Preseason: Seattle Sounders v. Houston Dynamo, Wednesday, February 26

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    AJ Cochran is a beast. Impressive young player.

Soccergodlss and Fiorentina lives! repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, according to Don Juego, Camargo was the best pure soccer player the Dynamo have ever had. He was also the best pure player who ever sat behind undrafted college players.

Levy2k6 repped this.
  3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    SEA 1-1 HOU, final

HOU - Davis, 14'
    SEA - Martins, 44'

4. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed it. Hope there are highlights

5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Right now that makes him the best pure soccer player plying his trade in the lowest level of the Brazilian national pyramid (Serie D).

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i see the point @DonJuego was trying to make though. IMO, i would say the purest soccer player we ever had on our roster was Richard Mulrooney, but you never saw/will never see Richie on a BBVA pillar, on a season ticket holder box or on a fan's all time fave list.

7. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Back on topic...Davis got a goal. But the significant thing to me was Brad got the goal because Mr Bruin missed from inside 10 yards (OK it was blocked but...)

Other than that, did Will even play? What does he have, one goal in all these preseason games? I stuck by the guy most of last season, but this is seriously concerning to me when he's still considered our number one guy.

.César. repped this.
  8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yep, one goal. Against the Dynamo Academy no less (plus 5 pretty terrible misses in that match). I was a Bruin defender for most of last season, but changed my tune by the end of the year. I do not have high hopes. I think unrealistic expectations were set after 2012 and that Bruin is not really anywhere near a 16 goals per season kind of a guy. I think he is an 8-10 goal, 10% shooting efficiency kind of a player.

.César. repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope he likes Houston and the fans well enough to stay :D

10. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact is, he has shown the capability to do it. If he can regain the state of mind he had during that season, it can happen again. Will he ever regain that? That is left to be determined.

11. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big question coming up is will he be paid for what he did, what he is currently doing, or what he potentially might do?

12. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Lopez had some very good passes last night. He'd do better in a more technical league.

13. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This is pure speculation on my part, however I wonder how much opponents geared their tactical plans on defense around stopping Bruin in 2012. My guess is he got a bit more space and time as he wasn't the focal point. By last season, people were talking about 25 goals for Bruin so teams clearly focused on defending against Bruin in the middle as a priority, thus he had less space and time and shots tended to be far less accurate as a result. Confidence then comes into play and things can really spiral downward.

Bit like Jeremy Lin. Exploded at New York when nobody knew much about him and did not key in on him. Soon as defenses started adjusting to his play, he fell back to being an average NBA point guard rather than a superstar and has never approached the same level of play since.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  14. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Just a guess, but probably a blend between what he is currently doing and what he might do. The retention funds come into play big time, though.

15. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Apologies for multiple posts, but since we are talking Bruin, don't know how many of you read Stephen Eastepp's good interview with Bruin over at Keeper Notes. http://keepernotes.com/2014/02/24/will-bruin-houston-dynamo-2014-interview/

Most puzzling thing about it is Bruin blames lack of familiarity with the 4-3-3 as part of his drop off in 2013. Call me crazy, but I'd say we played far more 4-3-3 in 2012 than we did 2013.

16. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yes, but Bruin didn't know that.

footyfool repped this.
  17. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *rey* repped this.
  18. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Did Euan Holden travel with club to charleston?

19. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No, he stayed in Houston.