Quakes stadium construction thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Earthshaker, Feb 6, 2013.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  2. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm...that seems to be the same type of measuring that I use when I tell my wife, "Get ready for ten inches, baby!"

Etienne_72772 repped this.
  3. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Unfortunately, that's just for Wolff's kitchen remodel.

AndyMead repped this.
  4. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm...I've never met your wife have I? ;)

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of 19, we'll soon have:

Set (SSS or primary tenant with grass) = 13. Columbus, LAG, Dallas, Chicago, Colorado, Toronto, Salt Lake, Philly, New York, Kansas City, Houston, Montreal, San Jose. Some could be in better locations, but a SSS with grass is a good enough.

Nearly Set = 2. Portland, Seattle. Great locals. Great attendance. Field turf the only issue.

Needs some work: Chivas (needs home of their own), Vancouver, NE, DC. DC being the most pressing.

6. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i am pretty sure that Vancouver falls into the same category as Seattle. both are not SSS but both are well designed for handling the soccer capacity for the MLS team. and along with Portland and Seattle, BC Place is in an excellent downtown location. they do have field turf. but they've signed a 1o year lease so putting them in the Needs Work category is disingenuous as they are in no way in the same or similar situation to NER or DCU or CHV.

Unak78, nlsanand, Kejsare and 3 others repped this.
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    1) Why?
    2) What's wrong with where they're playing?
    3) No different than the situation with SEA
    4) I agree

Unak78 repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because this time, despite all the historical evidence to the contrary, "build it and they will come" will work.

Or at least, that's the belief of a number prolific BigSoccer posters.

Oobers repped this.
  9. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    You mean, like Sporting KC?

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because Sporting KC didn't just "build it and they came" they fundamentally changed how they ran the team. In Sporting KC's case its because they changed owners, but as we've seen in Dallas and Colorado, building a stadium didn't help much until those FO's started changing how they ran the team. Building a new home for the Revs won't help significantly until the Revs change the way they run the team.

GVPATS77, Oobers, Unak78 and 5 others repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What about in San Jose? Will the stadium alone be transformative or does management need an attitude adjustment?

Honest question.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I don't know. San Jose is such an odd market with the E-Quakes leaving, returning, playing in a small stadium they're doing a pretty good job of selling out, etc. that its hard to know what's going to happen.

13. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh.

FIFA, for all their faults, finds nothing wrong with the three surfaces in the Northwest for professional competitions. They don't even mind if a World Cup Final Round is played on it. While none have been played on it, FIFA and UEFA have given the green light if they have the two-star rating.

Unak78 repped this.
  14. patilluky

patilluky Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Getafe spain
    Club:
    Getafe CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Someone you know date of completion of construction of the stadium approximately?

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the answer to your question is March or April of 2014.

patilluky repped this.
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'll be impressed if it is that fast. Our stadium here in Houston was quick but it was still 15 months from when they actually started construction. OK, maybe April. If they really start in February. I guess that would just be a month or so quicker than in Houston.

17. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

the last renderings i saw showed the stadium only having 3 stands and one open end ... so that might save some time.

18. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Vancouver's stadium is not that bad. It's on transit. It's basically paid for by the government (reducing costs to the club). It's pretty as hell. I's modern. Only problem is the grass. I'd call it "nearly set".

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007

My thoughts on NE are:

- Building a new stadium does not imply a fundamental change in the way team is run.

- A fundamental change in the way team is run implies building a new stadium.

20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I may have a lot to do with who's doing the construction also, we're using these guys http://www.devcon-const.com/ and they don't lack for resources or labor.

• San Jose Earthquakes - MLS Soccer Stadium, San Jose: Development of a 14.5 acre site to accommodate an 18,000 seat Major League Soccer stadium with a 24,000 SF team office building. The stadium consists of luxury suites, press box, and concessions, and features a steel structure with aluminum decking, CMU concourse buildings, metal panels, metal screening and a partial canopy. The office building, which is a steel structure with glass, metal panel and CMU skin, consists of office space, team lockers and showers, coach and referee facilities, ticketing office, and physical therapy/training areas.

21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Does having a steel structure mean it's going to be exposed looking like Crew stadium?

22. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think it would be the reverse actually. A fundamental change in the way that the team is run could go in many directions, including even negative ones, if that's possible. However, it doesn't appear that a stadium would get built w/o a fundamental change in the way that the team is run, or certainly a change in the amount of risk / investment that the ownership / management is willing to make.

23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Is that implying that the companies that built other MLS stadiums lacked in resources or labor? Manhattan Construction that built BBVA did so after building Jerry World in Dallas among other things. I don't think they lacked for resources or labor. And it still took about 15 months.

This source lists Devcon as the 133rd largest construction company while Manhattan was 39th last year.

http://enr.construction.com/toplists/contractors/A-Z.asp

Allez RSL repped this.
  24. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Since you two are using a contranym (imply) it is possible you mean the same thing.

25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is supposed to be some type of exterior skin or mesh. At one time the team actually asked fans for suggestions on what materials to make it out of.

Unak78 and profiled repped this.