Quentin Westberg at AJ Auxerre

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Insecticide, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @bungadiri @Friedel'sAccent "Quentin Westberg at Luzenac for two years now..."

keller4president repped this.
  2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? And doom him to a thread title that will be obsolete in another year? Nope. I went straight vanilla on this one.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    What's the 3rd division like? According to wikipedia it's semi-pro. But is it like most of the big leagues where their reserve squads/u-21 teams play in that division? And why for that matter is it semi-pro when England has 4 divisions of professional teams.

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$$$$

In France, soccer is not necessary the most popular sport in the country. In the SW, where he is playing, rugby is the most popular. Skiing, cycling, tennis and basketball are also huge sports in France.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hmmm. Football is like the religion pretty much in all top 5 nations. I know cycling/rugby/basketball are pretty big in France but the UK also have rugby/cricket competing but still able to provide multiple divisions of pro and dozens more of semi-pro. Just an interesting thought I suppose.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    All of the French people I've met (so like...6) rated rugby as their favorite sport.

soccersubjectively and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #107 Clint Eastwood, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Rugby Union is considered the "national game" in the South of France.

When you look at a map of Ligue 1 teams........................the North dominates. Nice, Monaco, and Marseille are in the Southeast. The rest of France is largely empty

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ligue_1_07-08_ger_col.png

There's that entire quadrant of the Central and Southwest France that only has two Ligue 1 teams (Bordeaux and Tolouse). Rugby is king. Overlap a map of French rugby union teams and you'll see the difference.................

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206148968245153028544.0004a0f9ca75556049daf&msa=0

8. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that was what I was trying to say. I was living in France during the World Cup 1998. There was not nearly as much interest in the tournament, nor the French team as expected. In the southeast, there was not much discussion at all, until the French defeated Italy. Then nationalism kicked in.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's pretty shocking to me. I guess I grew up with the "French love football" thing

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep, me too. Blew my mind when one of them could name the entire rugby team but was only vaguely familiar with Thierry Henry.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luzenac does not seem to be in any of the Cup competitions this season - is this due to their (potential?) semi-pro status?

13. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Coupe de la League is open to professional teams only, that includes Ligue 1, Ligue 2 and two teams in National.
    The Coupe de France is open to all clubs in France and has up to 14 rounds. The must have lost really early in the regional qualifications.

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I was in Paris for a few days before the WC in 06 and was surprised at how nonchalant so many of them were about the Coupe du Monde.

I watched a game or two in a bar before heading to Germany and there wasn't much interest. Same bar had far more passion for a French Open match between Federer and Nadal.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wonder what happened? Has Rugby just exploded in the past decade or 2 and rivaled football?

Didn't the 98 WC help foster a "diverse/unity among the people". Back when I was 9 I was learning French and playing soccer at school and kept hearing "French adore soccer. They love it". Even had a Belgian teaching us and he was soccer mad and I just figured the French were the most football mad in Europe, next to the English. But also Spanish/Italians.

17. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What WC 98 did for France was unify a very diverse nation. There are tons of people who are "French" due to French colonial policy of the colonized people actually being permitted to become "French", unlike the British, you have all sorts of people. The 98 World Cup squad contained just about every group in France possible. They even had a Basque! That group really helped the sport, but as noted above Le Tour, the French Open, and often times Skiing are followed as much or more that soccer. Rugby is 1st.

18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That's London on a weekend anyway.

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I was studying in London when Ireland won the Grand Slam.

Took the trip over to Dublin with the old man to see the game vs England in Croke Park.

Def one of the best weekends of my life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Six_Nations_Championship

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I was in Paris when they won the Semi-Final. It was literally the opposite of nonchalant.

Literally one of the craziest nights of my life.

It was like those old ass videos of people partying when the berlin wall was torn down except crazier and drunker.

If I had a $ for every time I heard "vive zizou!" that night I'd be a billionaire.

21. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears they lost in their first game (5th round) to Golfech (I think they are a 6th division side).

http://www.usluzenac.info/2013/10/live-coupe-de-france/

RobtheAggie repped this.
  22. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was late getting to my friend's restaurant where we were watching the final. The streets of Paris were so empty that day, you'd have thought you had suddenly stumbled into an alternate post-apocalyptic universe.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  23. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Christ, it is not like I am 80.

soccersubjectively and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  24. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luzenac is promoted to Ligue 2. They will have to something as their 3k stadium is not large enough. They are 14 points ahead with 4 matches in the season.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome news, especially with the dearth of GKs abroad that is developing.