Quakes stadium construction thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Earthshaker, Feb 6, 2013.

1. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I am NEVER getting drunk on an away day there.

2. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard this story before...

Capt. Socceroo and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say "whore out their stadium," I say "give people other than my team's ticket buyers the opportunity to help pay for the stadium."

Gamecock14, Oobers and FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't finish the sentence, "...and reduce my minimum necessary ticket price"

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hachiko repped this.
  6. Vocalz

Vocalz ManUtd! SLB! Pt!

Dec 31, 2005
    California
    Pay what? Frisco owns that shitshow excuse for a stadium ( I'd seriously rather watch you guys play at the cotton bowl - that's how much I dislike that pizza box heater ), I thought you guys only accepted the move out to that boondock suburb because they paid for the whole stadium? Sucks they didn't even have the ********ing decency to put a roof on a stadium with a league that plays in summer with constant 100-110 degree heat.

You guys got a raw ********ing deal imo, Frisco saw it as a way to build a nicer high school stadium and you guys would pay rent.

7. Vocalz

Vocalz ManUtd! SLB! Pt!

Dec 31, 2005
    California
    ^ lol that may have been a bit much to call it a shitshow now that I read back through that post was pretty abrasive. Guess I shouldn't post after working an all nighter.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the city owns the stadium, so HSG pays not one dime of property tax on it.

If by "the whole stadium," you mean "two-thirds of the stadium," yes, they paid for the whole stadium. And hell, that's not even correct. Those two thirds were paid partially by the city, partially by the county, and partially by the school district. (And let me just marvel for a moment at a fan of a team playing in the office park capital of North America calling out another city as a "boondock suburb.")

Now, I'm guessing that given your earlier use of "they," you are referring to the City of Frisco, which would be incorrect. The stadium was designed and built by Hunt Sports Group.

...except for the small issue that it's never "constant 100-110 degree heat" when FCD plays the vast majority of their games, at night. I know, I know, they've only been doing this for 18 years, and I know that the Pony Express has been slow getting to NoCal, so I'll forgive your ignorance about this small detail. Of course, you're perfectly welcome to argue the shade benefits of a roof for night games.

So wait... let me get this straight... the City of Dallas was charging HSG actual-factual rent to use the Cotton Bowl, and giving them nothing from the concessions revenues, nothing from the parking revenues, nothing from luxury suite sales (never mind that there are no such suites at the Cotton Bowl), while HSG is paying only $100,000 into a stadium-maintenance fund which directly pays for stadium maintenance (and nothing else), and gets EVERY SINGLE DIME from parking, concessions, luxury suite sales, and everything else for EVERY event at the stadium complex, and you're calling that a raw deal?

Remind me not to let you manage my money.

Well, you should also refrain from posting if you're going to post completely clueless drivel that is almost completely untouched by the facts.

9. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm rather a big fan of the multi-purpose venues myself. A big empty building is just a waste of space. Obviously, as a homeowner nearby, I'd probably prefer not to have the X-Games or a tractor pull or a concert every night. Those types of events really are loud. But the local high school soccer or football games would be fine, as would the occasional art show or other quiet event.

That being said, if you live next to the airport, what are you complaining about really? I live three or four kilometers from a small private airport with zero commercial traffic, and even the little single-prop jobs are loud as they fly over the house. Far louder than a high school football game two or three blocks away would be, for sure.

If the Quakes can make the financials work out without the extra events, though, more power to 'em.

And if Dallas can spend some of those extra dollars on players, more power to them, too. (Seriously, FCD needs to win an MLS Cup.)

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1336 Earthshaker, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Noise from the airport is really not much of an issue for the neighborhoods near the Quakes stadium. They don't lie underneath any flight paths, but, are off to the side. In addition it's the end of the airport where planes for the vast majority of the time are coming into land, not takeoff.
    The neighborhoods adjacent to the nearby 49ers new stadium are much more impacted by the noise, since they are nearly underneath the usual takeoff flight path.

12. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're still getting noise from the airport, no matter which side of it you live on. My point, though, was that the noise from an MLS-sized stadium is going to be comparable, or even less, than what you're already getting from the airport.

13. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, some people are just going to find a reason to complain, even if it doesn't make sense.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1339 falvo, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Its not that bad. I mean its kind of loud depending on the landings and the time of the day or whichever way the wind is blowing but its not as bad as you would think. I was down there on Coleman Ave & Newhall (where the stadium is) just yesterday during the morning rush hour traffic as well as the after Easter busy flight landings and I didn't hear that much noise. I remember there was just as much noise (if not more) during games down on SJSU South Campus (where the old Clash/Quakes played at) Spartan Stadium was with the planes coming in for a landing as they were right adjacent to the stadium. I think the (airport) noise thing is exaggerated.

15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The noise from the stadium on game day will be much more noticeable than airport noise to the residential areas around the stadium, unless it is one of the rare days when weather conditions require takeoffs to the south.

16. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has nothing to do with the landings, rather the takeoffs, and most of those occur to the north. Planes landing are touching down past the stadium site and the the thrust reversers aren't applied until they are well past that point. Traffic on Coleman avenue create as much noise as the plane landings do.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to pony on to @ElJefe 's takedown. Because of it's particular location on the planet, said roof that you want to shade the spectators during afternoon gametimes would be fiscally unwise to construct since the roof deck would need to extend at least 60% across the width of the field to provide that shade to the east stands, requiring a ridiculously expensive and eccentric structural system for a problem that is easily alleviated by changing the game times to 7:30 PM local.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The only time I've seen the landings reversed was in bad weather which is rare. Also, there won't be that much traffic on Coleman during games. Especially if there are mostly weekend dates. I agree that a lot of people are making up too many excuses to complain.

19. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
  20. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
  21. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neuwerld and Quakesss repped this.
  22. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Zoti

Zoti Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brooklyn
    First you say roofs don't amplify sound and now you say roofs don't keep out the sun. What have roofs ever done to you that you hate 'em so much?

joehooligan0303 and fuzzx repped this.
  25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do keep out the sun, unless they use translucent or transparent panels. The point being, FCD researched a roof and based on the solar angles during the playing season for the selected site, adding a roof that may add 30% to the cost of the stadium, just to please unqualified stadium architecture critics, made much less sense than switching game times to 7:30 from June through August.

KCFutbol, sitruc, fuzzx and 1 other person repped this.