Preseason match up with Charleston

Discussion in 'North Carolina FC' started by Mikey mouse, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The distance looks like less than 300 miles, it makes sense for the teams to play each other for warm up games; did they do this last year?

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I think they have played each other since the split. But Curt Johnson, the Railhawk's president, plays on on a Sunday league with the Battery owner here in Charleston so I imagine this one is pretty easy to set up.

I do think this is the first time we get a home and away match though.

4. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And even before he was involved, the office has always known it's a rivalry the fans care about.

Yeah, I think previously they'd alternated venues.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL Pro’s Richmond Kickers fell 4-1 Saturday to the NASL’s Carolina Railhawks at Ukrop Park in the team’s second preseason match as Brian Shriver had a hat trick for the winners.
    Forward Brian Ackley scored first in the 30th minute to give the Railhawks a 1-0 lead. Shriver scored the first of his three goals three minutes later, putting the Railhawks up 2-0 at halftime.
    The Kickers’ lone goal came in the 72nd minute from trialist Chris Thomas, who took a pass from D.C. United defender Taylor Kemp–likely to be one of the four players to play with the Kickers for the bulk of the season–and scored, cutting the Railhawks lead to 2-1.
    Thomas, who tallied 53 goals with Elon, including 18 game-winners, was the nation’s leading goal-scorer in 2012 with 23 goals in 22 games, was named a Division I All-American and was taken by MLS’s New England Revolution fourth overall in the second round of the league’s Supplemental Draft in January. He helped lead Elon to the NCAA tournament the last two seasons but wasn’t able to stick long with the Revolution during preseason.
    Back to the friendly, the Railhawks’ Shriver picked up two more goals in the latter stages of the match to provide for the final margin.
    The Kickers return to action Mar. 16 against NCAA finalists Georgetown at Ukrop Park in the fourth annual Pro-Am Challenge at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5.

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carolina isn't really marketing this game against the Battery and is actually putting it on one of the fields outside the stadium. Much more focus is being put on the matchup with Pumas UNAM on Wednesday, March 20. And judging from the seats left for sale on the etix site, ticket sales seem to be going pretty well (probably at least 5k sold already?)

I think there could be a great rivalry with Charleston but unfortunately I can't really see that developing unless the Battery move up to NASL and they start playing some meaningful games against one another. Add a NASL team in Charlotte and there could be a true "Carolinas Cup"!

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i agree it is just preseason. the only reason this match is happening is likely because Curt Johnson's family lives here in Charleston and he plays on the Battery's O45 league with the Battery owners. makes it easy to set up a match

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe some beers are on the line ;)

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery win 2-1. Battery goals by Quinton Griffith and Michael Azira. not sure who scored for the Railhawks.

Guess Johnson is buying beers for this one!

11. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Carolina moves to USL Pro :D

Not trying to start anything, just giving you guys a poke for old times sake. Always enjoyed visiting Cary & partaking in your tailgating. Good luck this year, maybe we'll see each other in the USOC.

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States