Question about the 2015 WWC

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by YankBastard, Jul 22, 2011.

1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for being out of the loop on this. How the hell did Canada get chosen over the US for the world cup? Did the US even try to host it?

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US has hosted two already (1999 and 2003), so they're not likely to get picked again anytime soon. I don't think they even tried to bid for 2015.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think mr. Bastard want the women's World Cup to be just like the Gold cup. :p

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  4. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Given the USA hosting 1999 and 2003, and given Canada's prior decent record, and given that Canada is more advanced than many other countries in women's sports generally, Canada was a good choice.

One has to expect that Japan or Korea (or perhaps a joint effort) will get 2019, and it will return to Europe most likely for 2023 (France or England might be fitting hosts; Sweden had 1995).

Then, it's back to the New World for 2027. The two nations that will get consideration, depending on the evolution of the game, are Brazil and Mexico.

It is unlikely to return to the USA, then, perhaps until 2041.

5. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I hope Australia and/or New Zealand get 2019.

6. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's Canada. Canada! Are they going to kick out the CFL teams from their stadiums and get rid of the gridiron lines? Don't tell me they're going to play in that astro-turf in TFC's stadium?

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wikipedia has a list of proposed stadiums:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_Women's_World_Cup

Haven't checked them all, but the stadium in Edmonston currently has artificial turf.

8. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    I think Canada is a good choice...

Look at the bidding process for men's WC...Countries were lining up to offer their bids...Even corruption was alleged...

Look at the bidding process for women's WC...I don't think many countries were lining up to offer their bids...I don't know when we ever will see countries lining up to host women's WC...It would be nice if that happened...But, I am not so sure if that would ever happen.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is when we will know that Women's World Cup finally made it, when France accuses Senegal of bribing the selection committee.

I cross my fingers for that moment :D

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    And it really should.
    It should be there or in Brazil.

We have seen the Women's World Cup in: Europe, North America, and Asia.

Therefore, it would only be fair if the 2019 WWC is in Australia or South America. I can't imagine Africa hosting it soon (maybe South Africa), but South Africa just hosted the men's world cup in 2010, so maybe the WWC can be in South Africa in 2023 or 2027.

Here's how I would do it ............

2015 WWC: Canada (already locked in)
    2019 WWC: Australia
    2023 WWC: Brazil
    2027 WWC: South Africa
    2031 WWC: England or France (somewhere in Europe, not in Germany or Sweden)
    2035 WWC: Japan
    2039 WWC: USA
    2043 WWC: China
    2047 WWC: Spain or Italy (Germany and Sweden have hosted before)

But I wouldn't mind if it were in Europe one out of every three world cups, because Europe provides the best big tournament atmosphere for the sport.

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My proposals:

1. In order to enhance the status of the WWC I suggest to abolish the Womens Olympic Soccer tournament or transfer it into a "U21 tourney" like its with the Men`s.
    2. In return the WWC takes place every two years(2015, 2017, 2019....). In between the years of the MWCs.
    3. The host is not elected by the FIFA assembly but by and within the best 10 world ranked teams(on average over the whole year) and that 3 years ahead of the tournament(so in the case of 2017 this would be 2014).
    4. There is no given rotation between the continental associations. The best bid wins it. But no country is allowed to host(or even bid for) the WWC two times in a row.
    5. The best bid has to involve that the majority of the proposed stadiums are "real" soccer stadiums. At least two stadiums have to be renovated or build for the purpose of being used by a local Womens soccer club afterwards.
    6. All teams start their preparation at the exact same point of time, which should be around 6 weeks before the tourney.
    7. The host and the title holder are automatically qualified. 24 teams in the competition. 21 of them have to go through qualification in order to participate. One "wild-card" team is drawn out of the 10 best not participating countries.
    8. In order to improve and drive forward the Womens game - step-by-step until 2025 - its getting compulsory to run a professional or at least semi-pro soccer league an to run soccer youth academies.

12. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The previous winner should still have to qualify for the next world cup. Your wild card scenario is utterly ridiculous. It pretty much kills competition because it would give a top side that screwed up and lost in qualifiers a chance to still be in the competition.

13. Dr 7

Dr 7 New Member

Jun 15, 2011
    The Women World Cup shouldn`t automatically be rotated to every continent like the men`s WC. I think it would be better to evaluate,which locations guarantee the respect and attention the Womens WC deserves.Let the countrys host it where the level of appreciation is higher, so the games don`t feel like some U17 or U20 World Cups,where nobody is in the stands watching. Remember when the mens World Cup rotated between Europe and the Americas? It was great for the game,as both continents lived and breathed the game and just changing it too soon because of pc or money ( FIFA Qatar,I`m talking to you !),will not help to build a stronger foundation.Asia,North America and Europe are the cradle and the foundation of womens wc soccer (Brazilian Ladies unfortunately have no foundation,thank you CBF) so lets first have women`s WC in places with maximum respect and enthusiasm for the game. South America has a looong way to go. I could even see Australia,if they keep up the good work,hosting it before them.Aussies love sports (men or women).
    So after Canada 2015, let`s see if Asia or Europe would be better for the exposure and development of the game.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Japan in 2019 would be pretty good, even after 8 years of winning the cup.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1.- the Olympics is a U-23 for the men. I do agree, maybe star with a Sub 28 and move it down to 23 after a few cycles.

