Professional Development Leagues thread

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Aug 16, 2013.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Chelsea beat a cautious uninspiring Arsenal 2-1 last night in the first leg of the youth cup semi final. Akpom did open the scoring against the run of play on 56 minutes with a cracking left foot shot from an angle when under pressure. Although Chelsea had dominated, it was the a case of little quality in the final third. However, they scored two soon after and will be disappointed they didn't score more. RLC was looking his usual imperious self and was MoM.

2. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm pretty sure it's because I hold him to this ridiculously high standard but I didn't think Ruben was that good after the first 20 mins, he always leaves me wanting more. Houghton was the standout for me.

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, I've said similar a number f times on here about RLC. Houghton seems to have been around for an age albeit in the background. I can see people viewing Cheek as being more style than substance, and he needs to sort out his shooting. Few did their reputations much good. Crowley as a number 10 left Akpom isolated with Arsenal showing little in the way of attacking intent with Chelsea dominating midfield. The little munchkin Crowley didn't see much of the ball and when he did could do little. Hopefully I caught the boy wonder on another bad day.

4. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    He's just back from a 2-month injury layoff. Plus, he was one of the youngest players on the pitch(I think).

5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He did fine considering what he had to work with in terms of passing options, which wasn't a lot. He's also looked almost a full foot shorter than RLC who was usually closest to him. I think his short term progress will be tied to his physical development as much as anything, because technically he's more than ready for regular U21 football.

6. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Was out injured from Jan-Aug pretty much, took him a long time to get back to match fitness but he's been in very good form in 2014. Should push into the U21s next season, only reason he hasn't already is because Baker/Loftus-Cheek/Swift/Van Ginkel/Boga is a tough group to break into.

7. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Crowley was often around akpom giving him a passing option so I cant understand your criticism. But your right about him being small, he is indeed small.

I wasn't sure why arsenal kept knocking the ball straight forward to akpom, it brought little success and prevented Crowley and zelalem getting in the game. It was very different to how arsenals u21s play

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    By the way - it shouldn't be forgotten that both Chelsea goals were from Cheek's passes.

9. Fanzz

Fanzz Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Juni are you still keeping scorers? If so can you publish leading scoters for u18 and u21. (Also a combined one in case it misses someone out with not enough goals in either but among the top when combined)

Cevno repped this.
  10. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, would be great if you are keeping track Juni.

11. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #61 Juni, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    Of course I am :) Those with double figures in the respective leagues.

Under-18s (League Only, no Cups)

Jordan Preston (Blackburn) 19 (plus 3 Under-21 goals)
    Thierry Ambrose (Man City) 18
    Kieran Bywater (West Ham) 17
    Daniel Akindayini (Tottenham) 16
    Jamie Thomas (Bolton) 16
    Moussa Dembele (Fulham) 14 (plus 8 Under-21 goals)
    Jerome Sinclair (Liverpool) 13
    Thomas Strain (Aston Villa) 13 (plus 1 Under-21 goal)
    Brandon Barker (Man City) 12
    Ibrahim Keita (Wolves) 12 (plus 1 Under-21 goal)
    Ashley Fletcher (Man Utd) 12
    Jerell Sellars (Aston Villa) 12
    Dominic Solanke (Chelsea) 12
    George Williams (Fulham) 12 (plus 1 Under-21 goal)
    George Green (Everton) 11
    Rees Greenwood (Sunderland) 11
    Tom Heardman (Newcastle) 11
    Jorge Intima (Man City) 11
    Harry McKirdy (Aston Villa) 11
    Dean Rittenberg (Blackburn) 11 (plus 3 Under-21 goals)
    Lynden Gooch (Sunderland) 10
    Nathan Oduwa (Tottenham) 10
    Harry Wilson (Liverpool) 10

Under-21s (Including Under-21 Cup)

Jordi Hiwula (Man City) 15
    Craig Tanner (Reading) 13
    Lewis Baker (Chelsea) 12
    Gozie Ugwu (Reading) 12
    Mickael Mandron (Sunderland) 11
    Josh Murphy (Norwich) 11
    Callum Robinson (Aston Villa) 11
    Devante Cole (Chelsea) 10
    Zach Clough (Bolton) 10
    Jack Dunn (Liverpool) 10

BarryfromEastenders and Cevno repped this.
  12. Fanzz

Fanzz Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Thanks Juni

Can you also do a combined (U18 U21) over 10 goals as someone with, for instance, 9 in each league won't appear above.

Can I also ask whether these are the official figures or have you compiled them yourself.

13. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'll do that later when I get home but off my head Adam Armstrong is the only one who would hit double figures combined without having done so in either alone.

They're personally compiled but using official websites and premierleague.com to verify.

14. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    James Wilson would do too, i imagine. Think he has 16 in 19 games in u18's and u21s this season as per stats i saw elsewhere.

Thanks Juni.

15. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wilson's tally will include FA Youth Cup and Manchester Senior Cup, which I've not kept track of.

16. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    OK, having cross-referenced, these guys reach double figures from the two leagues combined whilst remaining in single figures in each:

James Wilson (Man Utd) - 14 (7 U18 and 7 U21)
    Jordan Brown (West Ham) - 12 (9 U18 and 3 U21)
    Jonathyn Quinn (Newcastle) - 12 (7 U18 and 5 U21)
    Ryan Seager (Southampton) - 11 (9 U18 and 2 U21)
    Martin Smith (Sunderland) - 11 (9 U18 and 2 U21)
    Harry Charsley (Everton) - 10 (8 U18 and 2 U21)
    Adam Armstrong (Newcastle) - 10 (2 U18 and 8 U21)

Fanzz and Cevno repped this.
  17. Fanzz

Fanzz Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Thanks Juni.

Looks like a fair cross section of academys represented. Most notable exception being arsenal, but their results haven't been great this season.

B.t.w how has feruz been this season. Seems to have fallen over a bit of a cliff in terms of goals this season.

Ps take it devante cole is with man city & not been bought by Chelsea as you have above.

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He's been poor for the last two seasons.

19. Fanzz

Fanzz Member

Oct 10, 2011
    My memory must be going. Thought I remembered him scoring loads last season.

20. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Feruz has rounded out his game more than numbers will show, he's a better player for it although he's not quite scored as many this season.

21. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Dunno how many. But he has been poor. Interestingly he doesn't play for the youth cup side - paving the way for the likes of schoolboy Solanke.

22. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Man City v Chelsea u21 semi play off on Thursday is on SKY.

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The attacking minded Chelsea deserved to beat Man U 2-1 in tonight's u21 final, with Baker scoring the winner.

Ola Aina hasn't really got the height for it but has adapted really well to the centre back position of late and is still only 17.

24. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know they are always late but I've still not seen any u18 fixtures for the coming season yet. It must be any time now.

25. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Good to see that Brighton and Derby are now Cat 1 Academies. Though it is a shame that Ipswich missed out by a mere 0.3% margin.