Quarterly Quarrel: Financial Discussion Part 4

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A nice £13M loss......god forbid we don't qualify for the CL one year :eek:

2. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What the ******** are you on about?

3. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    calm down james...no need to get all hissy at 6:30 am

Maybe I didn't word my point right, I was trying to say we earned £13m less then last year from the CL. god forbid we didn't qualify for the CL one year ( say after Fergie goes) it's a big chunk of money that we won't be earning.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Glazers aren't at fault for our players failing to beat FC ********ing Basel.

5. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And johno wins.

How the ******** are the Glazers at fault for Phil Jones going berzerk?

6. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    they gave fergie the money to buy that overrated piece of crap.

7. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yes bc in my post I blame the glazer's for that?:rolleyes:

8. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Come on now NM

Your implied train of thought - We miss the CL and the incoming revenue. The Glazers are responsible because they've used millions of pound on the debt, making every cent of revenue even more important. God forbids what happens if we lose that money.

Amirite? :D:D

9. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    dies & dies?

10. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No doubt about that. It's a f**ked up system that lets this occur, but one that the club switched to.

11. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    £525m Borrowed by the Glazers to fund their 2005 takeover of Manchester United in 2005
    £497.5m Interest, fees and bank charges paid out by United to service the Glazers' takeover since then, to 31 December 2011
    £440m Gross debt still owed by Manchester United, who were debt free before the Glazers took over

I for the life of me can't understand anyone who wants to defend these ********ing parasites.

MtP07 repped this.
  12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone could have done it, that's the issue. It could have been the Glazers, it could have been any other set of businessmen, whoever. The system in place is the reason this happened. That's why I see no reason to hate the Glazers. It could have been the Patels, the Johnsons, the whatevers.

13. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    The Venkys.... O_O

14. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You don't want to take the team to India to sell chicken midseason? Party pooper.

15. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Imagine if the 1999 takeover by BSKYB went through?

We'd be investigated by Leveson and have accusations of tapping up surely...

Financially if that went through, I reckon BSKYB would have eventually had to sell up. Or maybe they're glad it didn't happen. They wouldn't be the undisputed king of sports broadcasting now if they took over United.

Regarding the club though, finances would be pretty good right? Forget all this Leveson shit, Rupert Murdoch and especially BSKYB are milking money in.

16. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    The thing is we don't need an owner that helps with finances like Chelsea or City. We just need an owner that doesn't take money out of the club (or at least that doesn't take so much out). Our revenue is more than sufficent to allow us to compete for top players. It's just that a large part of our revenue is being used for something else (i.e. - to pay for Glazer's purchase of the club).

Numquam Moribimur repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We've spent plenty of money on players in the glazer era. We've also won a lot of trophies under the glazers. Of course it would be better if the club didn't use a significant portion of its resources for anything other than football but that is not our reality. our reality is that we still win lots of shit.

On the list of things to bitch about, our financial situation isn't even near the top. I'm more upset about our youth policy, refusal to scout germany and buy a facking midfielder or employ a manager or assistant that knows the first thing about strategy or tactics.

18. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    JMartin's post is a fair assessment though. It is money that isn't going elsewhere - it's going nowhere. Once again, not really the Glazers' fault as much as it is the system.

On a random note - in an article today about Citeh's new deal with Nike, it says that we're hoping for a 600 million pound 10 year kit deal when ours expires in 2015. Surely that's a misprint or an error - is any shirt in the world worth 60 million a year? I know money is only going up in football but that is surely out of reach - I believe ourselves, Barca, and Madrid are all around the 20-25 million a year range. Granted, our deal was set awhile ago - but 60 mill a year seems unreal.

Also, the Chelsea Battersea location looks brilliant.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It does. It looks damned sexy.

20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And they're leaving the chimneys - I mean, that could be iconic if they do it right.

21. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now more than ever, I believe our financial situation is starting to hit us.

SAF may not admit it (just happy to keep going, and be remembered for building from weak foundations), but we're not even trying to compete with the other big clubs. It's becoming ********ing embarrassing.

22. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Not all. When Liverpool can get 25M given where they are currently, I think we will easily break 40M annually, also part of the reason why I think we will sign Kagawa.

As for Glazers, we have gone over this a million times already. There are a lot of other things to bitch about but this is not one. Given our commercial revenue growth, lack of dividend/tax payout and cutting down on unnecessary expenses (women's soccer team/unnecessary staff); financially we aren't any worse off.

We have just made too many signings without any long-term plan (Berba for 31M, Jones for 18, Young for 15) while passing over the real value signings (Vidal, Lucho & co).

Essentially what Liverpool have done but to a lower extent. And then people have the cheek to laugh at Liverpool fans when they whine that they haven't spent enough.

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think we have to keep reminding ourselves that we don't sign stars, we make them. Generally speaking, we don't spend big bucks on the household name player. We spend good money on promising young talent and supplement it with solid veterans from time to time.

24. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But we do spend of quality players from time to time and our time is in need of a bit of quality at CM and AM/LW. Perhaps I am wrong but we perhaps would not need to spend for the next two windows (if everything stays stable) if we get that right this window except for LB.

A window like Nani, Anderson could make us European challengers imo.