Quakes stadium construction thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Earthshaker, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Presidents Day, or more accurately, the honoring of George Washington's Birthday, (there is no such thing as Presidents Day) was on February 18th.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Actually several states including Texas in the state code recognize it as Presidents' Day even while the federal holiday is George Washington's Birthday.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was being facetious!

4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So any idea what's happening tomorrow?

5. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009
    My watch says it's the 26th. Where's the construction cam?:cool:

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that's old...

I really want this to be real :(

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that the older rendering seemingly gets right is that, according to Devcon Construction's Current Projects page, there'll be a separate building (either attached to the stadium on its west side or closely adjacent to it) that "consists of office space, team lockers and showers, coach and referee facilities, ticketing office, and physical therapy/training areas."

-G

8. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    wait. are you saying there is a possibility that the locker room/showers/coach/ref facilities might NOT be attached to the stadium? like they'll have to talk a wander thru the parking lot to get to the stadium to start the game?

i still can't see in any rendering past the first iteration where the facade/front building is? most stadiums have some structure that is part of the stadium that acts as the main entrance, ticketing area, team store and facade of the stadium. in those renderings it just looks like stands with no such attached out building?

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be like Colorado, where all of those things are in a building that stands separately from the rest of the stadium structure but exits directly onto the field.

redinthemorning repped this.
  10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never go by the renderings. This is where Architect's tell some of our soft little lies...

redinthemorning repped this.
  11. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    okay. never been to DSG but are you talking about the building at the north end of the stadium behind the goal? because i'd consider that the sort of "outbuilding" i am talking about plus DSG seems to have a small entrance building on the south side and a large building attached on the west side.

i don't see any of that stuff in the SJE renderings ... but then as Mr Warmth says it might just be laziness or incomplete rendering.

12. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd make a crappy CIA analyst. :)

You can see it, partially, through the mesh of the roof, peeking out around the side of the stadium. You can also see the shadow it casts.

Zoom in and look harder.

[​IMG]

13. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    that is the edge of the stand facing and roof support and the shadow is of the stand/roof. that is not a building or built out area.

14. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be right next to the stadium. If you look at the two renderings above, on the side profile one it is the white and brownish structure in the foreground. On the aerial view the building will be between the stands on the right and the row of trees just to the right of that, with just the concourse between stadium and building. One comment that was made to the FO was that they need to either have a tunnel from below, or some type of walkway above to bring the players from the locker to the field. Otherwise, they will need to block off the concourse to allow passage.

edit, ok you beat me to it FUAEG.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that has the locker rooms, training center for the Rapids, referee's locker rooms, player parking behind it, and bus access for visiting teams.

That's the Cantina

That's the team offices, press box, and suites.

16. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, that's where it is going to be, trust us, we both have the Planned Development permit designs.;)

17. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    no. i understand that in any stadium there is a "concourse" .... the area defined by under the stands and the wall that surrounds the stadium and the roof.

in the "newest" rendering the brown meshy stuff just replaces the glass part with the players on it ... it is a wall that goes around the stadium and meets the stands as they angle back and where the roof meets too creating a concourse.

what i am talking about is that most stadiums have a built out area, added on building area that is SEPARATE from the concourse area (the area right under the stands) that acts as variously offices, main entrance/ticketing area, team store etc.

without such an outbuilding(s) the stadium looks like a cheap high school stadium with just stands and concourse with all facilities contained therein.

[​IMG]

since DSG was brought up i found a rendering/model of it and i am talking about the building/outbuildings that are at both ends and on the near side ... see the difference?

18. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look again my friend. Take your time. Make sure you zoom in. Easier to see on the original, not on my annotated version.

Look at the shadows the palm trees cast. Shadows always fall in the same direction.
    Look through the roof mesh you can see the building obscure the grass squares with the palm trees. The building runs the less the half the length of the building on that side.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  19. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

ah. my bad. well it is pretty much invisible from that angle and it must be pretty low profile and sparse but i get it you are saying there is a bit of an outcropped building along that long side hidden facing the trees.

okay. well ... it still isn't that fancy but i guess at least it has it tho i can't really see it.

i do think i see something in that "overhead" view that just shows basic outlines tho .. okay thanks for clearing it up.

20. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

yeah. i see it on the oldest rendering, the side/landscape one ... i just thought it was gone from the other renderings. but i guess they just made renderings that hide it by having that side invisible so the open end of the stadium is at the bottom of the rendering.

hey, any stadium is better than no stadium i am just thinking it looks pretty bare bones and sparse ... i mean i've seen more elabourate high school football stadiums in TX. :)

21. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Eh. To my eyes, less is more. I like this stadium design for San Jose.

It's so much better than, for example, this "elaborate" mess of a stadium facade:
    [​IMG]

22. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how's the weather in SJ today?

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's currently sunny (albeit a bit windy) at 61°F/16°C.

-G

24. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009

It has come to this?

Bubba1971 repped this.
  25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Is this thing actually gonna happen, or should I just watch Finding Bigfoot to get my laughs?