Question for you older folks

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by el jefe2010, Dec 11, 2012.

1. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Sir Nigel wants to open his place up for a book club, I'm down, or we can meet at Stags. Let's actually get a meet-up going for real.

2. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was volunteering his place in jest. Let's do it though - Stags sounds good. Maybe after the new years?

3. Marquez

Marquez Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Houston
    I guess to add my two cents:

Books -

The Ball is Round - Excellent read. It's incredibly detailed and sometimes dry and you may find yourself glossing over certain portions but there is more than enough material to go around.

Inverting the Pyramid - Another very good read. This and The Ball is Round actually complement each other nicely as they each focus on different topics.

Soccernomics - I haven't heard this one mentioned as yet but it is very interesting. Don't let the title fool you by thinking it is a boring book. It is full of interesting stories and uses statistics to discuss topics in a very entertaining way. It's actually probably the most entertaining out of the three books I mention here.

Movies/Documentaries -

The Damned United - Great movie and actually pretty damn funny as well.

Once in a Lifetime - As I wasn't around during the NASL days, it was great to see all the insanity that was going on during the late Cosmos days. It will also provide some context as to why MLS has taken such a measured approach with salary caps, player contracts, etc.

Paleda - I haven't heard this one mentioned either. Its a nice relatively short documentary about two recently graduated college soccer players who travel all across the world and actually play whatever pick up games they can find with the locals. I thought it pretty fun to watch.

Also, all the movies I mentioned can be found on netflix.

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

I haven't read it but Gwendolyn Oxenham (the girl from Paleda) wrote a book called "Finding the Game" about the experience as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Game-Twenty-five-Countries-Search/dp/1250002044

5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want a good history of MLS, nothing is better than BigSoccer's own Beau Dure's "Long Range Goals". Great read about the early history and foundation of the league. Of course for humor the "Beckham Experiment" can't be missed. Grant Wahl did a great job of looking, mostly objectively, at the disasterous first years.

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice recommendations on US soccer in the posts above. The Beckham Experiment is a great read. It's not at all a puff piece in Beckham. Grant Wahl is a real journalist and doesn't hide or paper over the good stuff. There's a great story in there about Ruud Gullit and fried chicken. :D

Also, if you want some really good reference books about US soccer, I'd recommend these:

The Encyclopedia of American Soccer History. It's what is sounds like. More info about the alphabet soup of soccer leagues in US soccer history than you ever imagined. Plus, all you ever wanted to know about the likes of the Fall River Marksmen or Bethlehem Steel.

The American Soccer League 1921-1931, The Golden Years of American Soccer. It's more of a reference book than a narrative, but still lots if interesting info.

Both of those books - as well as the other books and movies that people have mentioned - about US soccer show how much of a history the game has in this country. Americans should know about their own soccer history and be proud of the game's life here. It's had ups and downs - and, frankly, before MLS there were more downs - but there's a lot there. American soccer fans don't need to try to sound British by using their sports terms or try to mimic their way of doing things. American soccer has its own history.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole Ruud Gullit section of the book is almost fictional in its comedy and out-of-this-world stupidity and misfortune.

For more US Soccer history, check out Roger Allaway's Blog. Couple of my favorite posts of his:

Shirt Sponsors first appeared in America
    First Game in Your State

Texas?

8. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083284/

What? It's loosely based on a true story. And a 5'-0" tall goalkeeper is entirely believable :)

Also, you get to see footballers like Pele and Bobby Moore try their hand at acting.

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ^^^ Word!

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Jorge Campos, Adolfo Rios, 'El Conejo' Perez, Nick Rimando are all Robert Hatch height or shorter. what they get right is that even during WWII the US was only succesful at exporting goalkeepers. :thumbsup:

Westside Cosmo and Caddman repped this.
  11. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ran across this movie about the Hillsborough disaster.

12. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Quote = That Anderson bloke (how can a Brazilian be name Anderson - Never Mind)American soccer fans don't need to try to sound British by using their sports terms or try to mimic their way of doing things. American soccer has its own history.[/quote]

Wait - I'm confused. So if I'm American do I have to give up the sports terms I grew up with?

Never mind Yanks - here's a photo taken of the very first team I ever followed (although it was a few years later).

[​IMG]

13. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To a good extent, Once in a Lifetime's viewpoint about the history of soccer in America is that soccer didn't exist here before the NASL.

redinthemorning repped this.
  14. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I've watched a couple of Netflix suggestions while on vacation this week.

[​IMG]

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2006869/

A surprisingly candid look at events from Bernie Ecclestone & Flavio Briatore's purchase of Queen's Park Rangers to their promotion to the premier league. I found myself wondering if they knew they were being filmed.

[​IMG]

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1815903/

This was pretty good too. Jay had some guts to go play in a pub league in England.

15. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Kennedy posted this short video of the 1924 USOC final on twitter.

It may be the oldest surviving video of US soccer.

According to the caption on youtube, the Fall River Marksmen (Mass.), champions of the American Soccer League traveled to St. Louis to play Vesper Buick, the champions of the St. Louis Soccer League. The post on youtube has more details.

El Naranja, Caddman and The_Ponce repped this.
  16. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that far and away the best history of American soccer is "Soccer in a Football World" by David Wangerin.

redinthemorning repped this.
  17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  18. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    metroag repped this.
  19. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I didn't really take that away from the movie-They focused that their was no pro soccer but that there were regional hotbeds. All of which I agree, objectively as the truth

you sir are the man. I almost bought this DVD when I was living in the UK until the man reminded me about the regional differences in DVDs. He tried to explain the switching format thing for a Mac but I just nevermind, I'll probably screw up my laptop doing that.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our U.S. Open Cup is 100 years old now. Crowning consecutive National Champions.
    But to many, our nation has no history with the world's game. Sigh.

21. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    You missed the last part of the caption, Photo by Nigel Brooks!

Levy2k6, *rey* and el jefe2010 repped this.
  22. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    Currently on the Senor Cool Book Shelf:

Jose Mourinho: Simply the Best--Goes through the Chelsea 05-06 season match by match.
    More Than Just A Game--Soccer in South Africa on Robben Island during the 60's and 70's
    Tevez--Biography of that miserable prick
    It You're Second, You're Nothing: Ferguson and Shankly--Compares the careers of the managers
    Hard Tackles and Dirty Baths by George Best--George gives his takes on football from 1962-1974
    Blessed--The Autobiography of George Best--Absolutely loved this book
    My Chelsea Dream--The story of the rebuilding of Chelsea by Ken Bates
    Captain for Life and Other Temporary Assignments--John Harkes talks about his career and how it ended
    Long Range Goals--Story of the MLS
    How Soccer Explains the World--Described in prior posts
    The Fix--Discusses match fixing all over the world. Completely messed me up!
    Guus Hiddink, Going Dutch--Talks about the career of Hiddink
    Ajax, The Dutch and the War--Talks about Ajax and soccer in Holland during World War II
    Carlo Ancelotti--His Autobiography
    20 Years with Brian Clough--Duncan Hamilton folowed Clough for the newspapers for 20 years
    Behind the Curtain--Talks about soccer in Eastern European countries during the Cod War
    Anatomy of England--Talks about the 10 matches that define England
    Mourinho: Anatom of a Winner--Talks about the qualities of Mourinho
    The Damned United, The Unforgiven and We Are the Damned United--The story of Clough and his 44 days at Leeds
    Tor--The history of German football
    Englischer Fussball--How the Germans interpret English Football---Very interesting read
    The World is a Ball--Talks about fandom in football, especially the Irish
    Among the Thugs--An American gets involved in English Hooliganism
    La Roja--History of Spanish Football
    Soccernomics--Sociology of Soccer
    Soccer Against the Enemy--Same things
    St. John and Greavsies Funy old Games--Stories about football from Ian St. John and Jimmy Greaves
    Brilliant Orange--How the Dutch view soccer
    Game of their Lives--Story of the American defeat of England in 1950
    Bloody Confused--An American starts to love the game, supporting Portsmouth
    Cloughie, Walking on Water--His Autobiography
    Ossie--Bigraphy of Peter Osgood, Chelsea Legend
    The Bonnie Prince--Biography of Charlie Cooke, Chelsea and Scotland legend
    Fever Pitch--Book about supporting the game
    Geoff Hurst, Hand of God and Biggest Rows in Football--Former referee Graham Poll breaks down some of the most important refereeing decisions in the history of the World Cup
    Scoring at Half Time--George Best tells stories from his time as a player
    Red Army General--Tony O'Neill talks about being the leader of the Manchester United Hooligans
    The Italian Job--Gianluca Vialli talks about soccer in both England and Italy
    Inverting the Pyramid--History of Tactics
    Seeing Red--Graham Poll talks about his career as a referee
    Dennis Wise's autobiography--Interesting story about Dennis Wise
    Big Match Bingo--Waiting for the ultimate football sayings
    The Manager--Story about the history of football managers
    The Beckham Experiment--Story of Beckham in MLS
    Didier Drogba--His Autobiography

Right now, I am reading, Broken Dreams, which talks about how money is ruining British Football.

That is about 4 years worth of reading, and I have a long list to continue.

The_Ponce repped this.
  23. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    Now in the collection, The Ten Shirt: How the United States Could Have Won the 1982 World Cup. I will start on that one tomorrow and we will see how this one plays out.

24. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch

25. el jefe2010

el jefe2010 Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for all your help. I got The Ball is Round for Christmas and am on pace to finish it by 2022!