Preseason Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by PumaJohnny, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Mattymatumbo

Mattymatumbo Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Garth said of the contract we're negotiating right now: "He's inbetween (target and speed.) I need to be clear, nothing's done yet — our top target is a younger player."

Could be a rough season if we can't get a clear number 2. Who knows what Findley and Plata are going to be capable of. Maybe a 4-3-3 like we used to run with Yura, Espi, and Findley could work.

-----Plata----------Sabo---------Findley-----

or something like that.

2. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is this unsigned player has the quality to be the clear #2, at least on paper. That said, JK wants competition at every spot, so the idea of having clear-cut starters is probably not valid and you won't know who the starters are until opening day. When Garth says this will be a younger player, he means younger than Sabo. Younger doesn't mean the player is 18 and this is his first pro team - this will be a more experienced player who has a resume worthy of a starter in MLS.

And there's no way RSL is going to a 4-3-3.

3. Liv34s0ccer

Liv34s0ccer Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Ha funny thought there. I dont see Kreis going for the 4-3-3 and the next question would be who subs in for those 3? No one cause there isnt anyone else except Sandoval assuming he gets signed.

4. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Jason experimented with the 4-5-1 in 2010.
    We've occasionally tried a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 late in games, but sans multiple injuries, I doubt we'll ever play an entire game in a formation other than the good old 4-4-2 diamond.

5. Mattymatumbo

Mattymatumbo Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I imagine we'll give a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 a shot when we're down, since that is out "panic tactic." But yeah, we are too shallow in the striker department to start with that.

6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of MLS teams are dealing with departures too. I think the path to the cup may be more clear this year...I think NYRB may be the team to beat, and our former pals Jamison and Fabian will be part of it.

7. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see the headlines now: Fabian Espindola Game Winning Goal Gives NYRB the MLS cup.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you were calling me out, I had to reply. While I agree that your analysis sounds fine, I have to *gasp* disagree. Half of your points are educated guesses at best.

Position - Outgoing Player - Incoming Player (comparison)
    Backup GK - Kyle Reynish - Jeff Attinella (probably a step up)
    I call that equal right now.
    Starting CB - Jamison Olave - Chris Schuler (this is a tough one...Olave was good but never played)
    Can Schuler replace Olave? I hope so. But we are already facing the problem brought on by unloading Olave: Can KWS replace Borchers? KWS has to for 3 months to begin the season. So we are saying that KWS or Maund are the replacement for Olave? I cannot believe that at this point.
    Starting MF - Will Johnson - Luis Gil (probably a step down)
    I agree. I count that as a negative.
    Backup MF - Johnny Steele - Sebastian Velasquez/David Viana (definitely a step up)
    Unproven. If Seba could do this last year, why did Steele play so many time over him? Viana?
    Starting FW - Fabian Espindola - ??? (unknown)
    So until that person is signed, UNKNOWN
    3rd FW - Paulo Jr. - Robbie Findley (definitely a big step up)
    Sure.
    4th FW - Justin Braun - Joao Plata (definitely a step up)
    Sure.

Since your "step ups" are completely based on backup players that are unproven, how can you say this? Sure the bench looks better now, but thats not going to win us more games in 2013 if the starting 11 is weaker. Can it?

Listen I am not saying the sky is falling, but to say we have STEPPED UP this offseason after losing WJ, Olave and Espy with no real equal replacements for any of these players is a massive stretch and I just don't see it yet. Lets call each other out again come March when we are winning/losing.

Thats kinda the point isn't it? IF we do get these magical new players that are starter worthy, then all our fears and tears are washed away. The season starts in 6 weeks, tick tick.

Black Prince and UPinSLC repped this.
  9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I thought Seba was showing good enough at the first of the season to warrant more time on the field. He wasn't labeled as a starter so once people became more healthy he was left out. I think the only reason Steele saw more minutes was probably due to 2 clutch goals early on and they were saying his defense was better, even if a lot of his offense was just giving it back to the other team.

I think if there really is true competition and being able to stick with players while they're playing well, and rotate them out when they hit a slump, we'll look better with the competition for playing time.

10. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I wasn't too upset at the first preseason game loss until I found out it wasn't the Danish U21 team but rather their best U12 team.

WE ARE SO SCREWED!

#chickenlittle

11. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    so for the whole off season the only forward we could find was a 5 ft 2 in 135 lb player? I don't count Findley cause they didn't find him , he just came back. Must of been a nice off season vacation for some!

12. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A big ol' welcome to the Instant Gratification Contingent! Great to have you with us!!

It's friggin' January. Patience kids. Patience.

13. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when I'm speculating about the future it's educated guessing, but when you're speaking about the future it's fact? OK, got it.

14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess by your count we still only have Sabo as a forward since Plata was with TFC and Findley was with us before. Solid logic.. I also like how you're just assuming that we haven't been pursuing anyone. I can see the frustrations when there aren't leaks about people we're after, but the opposite could be just as frustrating. I'd be a little frustrated if we were linked to players a, b, c, and d, then find out that we aren't really after b and d, c was someone we really wanted but talks fell through at some point, and a is the guy we finally land.

