Quarterly Quarrel: Financial Discussion Part 4

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I still think we will force a split of tv and other media rights.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well in terms of the difficulties - look at the Torres purchase

This causes not only 55m to be spent on Torres, but also 35m on Carroll for a 90m turnover on 2 players

So in some respects inflated deal flow starts to count double because of the knock ons.

However to me this represents the true state of the market.

To me it all starts to come back to a creeping lack of competitiveness.

Surely it cannot be a workable long term solution to be paying 20m or more for the Downings and Youngs when only a few years ago that money was buying the hottest european talent.

3. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Yup.

The thing is though, what is going to be the straw that break the camel's back? What is going to drive prices back down?

Or are we going to have runaway hyper (transfer) inflation (£100m, £200m transfers :eek:)?

4. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If the revenue generated by the product itself (the digital media rights, tv revenue, etc) - continues to rise, as we all continue to think it will, then why would transfers stop continuing to rise? Everything I believe will stabilize but at higher levels.

5. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Higher revenues would drive up wages, yes, and transfers, yes, but to the ridiculous levels we see? Nah.

What we have now is totally unnatural and is a byproduct of artificial clubs artificially inflating prices by flooding the market with (Russian and Arab) money.

6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There's no doubt that the rise in wages and transfer fees are increasing at a faster rate than the revenues. I think thought that things will have to stabilize.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Truth is that we don't know what will happen. Digital rights will undoubtedly lead to some of the big clubs getting increased revenues but it may act as means of restoring balance in some small way because clubs that do it well or in the past couldn't get their product to their fans as readily as the big boys may be able to do so in the future.

The potential to develop cult followings or rather to monetize them can be both a blessing and a curse. Undoubtedly if there is an upside, some clubs will misjudge it and get hurt, but overall, I think there is a chance for the clubs that play attractive compelling football to benefit, regardless of their status as big, medium or small clubs.

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Was it though?

Go back to 2004-5 and you had Chelsea signing the likes of Damien Duff and SWP for £17 and £21m in absolute prices.

The likes of Downing and Young are proven PL players who have been successful for a number of years. At the same time they are still relatively young. There is always a premium to pay for people like that.

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Just to come in here again, I also think that the prices reflect a number of changes that have taken place in recent years.

Firstly, exchange rates have moved badly against sterling. In 2007 the FX rate on the Euro-Sterling was roughly 1.5. Now it's roughly 1.2 and has only bounced back from a position of near parity following the ongoing sovereign debt crisis in Europe.

For instance, when Torres joined Liverpool in 2007 for c. £20m, that would now be roughly £26m, just taking the movement in FX rates into account.

Then you need to add in the ongoing inflation and growth in revenues that has taken place.

In 2007 United had a turnover of £210m. In 2011 it was £331m. That's over a 50% increase.

So then just taking that into consideration Torres today should cost £39m. In that light, Ashley Young at £17m doesn't look bad to me.

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes great points.

Personally I attribute it to 3 factors.

1. Exchange rate - this is an immediate loss of competitiveness.

2. Inflation not related to performance/turnover. City jumping in with huge salaries/transfers for all sorts of players causes problems because it is not directly related to talent or increased revenue. Good examples are Adebayor and Nasri

3. Accurate pricing in Europe. It no longer seems possible to snap up top european players with any arbitrage - they are accurately marked to market.

Personally I think fergus is right when he says there is no value in the market.

What he really means is that everything is scouted out now, and everyone really has the same information.

Because england is not a top talent producer, this gives the league a problem.

11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    There are another two points which I neglated to mention.

1. Increase in the top tax rate from 40% to 50%. When trying to attract foreign based players they are only interested in their net salary.

England has much higher tax rates in place for top earners.

2. The increasing financial power of some emerging nations. Brazil now has the financial backing to retain their top young players for far longer than before. Russia and Ukraine are now viable destinations for quality players.

I personally disagree on the point of there being no value in the market.

I do though think that a number of clubs have made life difficult for themselves by proving to be mugs in the market previously (Chelsea and City).

There is still value out there. Reus went for about £16m in January, Toulalan for £10m in the summer, Steklenberg for £5m, Kjaer has an option of about £9m, Debuchy I'm sure could be available at the right price (maybe £8m or so).

Udinese have demonstrated that it is possible to perform on a budget if you scout properly.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Agree on both.

Well of course there are still opportunities - but personally I think the opportunity to get bargains no longer really exists for the top teams.

Everyone has the same info, and the deals are distorted by agency.

Hence the need to run off to Mexico or buy kids where you can leverage value added better

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think the problem for the top teams is that there is very limited patience in respect of bringing through younger players or players taking time to settle. That means that people have to hit the ground running, which in turn means they need proven pedigree.

There's no point in taking a punt on a young player if you are likely to be out of a job in a year's time when he fails.

That in turn reduces the pool of players to select from and drives up the price.

There are still some remarkable anomalies though out there. For instance Real Madrid can sign Ronaldo for £80m, Kaka for £56m, but then are able to snap up Sahin for £5m (I know he had a release clause) and Oezil for £13m or so.

14. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What comme said, its the risk factor top teams want to eliminate. A 60 m signing doesnt mean a sure shot but you pay for pedigree and development. At times if top teams could just take risks, they could be rewarded.

15. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Very good points. Although the bottom line really, is team's have to get their turnover in line with costs in terms of a percentage.

Otherwise, they will always be chasing the dragon and never able to catch up.

The problem is, really, there is only so much space at the top for the truly dominant global teams in revenue terms.

I`m not sure the game can support more than 4 or 5 at the most, truly global teams who monetize that advantage.

16. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jelly and ice cream when glazer _______

strippers and whores when glazer___________

LUHG

;)

17. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wishing somebody to be dead is not cool NM....

18. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  19. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since 2005, Man United's net spend on players has been approx £12m less than Chelsea's net spend on managers.

20. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Strong rumors going around we are looking at bringing the IPO back to life in the next few months.

I expect the mainstream media to pick up on this soon.

21. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Leveraged buy-outs don't always go this well. Are the Glazers' geniuses? Or is this just luck?

22. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    Any other manager but SAF, and we'd have been Leeds Mk2...

23. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Possibly, but the Glazers didn't buy Leeds.

24. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  25. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Add another 2M for Europa.