Projected 2012 At-Larges

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by jdgaucho, Nov 11, 2012.

1. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SMU hosts Winthrop. Winner faces #10 Louisville

2. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coastal Carolina hosts Elon. Winner to #15 Wake Forest.

3. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drexel hosts Brown. Winner to #2 Maryland.

4. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Marvelous. CSUN beat San Diego 5-0 in San Diego earlier this season. UCLA refused to play CSUN in the regular season after the Matadors beat them at Drake Track Stadium in 2011.

5. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UC Davis, Rutgers, Loyola - all bubbles burst.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    About how I figured it would go down.

UCSB did Davis no favors because its other losses weakened UCSB's RPI and made Davis' wins over them less impressive.

7. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that surprised me. the NCAA does not usually schedule first round rematches.

8. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that the #6 ranked league in the country only sends one team to the NCAAs is ridiculous!

9. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That loss was the best thing to happen to UCLA last year. From that match forward, they reeled off 8 consecutive clean-sheets and a trip to the Final Four. Should be a spirited match again this year...as they always are!

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Only one team above 41 in the RPI,

Davis was hurt by teams like New Mexico and Coastal Carolina losing their conferences auto-bids and taking at-large bids from the bubble teams.

11. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    SIUE good on paper but no wins vs. tournament teams.

12. should be working

Apr 9, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the CSUN shellacking and a couple of other crash-and-burn performances early in the season, San Diego went on to win eight consecutive conference games. Second time around for CSUN-USD will be a better contest-- don't be too confident of a match between Northridge and UCLA!

13. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    According to Massey.

Conference
    TmsRecordPctRankSoS
    Pac 12630-14-60.6611
    Atlantic Coast956-21-80.70622
    Big East1588-32-150.70734
    Big 10742-29-100.5843
    Conference USA946-26-120.61955
    Big West737-28-80.56266
    Colonial1142-32-70.56279
    West Coast719-24-60.44987

Now if you want to argue the Big East is the top because of their top teams are the best that is fair. But from top to bottom the Pac12 was the best. They certainly out performed the ACC this year. The Pac 12 using UCLA most two teams from the bottom half of their conference was 2-2-1 in all away games against the 1 4 7 of the ACC.

upper_v and Hararea repped this.
  14. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    translation please

No shinguards repped this.
  15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    As someone who is adept at math as you are should recognize that when you have fewer teams it increases the chances of your bottom being closer to the middle whereas if you have more programs, odds are your bottom is further" from the middle.

So, for the Pac-12 to be better "top to bottom" than the Big East or ACC or A10 or whatever is misleading because the top 6 teams in the Big East or ACC are, at least, as good as the 6 Pac-12 teams but the Pac-12 doesn't have the bottom pulling them down.

Now, you can argue they also don't have the bottom teams to pad their record against, and that's a fair point, too. But the top to bottom argument doesn't hold much water when one conference is 150 percent bigger than the other.

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Seems like there's a simpler argument, which is that the only decent rating system puts the Pac-6 at #1.

17. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the "representation" arguement.. but not the " our conference is better than yours" part of all this. Akron is the lone, or half the representation of their conference most of the time in the NCAA Tourney, an they are generally successful ... If they were to move to a more competitive conference, what hapens to the Cup then? - It actually is LESS competitive becasue it would have to include the winner of MAC inthe absence of Akron... and perhaps Akron doesnt get there behind a couple schools in the big east, or wherever they might have moved....

The western schools, if the conference is better than most others, should have an edge in the cup as they have faced stiffer competition throughout the season.. not visa versa...So even 1 team in ought to have success...jsut like the MAC conference...

What am I missing .. in the end?

24Seven repped this.
  18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Duh, the vast East Coast conspiracy!

24Seven repped this.
  19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The big thing for me is home field advantage. Because western teams are systematically under-seeded, they never get any of the top four seeds, which give a team a huge leg up.

20. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Conspiracy? More like simple homerism.

If the system was broken in a way that favored the west, I'm sure there would be western homers defending it. But their arguments would be just as disingenuous as some of the eastern homers around here.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is a fair point.

22. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont get this.. I ask what I am missing, and there is a humerous post about the conspiracy.. so everyone latchs on to that?

I think the fact is.. I'mnot mising anything.. if a West team gets in , and they can play, they should have success... no matter how many teams from their conferenec are represented...

23. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    True

Like I wrote, if you just want to ignore the weak teams in the conference, the Big East is the best this year or maybe you can say the MAC is the best because Akron is the best team. But if you want to look at the entire conference the Pac12 is the best which is why Massey has that conference at number 1. It is not surprising because if you look at the average number of players drafted per team, the Pac12 and ACC are far ahead of everyone. Even a bottom feeder from that conference like Oregon State has a lot of good players. Welshman will draw a lot of interest this year.

24. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    3 factors:
    1) Participation - you can't win if they don't let you play. I would better if you asked Gunn, he would tell you he's got better players than than the team at Charlotte he took to the finals last year. Based on the second half of the season, I don't think anyone would look forward to playing them. But even though they should be in the tournament, they are not.

2) Seeding. In order to get into the final both UCLA and Akron (they are not a west team, but as a top team from a bad conference the get screwed every year as well) will have to win a road game to get to the final 4. Neither should have to do so. Last year New Mexico should have been number 1 and they were seeded number 10. The final four is usually on the other end of the country and it is more difficult for you body to adjust to an earlier time zone than a later one.

3) Related to the first - the limited teams in the West are all scheduled against each other so that they all knock each other out until only a couple of west teams remain.

25. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    If the RPI calculation used in men's and women's soccer isn't biased against the men's teams in the west do the the distributions as I've explained, why doesn't Massey should the same extreme positive bias for the women's teams in the west? After all, either the worst rating system in general use is flawed (RPI) or Massey is flawed.