PSV Eindhoven 2013/2014- Cocu returns us to glory

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Aztattooedsean777, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    My obvserations is that Park should be playing CM because Wijnaldum sometimes is clueless and it can help Maher attack more. Maher showed talent and flashes of brilliance but like any other young player he needs to play 2-3 years of consistent Top Level football to be a Top Player.

Willems was absolute sh** IMO. O Improvement from Euro. Still gets beaten every single time. 0 Idea about defensive positioning, keeps elbowing the opposition and bad crosses.

Brenet over the course of 2 games was very promising. Time and again he was beaten he was very quick, good with the ball and has a very good cross. Let him play 1-2 years consistently, he is a good prospect.

Rekik started well the 1st match and I had high hopes but he showed huge nerves throughout the 2 games. He was IMO pretty bad and I had higher expectations. But I am glad he got exposed a bit for his inexperience because this will be a huge learning experience for him. I hope he gets to play Good Teams in EL as he has talent.

Schaars I thought was good. He is slow and not that great defensively but he is a good anchor who showed godo leadership and guidance for a bunch of kids.

Bruma I thought was very good. This is because he is physically not good enough for a defender. He is slow and can be bullied. However he fought those attributes with good tackles and heart. I doubt he can be a World Class Defender every but if he gets 2-3 years of playing time he can be a Dependable Defender is paired with a really fast and strong defender.

Depay was a huge dissapointment. I see him as Elia 2. All show 0 Output. I see so much talent not coming to fruition. IMO Bakkali and Narsingh should start with Locadia and guys like Matavz and Depay should be subs till he gets his decision making right. A game is not about 2 Fancy Turn-Overs/Dribbles.

I see huge scope in the squad and I hope PSV has some good young LB coming through because Willems should be made a LW/CM as early as possible because he is the worst defender I have ever seen

2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hendrix starts today for PSV. Curious how he will do.

3. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm looking forward to him as well.
    Hendrix is a good talent. A very smart defender..

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Zero goals against Cambuur? What's going on in Eindhoven?

5. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Cambuur parked the bus, PSV struggled to create chances. PSV front men were out of ideas, culminated by Toivonen missed a glorious tap-in opportunity. Maher has a lot of growing up to do. He was very invisible, could not impose himself to the game -- disappointed display by his standard. The only positive from PSV's point of view was perhaps a pretty successful debut of Jorit Hendrix. Confident fella. Composed, good on the ball, able to bring the ball forward and pass vertically. Defensively he wasn't tested a whole lot. Bright future ahead of him!

6. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cambuur parked the bus? More like the other way around.

aveslacker repped this.
  7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #57 DRB300, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    I forgot to touch on this. This is pretty funny.

You should watch back the 0-1 for Milan, the 2-0 for Milan at San Siro and the 3-0. With all goals either Brenet was entirely to blame or in the best case partly to blame.

• With the first goal he let SAS completely go past him, being busy ball watching. No clue of where his opponent was or moved towards.
    • With the 2-0 Matavz lost a header duel during the corner and instead of keeping close to Balotelli (his man) he moved forward ball watching again so that Balo could easily tap in.
    • With the third goal he could not even put in a simple tackle to block the shot.

He headed balls to Zoet that where too short and provided another chance for SAS.

His last game against Cambuur he was not only horrible defensively but on ball and attacking as well. He was amazingly bad.

Willems was actually standing his ground. I disagree he is not making improvements. Do you look at his Eredivisie games? Willems is one of the best players at PSV this season. He is staying more back, picking his moments to attack. He is winning more head to head duels. To say he is not improving is wrong again.

TFC Ajax repped this.
  8. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I did not deny Brenet is to be blamed for the goals

But ultimately Brenet has ES

Willems has none. Boateng was a CM/CAM who drifted down the middle. He was beaten time and again by Abate. And the worst bit he was clueless and elbowed Abate like he did with Muller at the Euros.

