *rey* repped this.
  10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct!
    It was the ONLY soccer on TV for us kids in the early 80's! That team meant a lot to us in a weird way. It was GO ALLIES! Pele n his fictional teammates. Irish goalie volunteers to have his arm broken so the team can escape. Beast of a flick!

11. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reliving the Old Firm

CeltTexan repped this.
  12. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

"Soccer in a Football World" is probably in my top five books of all time in any genre. Engrossing stuff.

13. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Ponce

check out Galeanos soccer book
    http://www.amazon.com/Soccer-Sun-Shadow-New-Edition/dp/1859844235

You are not going to learn much from it, but its entertaining light reading. I enjoyed it, as it presented from a Uruguayan fan standpoint that i wasnt expecting

I think i wasnt expecting such a political writer to express his opinions about futbol. Galeano is a left-leaning writer who was popular in the 70s in latin america, and you had to carry his "open veins" book hidden from view, or the secret police from numerous countries would take you to jail, put a tire's inner tube around your head, seal it with pesticide powder inside, let you suffocate for a few hours while they beat the crap out of you, and then dump you on a dark street a few days later with a broken nose and broken ribs after they realized you were just a dumb student reading some leftist propaganda. Check out Open Veins while you are at it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Open-Veins-La...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376757777&sr=1-2

The_Ponce repped this.
  14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #64 CeltTexan, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    That Celtic vs. Rangers video is quality viewing for anyone that wants insight into the Old Firm and it's hincha culture. In Glasgow, association football is more than a game.

I used to tolerate the IRA chants years ago but that shit really is for the birds and has no place in backing the players. To make no mention that para-militaries on the loose have killed young boys for such things as joy riding and the like, which I want nothing to do with.

With Rangers die hards and their stance for calling Celtic supporters pseudo-Irishman even thought they are from East Glasgow it is very ironic to be proud to be British as Scotland fought to avoid rule via the crown of England in London. Which makes their stance seem like they celebrate being tied to a monarch as a great thing in life, to which as an American and our way of being when we had to kick out the Brits and their king or queen rule, celebrating a monarch's rule, a often brutal lot who used to hang your people and the like, to celebrate thatwith songs for your football team is embarrassing as it gets. But that is just my opinion as a Texan.

15. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I figured @*rey* would enjoy this article.

http://deadspin.com/the-crime-novelist-who-reinvented-soccer-writing-1521550162

*rey* repped this.