Projected Top Four Seeds

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by collegesoccer, Nov 11, 2012.

1. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notre Dame is the #1 seed. They play the Cleveland State/Michigan State winner.

2. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Akron is the #5 seed. They'll host the Niagara/Michigan winner.

3. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Shocked by this. Akron has one hell of a bracket to get through...

4. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Mexico is the #13 seed. They host the Lafayette/Virginia winner.

5. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UConn the #4 seed. They play the Boston College/Northeastern winner.

6. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Wow. How in the world is UConn a higher seed than Akron?

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  7. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Georgetown is the #3 seed. They host the UAB/Charlotte winner

8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The whole process is a joke. Akron-Creighton rematch should be a great game, though.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  9. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    I honestly don't know if they get past Washington. UW has a really good team this year.

10. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Would it have been that difficult to swap GTown and Maryland, or VCU and Wake to avoid a conference rematch that early? Marquette/Louisville potentially in the Sweet 16 is another rematch that you'd hope could have been avoided until later. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but so much of the fun of the tournament is to see matchups that you don't always get to see otherwise.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Strength of schedule.

Also Ray Reid is on the committee.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  12. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didnt quite follow this.. but - I missed SLU...whom bumped Creighton as posted by whomever...

13. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.. the good thing is.. almost impossible to beat a team 3 straight times....

14. SLUzer

SLUzer Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Or, so the old legend says...

15. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

So an 8 spot gap in SOS rankings overcomes the 2 additional losses (and a tie to BU, yeah, not BC, BU)?

And btw, our argument yesterday about top four seeds? Never in a million years would I have expected UConn to sneak in over UCLA.

16. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ********ing Bloody Rubbish the NCAA!
    Three teams with worse records from THE SAME CONFERENCE?!
    It is not as if Akron can elect to NOT play the MAC!

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    But they shouldn't be rewarded it for it, either.

As I said yesterday, they didn't win either of their games against the toughest team on their schedule. 1-1-2 against the toughest teams on their schedule. They tied St. John's, which finished behind - and was beaten by - all the Big East teams seeded ahead of Akron.

When you put partisanship aside, it's a lot easier to understand them not getting a top 4 seed.

18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    But Georgetown went 0-3 against the toughest teams on its schedule and posted a far worse result (tie with Wisconsin) than any of Akron's.

This year's committee loved the Big East, even more than the RPI did. And the RPI has been proven wrong about the Big East time and again.

19. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Georgetown has 3 wins better than any win by akron.

Uconn also had 3 wins better than any win by akron.

20. Schwebin

Schwebin Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    UConn beat St. John's 3-0 where Akron tied them. Although UConn lost to Notre Dame 1-0 at a neutral site, they also beat Notre Dame earlier in the year where Akron lost to them. Why shouldn't UConn be higher then Akron. Yeah, UConn has also played better teams then Akron. When Akron out shoots NIU 23 to 4 in the conference final what does that say about their conference? Whereas look at the Big East Tourney and how close the semi's and final was.

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Because UConn mixed in a couple of very poor results with its good ones. Honestly, anyone who ties BU at home and loses to Providence has no business bashing the MAC.

22. Schwebin

Schwebin Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You're right because UConn beat Gtown on the road, in addition to Mich. St on the road, and beat the #1 seed as well as St. John's.

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    If you're arguing for UConn being seeded above Georgetown, I could buy that.

But Akron had plenty of good results of its own, without any glaring blemishes.

24. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Akron should be the #4 and UConn should be the #5; swapping all the teams in those brackets.

If I were King....

25. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

Well, I guess you guys are right. All teams did end with just one loss. Wait! What's that you say? Both UConn and Georgetown had 3 losses? Surely you took into account that they LOST two more games than Akron in your analysis right? As far as I can recall, the point of the game is to win. Akron won at a greater rate than either UConn or Georgetown while playing the toughest OOC schedule of anyone in the country. How that is not rewarded is beyond me. Akron played 8 teams who made the NCAA tournament, going 5-1-2. The notion they played some horrendous schedule just isn't true.

Heck, I'll be generous. I'll give you Georgetown, but the UConn pick is indefensible. Yes, they beat Notre Dame and Georgetown. They also lost to Providence, tied Boston University, tied Stony Brook and squeaked out an OT win against Dartmouth. Those are teams they should be streamrolling. Akron has manhandled the teams its supposed to beat. Also, shouldn't higher weight be given to recent performances? Every single other sport does. The Zips have been unreal over their last 15 games, going 14-0-1, scoring 3o and giving up 1 goal. Oh, and as for strength of schedule, they went 8-1-2 against Creighton, SIUE, Indiana, Notre Dame, St. Johns, South Florida, Penn State, Michigan, WVU, Ohio State and Michigan State (on the road). THAT's a team that can be knocked for a weak schedule? Really? I'm not even going to bring up the farce that was the Creighton game, or the fact that they were also supposed to play UCSB this year until they backed out (after playing Akron at home last year. Oh TVS, you rascal you).