Puma Thread [2] - all pictures, boots, questions here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayMike-DK

JayMike-DK Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    First of all; Yes, we did indeed shoot the episode on AG with an FG boot. It was the only way, and you shouldn't do everything you see on TV ;) Haha. We're looking into an AG/FG/SG episode, but it's not something coming up in the near future I'm afraid. Too much other stuff to review.

Well the AG sole plate is quite different compared to the FG plate, as it doesn't feature the GSF tech which means that it loses a bit of the flex in the forefoot, hence minimizing the effect of the whole "moving with the foot" concept. It's a shame, but it still flexes better compared to the Nitrocharge AG for instance.

Well the AccuFoam does give you a bit more padded feel on the ball, but it's not like the Dampening Pods on the Maestri II - not at all. It's a bit more padded, but the transition between the pods and the upper is really smooth, so they don't feel that bulky. I'd have removed the AccuFoam pods on the outside of the boot, as I mostly use that area to dribble with and don't need that much of a plain striking surface - so why not scrap them there and give us a nice, close feel on the ball? Your move, PUMA.

Linguistics repped this.
  2. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    in singapore, theyve started selling the blackout leather evopowers!

serginhobertholi repped this.
  3. AdidasPredatorMANIAC

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Any photos?

4. leetaebok

leetaebok Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]
    anyone have any idea if these HG versions perform well on artificial surfaces? :)

jayc23 repped this.
  5. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    On @jayc23 behalf -

[​IMG]

Zizou15, jayc23 and serginhobertholi repped this.
  6. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I'm even more impressed now, I barely know of any girls in Singapore who play football haha! Thanks a lot. I'm currently studying in USA so haven't had a chance to go down to the shop and take some pics of the blackout evopowers.

vanjory repped this.
  7. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    surprised not many on here have the evopower... the more i see them the more I want a pair

rooster repped this.
  8. AdidasPredatorMANIAC

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I got a pair...

9. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    waiting for the leather ones...

talking about Puma... did you guys see the EVOSpeed 2.2 Graphic on soccer.com?

10. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So I've noticed that since the evopower release, there have been very few Puma athletes wearing the King. Now it makes sense from a marketing of the evopower but I guess they no longer are try to support the king? I tried the current king and an found it to decent. LOVED the outsole and studs. Didn't care for the fit though. Just felt a bit too wide and like my foot wasn't quite as secure as I would have liked from a "heritage" release. However I did get pair if evospeed 1.2 and love them. Great fit, great comfort, great outsole. Hopefully the next kings will continue to improve. Would love to see the current outsole return on the next king

11. rabbitTeeth

rabbitTeeth Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Im 30 this year and have recently picked up playing casual soccer with some collegues on Sundays and have no soccer experience/equipment at all. We play on a natural grass field with lots of dead leafs. Currently i am using some converse all star canvas street shoes and some low cut fasion ankle socks. lol.

I have noticed the other peeps are using shoes/boots that look amazing. I want to look the part and have been researching on this subject recently. I was actually shocked at the variaty of these shoes at first, i understand that there are leather and then there are synthetics, which are then divded up into different types of leathers and syntetics, which again are divided into different levels/grades of boots. I decided to narrow my search to a leather boot, which most peeps here agree that, leather is the more comfortable option.

I then stumbled onto prodirectsoccer and set my focus on the discount section and this current boot has caught my eye, the "evospeed 1 k leather" boot, which was originally priced at 140 pounds, now selling at 40 pounds, plus it looks good too! Before i took the plunge i decided to do some research on this forum. There are mixed views on this boot, some loved it, some hated it, and then there was the photo of the boot which had the top split from the bottom and i was like, er, does this happen to every boot? Or is it because of this issue that the boot is selling for so cheap.

Any advice on whether to get this boot? Or would there be any other recommendation or advice.

12. FootySpy

FootySpy Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A pair of Evospeed 1 K for 40 pounds is a good deal, but they'll be useless if you get the wrong size or they don't fit you well. If there's a soccer shop near you I highly recommend you visit and try on some cleats before you buy them. The employees there should be able to help you learn about proper fit and sizing, which will really help your game as you start out.
    Also, don't play on a leaf covered grass field in hightop Converse, you'll break your bloody ankles!

