Preseason Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by PumaJohnny, Jan 22, 2013.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame you for their coming injuries in the next two weeks

2. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  3. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually he said he hoped they would be signed while they are in Cali. I say this just so that certain board members don't rend their garments in anguish if there hasn't been an announcement (or two) when RSL boards the plane.

SALTLAKEJAKE and ShaggyReAL repped this.
  4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    This is terrible, when you consider the players this Danish U21 NT were fielding...

The Danish lineup :
    Frederik Rønnow (AC Horsens)
    Mark Gundelach (FC Nordsjælland)
    Kasper Larsen (OB Odense)
    Jens Jønsson (AGF Aarhus)
    Jonas Knudsen (Esbjerg fB)
    Uffe Manich Bech (Lyngby BK, 2nd level)
    Daniel Pedersen (Silkeborg IF)
    Mathias Gehrt (Brøndby IF)
    Youssef Toutouh (Esbjerg fB/FCK)
    Yussuf Poulsen (Lyngby BK, 2nd level)
    Nicolai Brock-Madsen (Randers FC)

Non of the best Danish U21's were there, except for keeper Frederik Rønnow, because they are either not allowed to go on tour and play this kind of friendlies, or they are playing for the 'Denmark League XI' national team at the moment, against Canada and Mexico... so this was some young talents from the Danish Superliga and Betsafe League (2nd level)... with only half of them being regular starters for their club teams.

5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meh, considering the team we put out there is also a bunch of young guys with very little experience overall (especially with together), i'm not putting any stock into the result. right now it's about finding out which of these trialists and babies (seriously, seeing some of these youth academy guys get time is making me feel mighty old right now) can show something. the team has been training for what, a week? and half these guys have never been on the same field together or are fresh from college/youth academies with no experience playing at a higher level. besides morales' 30 minutes and KWS/yordany getting some play, none of RSL regulars saw the field.

6. TheCrossbar

TheCrossbar New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was, after all, the first game of preseason — a friendly — and one in which fitness was likely more of a concern than, you know, winning. Terrible? Hardly.

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I have seen the Canadians use the same excuse, when they lost 4-0 to the 'Denmark League XI' ... Denmark has a terrible long winter break, so this was also the very first game for the Danish players and they had not been in any training camp in Denmark before this match, so they did not have any kind of advantage.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ceres, most of the players for RSL yesterday will never play a single game in MLS for RSL or any other team. I am certain your group outclasses the one RSL put out there in terms of talent.

9. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    No kidding. Many of them have never played a professional game. How much could they have done against a group where half are regular professional starters?

10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Still, we are talking about 18-20 yo talents who for the most part are fringe players for their teams in the Superliga at best, or have been good regulars in Danish 2nd level clubs... it's more like a 'B' selection of Danish 18-20 yo's, playing their first game together and away from home.

11. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your B team beat our B team (if you can even call it that). What is the point you are trying to get across? Are we supposed to erupt in a panic over this?

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And like I said before that, yesterdays group for RSL was nothing but trialists, kids fresh out of college or even academy U-18 kids. Besides Morales, KWS and Yordany (none of which played more than 45 minutes anyways) there isn't a single guy out of the group that played that will see meaningful MLS minutes with RSL (and maybe any MLS team) this year. Maybe Viana. Believe me, the result wasn't nearly as bad as you would like to think it was, this was RSL throwing out a bunch of guys who have literally never played together before and seeing who has the most raw talent.

MOS5 repped this.
  13. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B team? This wasn't even the D team. Most of those guys won't even make the team.

14. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was being very generous to try and understand the point he was trying to make. Either way, I don't get what he's trying to prove.

15. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irony and misdirected sarcasm are running rampant.

16. TheCrossbar

TheCrossbar New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To play devil's advocate a bit here, I've bolded players who have already made the team.

Lalo Fernandez (Jeff Attinella, 46’); Lovel Palmer (Aaron Maund, 46’), Carlos Salcedo (Enzo Martinez, 69’), Kwame Watson-Siriboe (Chris Schuler, 46’), Brock Granger** (Kenny Mansally, 46’); Enzo Martinez (Yordany Alvarez, 46’); Cole Grossman (John Stertzer, 46’), David Viana (Sebastian Velasquez, 46’); Javier Morales (Jose Hernandez***, 44’; Khari Stephenson*, 46’); Peri Marosevic* (Jordan Allen***), Benji Lopez*** (Devon Sandoval**, 46’)

Which isn't to say we should have won or anything of the sort — but I'd hesitate to describe this as a D-level team. Of those unbolded, Hernandez, Allen, and Lopez are academy; Marosevic has been released from camp; Sandoval is likely to sign, and Granger is unlikely to sign, but who knows. Stephenson? Ah, who knows.

Really, first match of preseason, only a week or so removed from the first day of preseason? You cite the winter break, and sure, that means something — but maybe just for that reason, it's worth considering that it was essentially a meaningless match. Or, hey, if we want to take it into another direction, Denmark didn't score from the run of play... terrible! (Ahem.)

(edited to include Brock Granger)

burninator and MOS5 repped this.
  17. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do all people from Denmark look like Viggo Mortensen?

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It actually is Viggo in a Danish NT shirt... as most people don't know (also Danes), then Viggo is actually still a Danish citizen, despite his many years living abroad... he also support Argentina and speak Danish and Spanish, besides English.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a terrific story about him getting into trouble with airport security last year while shouting about a game in which his favorite team - a second division side in Argentina - was playing. Here it is.

15 to 32 and standard repped this.
  20. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the Danes do not get my jokes. :ROFLMAO:

21. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of your posts contain an errant period sitting below the paragraph, lonely, and alone. It reminds me of the black hole created by the Springfield Subatomic Supercollider: small and innocent, but waiting to wreak havoc. It's kind of creepy. Just saying...

d1ddy and Bulldog SLC repped this.
  22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Here he is putting out a cigarette on his tongue, drinking beer and eating his favorite Danish dish 'biksemad' live in a Danish talkshow... his Danish is flawless but sounds a bit old fashioned, no doubt because he has lived so many years abroad :

23. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm suddenly regretting bringing him up

24. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It's more interesting that your imagination get all this out of a few random facts that I have been posting... :D

25. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No...he's trying to tell you that you are coming across like a weirdo stalker. Or like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.