Quarterly Quarrel: Financial Discussion Part 4

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You can't highlight all the bad from the last 5 years, while ignoring the good. A statement such as:
    If it were not for their takeover debts United would have had £87m in free cash to spend in 2011, more than Everton's turnover.

Does exactly that.

2. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    and what is the " good" you speak of ?

3. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Read the thread NM and you will find it

4. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Club's performance, record profits, strong commercial growth.

5. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Club's performance has been in spite of them.

Having record profits and commercial growth when it's being spunk away on debt payments is like having 10 brand new lamborghini and having no gas for them. The money is being wasted away

MtP07 repped this.
  6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On a related note, apparently we just signed a global partnership deal with Epson.

7. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...the-current-health-of-the-Premier-League.html

8. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    According to https://twitter.com/#!/andersred, 1.7 million from commercial income is an inaccurate numbers because the writer used wrong numbers. And it also makes no sense why it'd be only 1.7 milion.

9. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Yeah.

I remember posting the right numbers in this thread before. And the money we were wasting in paying dividends and taxes as well.

10. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so according to andersred the commercial revenue prior to Glazer takeover £45m but there was also £55m takeover-debt interest.

also don't think he used the "wrong" numbers. he used the MUFC Ltd 2005 accounts for the number in the article. he explains it more on the timeline: https://twitter.com/#!/diggermattscott

11. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Why he assumption that the increase revenue is related to the glazers? Gill was running the club before the glazers and he is running it now. Although to be fair, the additional revenue from increased ticket prices is the galzers' doing.

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because they added staff specifically detailed to increase revenue streams.

13. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Come on, man! Even with all the hate NM has for the Glazers, I do not think even he would tack on credit at the lapels of David Gill!

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No it isn't you fcukwit! It isn't as though United's debt is infinite or perpetual. Increasing our revenue, particularly through commercial exploits is brilliant. Most of these advances will remain for years to come and when the debt is finally paid off we'll be raking in far more than we did in the past and the club will be all the better for it.

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather we were debt free with a fcuk-ton of money to spend on players too, but there's no guarantee that we would have. I also think that we could have been taken over by someone who wanted to drain United of money instead of building the club up. To deny that the Glazers are making us more commercially viable is deny reality.

Invincible repped this.
  15. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    We are a club about the long run, right? Well if we never had this debt then we would never be having the commercial growth surge that we are having as well. The debt is being chipped away at and will be gone within ten years. Then guess what? We've got all that money to piss around with and we aren't accumulating massive debts like City, Madrid, Barca, and Chelsea. We may be ::Insert favorite doom verb here:: but we will be fine, in fact we'll be better than fine. We'll be great.

16. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    There's always a worst-case scenario and you never know what'll happen after Ferguson leaves. United could get into middle of the table mediocracy and that 10 years suddenly become 15 or even 20. And I don't even know if the debt can be repaid in 10 years with optimal conditions, it's anybody's guess, not even the Glazers know that.

17. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    [​IMG]

How subtle.

johno repped this.
  18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

sick of this shit man. started w/ the doom crap when it was first announced and I literally begged folks to wait 3-4 years and see where we were. But noooo, he had to go all die glazer die from the word go and now he's been doing it so long he has no idea how to do anything else. By all accounts of the doom lords, the corpse of United should be relegation fodder in the Championship by now after all our assets were sold off to pay the debt.

barroldinho repped this.
  19. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This, people keep going on about the business oppurtunities we've unlocked via the Glazers (such as the DHL training kits, or all the Asian continent Phone deals).

But without the Glazers these could have one day been tapped and the funds put into the club, not to pay off the purchase of the club. They may as well have never happened for how much its helping us, just now there's no potential

MtP07 repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Wasting money on taxes? Says more about the disgraceful attitude of UK corporates to paying their fair share of tax really.

Re dividends - money spent on repaying bonds and other glazernomics are effectively returns to the shareholders

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think you do have to allow for significant increase in commercial revenue anyway.

Many clubs have managed a big lift in key deals.

The more interesting aspect is that outside of the key deals (shirt/stadium etc) clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal have hit the wall.

To me this says more about there only being room in the market for a small number of global football brands.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    LOL

Matt Scott caught out shilling again. Hilarious 'explanation'.

Did Man Utd not even have a sponsor in 2005 :D

And this next bit comes from the pure spin department.

Arsenal debt gave rise to income because it was spent on an income producing asset.

Glazer debts were not inward investment.

Jesus wept.

I couldn't give a toss about the whole 'bad glazers' article - but media propaganda for them makes me wild.

No it really couldn't be argued actually.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Wow - what an embarrassing piece of crap that is.

Utd top (of course)

Spurs much more 'solvent' (sic) than Arsenal?

Chelsea - a team propped up via 1bn in cash injections and making YoY losses is highly 'solvent' (sic)

If you want to talk about cash (i.e. liquidity) look at how much cash Arsenal have at year end.

160m quid in cash.

Yet spurs is more solvent.

Surely this piece was put together in the Man Utd PR department and faxed over to Scott.

I cannot imagine anyone else bothering to create this pile of turd.

oh dear.

24. Malcolm91

Malcolm91 Member

May 29, 2007
    Brasilia
    Jitty, I always find your posts really interesting, but often find myself lost within your contemplations and reasonings. Im asking you what your general point is? Is it that wed be better off without the Glazers? That we will eventually collapse?

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well in the scheme of things, I think they are amongst the better owners.

Personally I don't agree with the LBO and don't think it is appropriate in football.

But now the genie is out of the bottle - Utd is a global entertainment brand - so what the hey?