He has 0 Defensive Positioning and Defensive Skills. Atleast with Brenet he tried to fight ES clean

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #59 DRB300, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    Have you ever played the game yourself? Not having a man is often more difficult than none. I hated it when my man drifted in an out of my area or swapped all the time with others, or worse: Not even swapping but staying away. That constant second guessing took away from my concentration and overall game.

Willems job was not easy.

The elbow I did not see and is not a point to be mixed if we talk about quality. We can discuss Nigel and the broken legs he caused, but also with him we have to separate that aspect from his football quality's. Willems has gusto, temper and gets into confrontations at times, but I have not seen much dirty play from him over the past 1.5/2 years.

If you talk about 0 defensive positioning, why don't you make a screen shot of what bothers you so much and make this discussion interesting? He does win more an more duels if you watch Eredivisie and I feel you overstate the way he got passed by against Milan over 180 minutes. I have seen enough good interceptions and interventions.

Bottemline is that if somebody who did not saw the 2 games and read your post, he would think Willems was far worse than Brenet. Brenet was a walking disaster defensively (good on the ball) and bringing offensive treat. For me he was a constant worry though. With Willems I felt much more secure. Since when is leaving out responsibility for conceded goals become oke when assessing defenders? For me it was weird to read such a contrasting assessment about both players.

Keep in mind next time you call Brenet a good prospect, that he is older than Willems.

10. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You wont understand till the Lovey Dovey Glasses for Brenet would not be opened. Brenet played against ES a much harder opponent and had guys like Urby up for support.

Willems played against a 1 Man Abate who is a FB and had a lot of support and could not jack sh**.

He was constantly elbowing like he was elbowing Muller. He was beaten time and again. He couldnt stop a damn cross and he looked clueless with every turn Abate made

But you cant see any of it because you are in love with him.

And Brenet's basics are better than Willems.

ES would have destroyed Willems if he was playing RW

11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The way you throw in some weird assumptions and seek to coarsen the discussion tells me you don't have played the game yourself. Having no direct opponent is not perse easier. Why was there a confrontation between him an Balotelli? Because he drifted to the side at times and Willems had to step in. Sometimes we saw Boateng move more wide again and he had to challenge him. Willems had to read the game all the time, with a direct opponent things are much more clear and you can focus on him throughout the game. Abate was often covered by Depay by the way. Remember the first goal in Eindhoven? That was Depay losing the ball to Abate and those two got into confrontations more often when Abate attacked. I have not seen Willems being beaten all the time, I do remember a few crosses making it and indeed getting past Willems. However I have also seen very good interventions from Willems and so I disagree with the overall impression you try to paint.

Again, this elbowing story is blown out of proportion. Now it's even becoming borderline smearing of the player as he not a dirty player. Constant elbowing? Surely it would have been picked up by the ref 1 time? It did not stood out to me. Also the way you stipulate this it's almost like you takes Abate's side in this instead of Willems. Have you seen Balotelli going to the ground like there was no tomorrow? What about that? No word. Willems stood up against him. This memory of Muller being elbowed all the time. There was a yellow card for Willems, maybe something happened there, but what's up with the tone of indignation about that event? No German NT fan brings this up all the time, yet a year after you still seem to be outraged about it (oh and please stop pretending being a Dutch NT fan when you love your Germans much more). First of all Willems was a baby back then thrown in front of the lions (uncontrolled movements to save yourself from failing in front of the big boys happen) and with a Netherlands Germany game things always used to happen. Compared to the past it was a clean game (maybe it even starts to become too clean and passionless). If you would have been a very ethical person I would understand bringing up this every time in the discussion, but you are not.

SES is not particularly fast or tricky. He is smart and knows how to finish (though he missed a few big chances). I actually think Willems would have done pretty good against him. Ballotelli seemed to be bothered at times when Willems dealt with him. I kind of like Willems with bigger games. His task is more to keep concentration when playing the smaller teams. Not becoming casual. I also like him to defend tight more often.

I restate that Brenet made very serious errors and that I do not understand the stark contrast when you discuss both players. If you like to bash on Willems for defensive weaknesses and errors, then leaving out obvious blunders from Brenet is a bit weird.

12. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011

I dont even want to go into the filth and some of the points you have raised. The only issue is Willems is a disgrace which is my reason.

It's obvious you have a man crush of Willems. I don't really give a shit what Germans think or Balotelli dives. Any man not a retard would FIRST focus on getting his house on order than his opponents.

My concern isnt even the fact that Willems is the worst of all crossers or the fact that he can never put up respectable defensive opposition

It is about having being beaten time and again by a RB despite having somewhat support from Depay.

Neither did Willems defend tight or Balotelli give a shit but the fact is Willems was embarassed and humiliated time and again by decent opposition

What should I have against Willems??

Nothing.

Just the fact that defensively he is the worst LB I have ever seen in the last 20 years.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @Mr. S - your post is way out of line. We are trying to have intelligent conversations and debates on this forum and if you can't do this, please take your screeds elsewhere. I was tempted to report you to the moderators but didn't, hoping you would take my words to heart. Next time I will report.

14. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I just clicked "show ignored content". What a mistake that turned out to be...

Footy Magoo and Orange14 repped this.
  15. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Go ahead and report I could not give a damn.

It's obvious when the insulting comments of never playing the game, being biased with Germans or constant snide and sarcastic remarks appear in every thread even non-related in such aggressive manner and if you could not raise any objection to it then its hypocritical of you than when I raise such over-protective literally man-crush protective tendencies you raise objections.

Its hypocritical and go ahead and report

16. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    There needs to be some decency shown to all posters. Please keep the discussion civil. If you don't like a person please ignore them.

DRB300 and Orange14 repped this.
  17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #67 DRB300, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    I'm gonne wrap this discussion up with a summery:

Willems is a left back that does get passed by. Wingers/backs are able to cross a ball into the box, which means he is not solid in this department. Other weaknesses have been covered many times. His lack of crossing ability and his decision making ability in the final third especially when he decided to drift inside. Then he does not know what to do anymore.

That being said, the total package Willems brings to the table is an interesting one. He hoovers over the field, does have good forward challenges and wins more man vs man duels than in the past. In ball possession he has a delicious diagonal pass towards the 10-ish player, good personal technique to turn himself out of pressure and has the lungs, physique and speed to attack. He is much more a natural on the ball than many other players.

My problem in this discussion was not naming Willem weaknesses (which he has), but the contrast in speaking about him and Brenet in the Milan game who was involved in at least 3 conceded goals and numerous iffy situations. After his last game against Cambuur the player came out (on twitter I think) that he played a really bad game himself, which was right. Rarely have I seen a worse performance from a back than Brenet against Cambuur. Not even that far from Daan Bovenberg level.

I'm moving on now as Netherlands plays an international game tonight.

18. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    these last weeks haven't been good for PSV, losing to Groningen and now to Roda, not being able to win from Zagreb and even losing to the Bulgarian champion in the Europa League. Add the average performances of Maher and his dumb retweets about Toivonen and you can state that this team is in bad condition at the moment.

19. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope Tyton is OK.

20. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Awful injury.

21. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sad for tyton but he cant play football. So called purist fans bashing Kenneth or Pieters should check out this guy. Horrible Kicker and no footballing sense.

Zoet is way better in this regard

22. LSUinNL

LSUinNL New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Club:
    SV Roda JC
    I'm confused by you're statement. So you're saying this injury to Tyton validates your assessment that he can't play football?

Tyton does have shortcomings, but on the whole he is a good keeper. He has shown that during his time at Roda as well as coming off the bench for Poland in the Euro to save a penalty

23. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The media report that Tyton suffered a mild concussion and a bruised hip. Nasty injury and Tyton suffered one earlier at Roda in 2011. Hope that wont affect his recovery.

24. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011

No it has nothing to do with my statement. It was a random.

He is a good shot-stopper but poor with the ball and Zoet is better in that regard especially with regards to the kicking

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What's up with PSV? I haven't seen any of their matches other than the Ajax game and they apparently are looking really bad these days. Losing to Roda at home in a cup tie with a first team lineup????