The international window ends today for Europe. I'd think our chances of landing someone, especially if a fee is involved, are a lot higher starting tomorrow. We're not Europe. With a salary cap in place, just about any transfer fee paid will put a player into DP territory at least until that fee is paid. If we have to pay to get someone, smart business would be waiting until you have the best chance at getting someone for less. Why pay 500k transfer fee 2 weeks ago if you can wait until next week and only have to pay 250k? When we got Sabo it was in March. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if forward #2 winds up being a similar situation. It'll still be frustrating if it winds up being that far out, but I'd much rather see us wait and save some cash instead of blowing cap space just to get someone a few weeks sooner.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at what has happened less in terms of specific players and more in terms of addressing specific weaknesses. We had two major weaknesses: lack of team speed and lack of goals in critical games. Someone else will be coming in who may or may not pan out, but when considering what we've done so far I am quite optimistic. The speed represented by Findley and Plata opens all kinds of space, not just for Saborio but for the midfielders too. I think these two go a long way to addressing the specific issues we had last year, even without taking the additional striker we've yet to sign into consideration.

When you look at what we gave up to get Findley and Plata, and what we're paying them? Good grief, we have plenty of cash to sign another starting striker, and even a solid backup like Khari if we choose to, and still have money for a midseason reinforcement if necessary.

All of the moves are interrelated.

16. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) You can't believe that KWS is a replacement to Olave? Where were you last season? Olave only played in 21 games. Schuler was injured for most of the season. Who replaced Olave last year: KWS. We've already seen that he can do it. Why is that your sticking point now? I'd agree that he needs to improve on the offensive side to fully replace Olave, but he's done fine on the defensive side.

2) You really don't think Seba can replace Steele? A traffic cone could replace Steele and do just fine. I think the big reason Steele played over Seba was his "veteran" status as a USL player, and his defense. Every time Seba came in he impressed me with his skill on the ball. Sure, he needs to improve on defense. But to say he's not an improvement over Steele is a bit on the side of lunacy, IMO.

3) Findley is already a step up from Espindola for one reason: he can score in big games. Sure, Findley isn't replacing Espy, but he can fill that position until this fabled #2 shows up.

Personally, I view the current roster to be on par with what we had last year. No big losses. You can't use the excuse that the best starting 11 from last year was better. The starting 11 played what, 1-2 games together? Sure, the loss of WJ and Olave are big, but I think we'll be fine with what we have. KWS and Schuler have already proven that they can fill in for Olave and Borchers. Ned can take over the defensive responsibilities that Will had if Gil can't. And losing Will makes the team more offensive, IMO. Will constantly tucked in to be a second DM, thus losing an offensive aspect of the diamond. I don't see the sky as falling, I see this team has a lot of potential. Now we just have to wait and see if it is good potential, or the potential that the failed pageant girl has - "You've got potential honey. Try again next year."

SALTLAKEJAKE and Todorojo repped this.
  17. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This was exactly how I've felt so far this offseason. Just because we aren't bringing in big names, doesn't mean the guy sitting on the bench last season, isn't a solid replacement capable of producing as good as last seasons starter, time will tell. But I think Garson, knows what their doing.

18. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to think that, but to be truthful A LOT of those guys on the bench got plenty of minutes last year to show that they were in fact better than the starter. And most of them failed. It may be that they just needed more time as several of them are youngins, but I don't feel like 1 offseason is going to take care of that.

ShaggyReAL repped this.
  19. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't think Seba failed at all really. He wasn't a defensive rock, but I thought he was quite good going forward and deserved more time than he got. Whether he can live up to that or not this season will have to be seen. It's sounding like Viana is shaping up to be good as well.

I'm actually somewhat excited for this season because I think we might actually see some rotation and actual competition for spots. Something we haven't seen much of in the last couple seasons. Add in the speed we've been missing up top, and I think we're in for a fun season.

Krhoades repped this.
  20. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the improvements in stadium food that should go hand in hand with the "new" owner. Hansen just needs to hire the guys that make the Chicago and All-Star Dogs at the Bees games. Those are amazing! <drools>

21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we could get some real beer choices as well. No way I'm paying $8 for a beer I don't like. Even then I'm still tempted to just bring a flask in and save all around.

Bulldog SLC repped this.
  22. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Steele's attitude was great, but on the offensive side, the traffic cone would beat him 3 out of 5 times because it wouldn't give the ball away...was a shame he didn't improve throughout the year.

23. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    With the (mostly) mass-produced swill they sell I will never even consider buying a beer at the RioT. However, if they start selling Epic or Unsacred (e.g. Rimando's Wit) at non-extortionist prices I might consider it.

24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to bring back the $5 food vouchers for showing up on time. It was nice to buy something at the RioT and have it be a normal price. It's one of the few times I've actually paid for something at the game.

ShaggyReAL repped this.
  25. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested in your thoughts on who failed and why.