2. Every 4 years is fine.

16. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would say just copy the men's format. U-23 tournament with 16 teams. Oh and also introduce a U-21 European championship (and the same for the other continents). I hate to see when the U-20 players are deported to the U-23 team and play two meaningless friendlies and that's it. They should still be able to play competitive matches with the U-21 or otherwise they will never have a chance of making it to the senior team.

No, just no. In 1. you want to enhance the status of the WWC, but if it takes place every two years it would only devalue its status and also the status of the continental championships.

No, there should be more time for the hosts and they should also select countries outside the top 10 to boost women's football there.

That's actually not too bad, but I think they should also select countries under the criterion of developing women's football everywhere on the world.

The problem is that currently there are no women's football clubs which need such a big stadium.

They should just do as they please.

No, the holder should have the right to qualify. It's just horrible only to be able to play friendlies for years.

17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In my scenario its just two years between the tournaments. And if you think that there´ll be a continental competition every four years the title holder does not face that huge amount of time without any competitive matches.

As I said the 23 best teams of the world are already qualified. So you wanna call no. 24 a "top side" ? No. The wild card is thought as a chance for countries which normally wouldnt have any chance to participate. If you take a look at the world ranking then we are talking about countries like Russia, Ukraine, Scotland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Poland, China.... I could have an impact to their Womens game.

I think this should be clear now.

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah thats what I meant. Nothing but copying the the men´s format.

Well, right about now we have the same situation. Olympics and WWC have a harmful relationship to each other. Where is the sense in playing a World Cup and right the next year there is just the same kinda tourney coming around ? We agree on the Olympics. But if you take the Olympics away you got give a compensation, cause without it the Womens game will not survive. There has to be a big worldwide tourney every 2-3 years. Yeah every three years would be okay, too.

Agree. 5 years before the tourney should be okay.

Yeah as I wrote in no. 8. The selection committee should choose bids which have a clear concept of driving forward the Womens game in their country.

I think it would strengthen the competition.

19. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The continental championships especially the EURO should be the compensation.
    Also there is another advantage if the WWC takes place every 4 years. There is no competition with the men's tournaments. The year after the men's world cup is just perfect for the WWC.

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But the continental championships are so far no real competition in Womens soccer. That would be no real compensation. Even the EURO, which is maybe some kind of what comes next to it. Yes its two years ago but you surely remember the empty stands in Finland and a 6-2 in the final. What about the other continental federations ? USA is superior in North America, Brazil in South America, Germany has won the EURO seven times in a row and you want to see a compensation where is no competition like at a WWC ??? :eek: Im sorry but in Womens soccer real competition takes place on World Cup level, thats why it should take place every two years. In comparison to the status quo - the WWCs status would be enhanced definitely.

AND yeah as I wrote the WWC should be placed in between the years of the Mens events like 2015, 2017, 2019.... there is only a collision with the Mens Confed-Cup, which is -if we are honest - a bad joke. But the Summer is long enough to hold two cups. Like Gold Cup and WWC 2011 this year. Another aspect could be then, cause its not needed anymore, to abolish the Algarve Cup.

21. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
    TFC plays on natural grass on BMO Field. But Toronto isn't in the mix anyway because of the city didn't want the WC to overshadow being host of Pan American Games. Stupid decision but that's classic Tourism TO.

Wikipedia page about proposed stadiums is missing BC Place - after reno, slated to open this fall. I can see Japan being slotted into Vancouver for group play. Opening match will probably in Edmonton or Vancouver. And Ottawa is slated to have a new stadium whose design has received accolades.

22. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    What? I didn't see anything in your suggestion that included shorter winters in Scandinavia and until there are Algarave Cup is needed to start the seasson for the Scandinavian/Nordic WNT teams (which was the reason it started and one of the reasons it is needed.)
    And our summers is NOT long enough for two CUPs and still have a leauge.
    To force Scandinavia to drop out of International competiton our to drop our national leauges do NOT sound like a healty way to develop womens Soccer.

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah sorry I didnt know that. But its just a problem of Sweden and Norway. But no real prob. And yeah it seems I forgot to mention "global warming" will around 2025 solve that. Winters will be short enough to run a league in two(a fall and spring)legs -EVEN in Scandinavia. No just kidding ;) If you actually need the Algarve Cup starting you season than there is sth. going wrong, cause in such a proposed scenario - no one else will need it anymore.

And where did I wrote that I want (eg.) Sweden to host two cups at the same year ? I said it is possible two have two four-week-tourneys a summer like this year the MENS(!!!!!) Gold Cup in the US and the WWC cause its no conflicting schedule on TV.

OMG ! Are Canadien summers long enough to host the tourney at all ?

24. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Canada at the end of August. There was a cold snap toward the end of my visit (and we're just talking fifties or sixties here), and everyone started replacing their screen windows with storm windows in preparation for winter.

25. wbn1000

wbn1000 New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seriously?

Assuming the World Cup will be held in the same late-June to early-July window, the weather will be rather nice for football. Winnipeg will be one of the host cities in 2015 and the temperature here ranged between 22 and 31 Celsius throughout the three weeks the World Cup was on this year.

With the possible exception of it being a tad cooler in Vancouver and Halifax, and a wee bit warmer in Ottawa and Montreal, the weather should be pretty similar in all the host cities.

The weather would be pretty comfortable for the tournament most places in southern Canada from May to mid-October

Not doubting the story, but that's just odd.

Winnipeg isn't the warmest place in the world in winter (lows in the -30 C range are not uncommon, especially in January), but I don't know of anybody here that puts up storm windows until at least Thanksgiving weekend.