13. rabbitTeeth

rabbitTeeth Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Footyspy thanks for your insightful input, i have seen videos on youtube regarding sizing and the characters seemed to like wearing their boots to the tightest fit possible, with their toes right at the end of their shoes. This is relatively new to me as i wear my shoes rather comfortably, with some wiggle room in the toe area. Any advice on how the fit should be?

14. GrassRouteOne

GrassRouteOne Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The evoSPEED 1 is a pretty tight-fitting boot, so as FootySpy says, it's well worth trying them out first.

Pro's will generally wear their boots as tight as possible for a couple of reasons;

- The fit has to be 'one-to-one' for a lot of players; if you're taking a decisive penalty in the World Cup or whatever, you can't afford your boots to be a little too big and scraping your toes along the ground

- Pro's also get the benefit of a completely bespoke boot in a lot of cases. They can get boots in a size 9-and-three-quarters if that's what they need, and they're hand-built around 'lasts' in the shape of their feet.

The toe-split is probably a rare occurrence; if you stick to using them on natural grass fields, you should be pretty golden.

Any more Q's don't hesitate to ask on here or drop me a PM if it's any easier for you!

15. rabbitTeeth

rabbitTeeth Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Thanks GrassRouteOne on the information you have provided me with, interesting to know that the pros actually have bespoked boots and may not be the same as the models massproduced for the general market. I have been reading a few threads from start to end on this board. I will be going to a local sports shop soon armed with the new information i have gathered from here. Will let you guys know on what i end up with. Cheers mate!

16. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What's going on with the King? Saw the SL's for £49.99! in loads of sizes, good price.

Puma just going to let them sell because they are the puma king's? or are they going to redesign/stop making them?

17. rabbitTeeth

rabbitTeeth Member

Mar 18, 2014
    #843 rabbitTeeth, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    An update on my pervious posts.
    I went to a local soccer shop to enquire about the evospeed 1 k, however the saleperson informed me those were an older model and did not have my size in stock. The newer evospeed model was a bit out of my budjet.
    Then, he recommended me these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Surprised that in the end i got a shoe that is 1.5 size down from my normal street shoes, due to advice from the salesperson.
    Have used these 2 times since. Im very surprised at how different soccer boots feels compared to normal street shoes. Firstly i got very painful blisters at the back of my heel, also i am getting heat spots? on the sole of my foot halfway throughout games. Is this normal and all i have to do is to adapt to wearing soccer shoes, i really hope so because i was expecting a much more comfortable experience.

18. kelani9

kelani9 Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    After gaining some experience, always trust how you feel about the fit and forget the salesman. These kings might be too small. It also depends on what socks you're wearing and what the condition of the surface is like. Is the ground dry and hard as a brick? In that case those boots will give you to much stud pressure. Hard ground boots would be the better option. Also, the bottom of your feet will callus a bit and you'll get less heat spots with time.
    Enjoy getting into the best sport in the world.

19. pancreas

pancreas Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    How will the studs on the Evospeed 1.2 perform on turf? Just bought a pair for a little less than 40$ xD

20. GrassRouteOne

GrassRouteOne Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    They're good, if a little long on an artificial surface.

The real problem is the toe; you're going to get abrasion on the toe right where the upper meets the soleplate, and the upper will start wearing through.

If you're using them on AG, get a little shoe-goo - or heck some tape or something - and save that upper!

pancreas repped this.
  21. pancreas

pancreas Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Thank you! I'll probably give them to a friend, did not like the original evospeed but I couldn't resist when they were so cheap ;)

22. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ABCD0011.jpg

Just accidentally came across this online when I was trying to find out an exact name for one of the boots. Those were the good old days. That Olympian blue is still one of the best blue boots I've ever seen!

appleCORR

kelani9, b0sk1 and kogge repped this.
  23. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You fell in Seydou Keita's closet? ;)

GrassRouteOne repped this.
  24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the v1.06 is the last Puma release that stood out as a unique identity boot for them. Since then they seem to be all over the place, with nothing really sticking as anything that's undeniably their own.

appleCORR7 repped this.