PBP: Premier League: Manchester United vs Fulham, Feb 9,2014[R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by nimma, Feb 5, 2014.

1. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "I've never headed that many balls since I played in the Conference!" Wonderful zing from Dan Burn.

2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    few thoughts

we are the laughing stcok of the soccer world.

If you assume we had 70% possesion that is 63 minutes so that is more than one cross per minute of United possession.

Unless DDG is getting in on the act, that is 8.1 crosses per outfield spot on the team.... sheesh

If you are crossing every minute of your possession, that really does not give you any time for anything else. how can you create a passing chain that will draw the opposing players out??

wactching that video of the crossing is like watching the same gif over and over again.

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the ball was not in play for 90 mins so our 70% is far less than 63 mins

4. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I WAS BEING NICE DAGNABBIT!

5. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good thing you didn't create a new version of the Bob Newhart "Hi Bob" drinking game while watching this game. 81 shots of any thing over 2 hours = certain death. (I didn't watch the game, but only heard of the 81 crosses from the media).

6. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i swear to god i saw DDG crossing the ball one of the times! can anyone confirm or confirm this please.

7. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Both in the game and a match report, there were parallels drawn between Moyes celebrating our second goal and the 1993 Sheffield Wednesay, Fergie & Kiddo incident.

Are the media that desperate to apply narrative? One of those moments will live in the memory of every United fan that saw it, as it kept us in the hunt for our first league title in 26 years. The other was coming from behind against the bottom team in the league.

Anyway, for my sanity's sake, I think I'll be slipping into "gallows humour" mode until Moyes is ejected from OT. A new sig is required...

johno repped this.
  8. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    That's exactly what I was thinking while watching the game and @lynne has been suggesting that for a while now.

Certain pundits/commentators seem reluctant to criticize Moyes, almost as if they're desperately following a pre-selected narrative as you said.

If this type of canned "commentary" is what I have to look forward to I may have to watch future BPL games in another language.

9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    johno repped this.
  10. canandaigua

canandaigua Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Canandaigua, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number of crosses is just ridiculous, but this is what happens when to a team with no midfield or ability to counter attack. The defense just clogs the box, which forces you to cross even more. I hadn't focused on it until watching this video, but it is amazing that for almost every cross Fulham had 8-9 players in the box.

exref repped this.
  11. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    to me, having genuine responsibilities at work and at home kinda took care of that. i just don't have the 'luxury' to dwell on losses like when i was in college. also, seemingly taking it harder than the players themselves started to look a bit extreme to me... :D

sdotsom repped this.
  12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    As long as we sign Dan Burn to replace Vidic this game will not have been for nothing.

13. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    exref repped this.
  14. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    By Zidane's winning penalty I meant free kick. I'm a smart person.