Preseason: Houston Dynamo v. Colorado Rapids, Sunday, February 2

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Interesting. Lopez has looked good in the past for his country, and had a very good Gold Cup. We know his potential. That's why Kuper advises to resist buying a player based on stellar performances during big tournaments. It inflates their price, and their form may be temporary.

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. Also, Glenn Davis' observations from yesterday on Lopez were not real encouraging. If Glenn gives criticism, you know it's sort of approved.

3. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can second that he is not near the level we need him to be and I agree that Sito looked better (but not very strong defensively and turns the ball over too much). I thought Holden looked to hold his own as well.

4. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I am hearing good things about Horst. This player could elevate the team if he has a good preseason.

5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I have to apologize. Since I had never seen him play I thought him being in camp was a 'novelty'. After watching him play it's hard not to like him. He plays hard and has good size for an outside back.

6. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Dom!

Levy2k6 and *rey* repped this.
  7. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32 The_Ponce, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Sito is 35. I am officially joining the ranks of those that don't believe in Lopez anymore. In two preseason games against he hasn't shown anything worth noting. Sito has been playing way better. Casio is a beast.

Sito may sign on at league minimum and I can't imagine Euan being too expensive. Both can be better acquisitions than Lopez.

8. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that we have solid competition for spots at CB. Thats truly a needed thing. I think Cochran will be good down the line as well. He is even bigger than I thought he was. I saw him attack the ball on a set piece the way you would expect from a guy that big, it was just hit too high.

9. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Look, I am not someone who just finds the 'one player' to always call a bum.

I want Lopez to succeed for us but you have observations and if those observations give you a pattern you start to make conclusions.

What I want is for all of our players is for them to constantly evolve in a positive way that makes them and the team more successful.

10. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree, I want Lopez to succeed. I've stated countless times that he has the talent to be the next Boniek. I also stated that our MLS Cup success rested on him showing up to play. Thankfully, this preseason has given me hope that maybe even if Lopez fails, we may still have a breakout star in another player.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is starting to slip into Landin territory - DP signing of a younger player with "skill", struggles in the adjustment to MLS, shacks up with Snoopy in Dom's Doghouse, never develops into the player we thought. Frankly, while MLS may be a more physical league than some, you either adjust quickly or you never adjust. If NCAA non-seasoned college guys can adjust, a pro playing for his national team should be able to do so.

It is still too early to make a final call on Lopez, but I don't like what I am hearing.

12. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Right. When you buy a player with a large transfer fee (by MLS standards) and he is taking a young DP slot, and he can't break into a team with absences, we got a problem. Some people just can't adjust to life in a foreign country...

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Well let's also keep in mind the fans perceived timeline and Dom's may or may not be the same. I for one am not going to worry about it too much.

*rey* repped this.
  14. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    c'mon homies. we haven't even gotten to Charleston yet. barely the 2nd pre-season scrimmage.

redinthemorning and DonJuego repped this.
  15. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my tiny, stumbledore hating head is about to explode. This is "bust" territory he is treading into........

16. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #41 Heft, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    I don't lose any sleep over it. It's like he was never here. Every club has players that haven't worked out, so it's nothing new at all. I don't lose sleep over the Dynamo--they're still learning the ropes.

*rey* repped this.
  17. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm losing sleep over Koke and Cisco :/

18. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not Sito play in PDL last year?

19. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    yeah for the Autin Aztex. When you watch the videos from last season you can see that he passes the ball well and is very good w set pieces. The forward Drydek( sp?) that Chivas USA drafted stands out even more.

People that scout young players for a living have it tough because they have to endure watching alot of poorly shot home video.

20. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a typo from Leo, according to his bio (unless that has a typo) he's 25.

DonJuego repped this.
  21. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kris Tyrpak was drafted by Chivas, he looked solid and hopefully gets a chance but with Chivas you never know.

Or you know, they could come and watch them play in person. Not that hard when you're looking at local guys, especially when they were coached by one of your former players.

Levy2k6 repped this.
  22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
  23. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Sito from Spain? I heard that somewhere but I don't see any background on him other than Azteks and San Jac.

24. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lopez I can see has till the end of the year to impress Dom or he will ship him back to Honduras. I'm glad to see Driver back with the team, such a solid player last year when he wasn't injured. Euan could be a possible solid pick up, if he decides to come back to the US to play.

25. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yes. Spanish player. I think he came over for college or at the same time he was starting college. I have no idea if he has a green card which is possible since he apparently has a desire to play here.

He seems very aggressive and has a nose for the goal. In austin, he played well the first half of the year but when the pressure mounted he really turned it on with (I think) almost half his goals coming in the playoffs. I like him, but have only seen a bit. I have no idea how he would fit into the bigger picture.

Since we essentially were beat by a kid from the lower divisions; that doesn't bother me if he is good enough.

brahmafutbol repped this.