PBP: Premier League: Manchester United vs Cardiff City, Jan 28,2014[R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by nimma, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    this is my guess:
    xi - de gea; evra, jones, evans, rafael; fellaini, fletcher; mata, rooney, kagawa; rvp.
    subs – lindegaard, smalling, cleverly, valencia, januzaj, welbeck, hernandez.

i think adnan needs some rest/competition to keep improving. he shouldn't be on first-name-on-team-sheet status just yet.

2. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd like Adnan to get rest, but he has been our only outlet for almost a month now. If everyone is truly fit, then I'd be fine with resting him.

3. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    This is why people think little of your posting. You just hoped for us to lose.

nimma and LGRod repped this.
  4. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jeff - c'mon dude.

nimma repped this.
  5. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I hoped the players we never gave them a chance perform on this stage, if it is us losing then so be it . . .

EDIT: @tscboys I don't care what you think of my post.

johno and Invincible repped this.
  6. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i really don't understanding that mentality - rooting for a team is supposed to be fun, no? it almost bears the question of whether it is worthwhile to follow united at that point. for your own sake lol :)

7. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    This isn't about rooting for a team. It's gone beyond that (for some).

8. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I understand the reasoning behind jeff's post, but it is not really possible for me to go against United ever.

nimma, johno and Nathan18 repped this.
  9. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    And that's the way it's supposed to be, if you're following the generally accepted model of what a fan should be.

However there isn't one type of fan anymore. Some fans enjoy a sports team the way they enjoy a television or film series.

That is to say they enjoy the content and identify with the brand, and want to see it maintain that same standard (if possible). If those standards start to slip or they feel like the brand isn't living up to it's identity however, then they will rightfully protest and criticize whoever they deem responsible (the writers, directors, actors or in our case the manager, players, board etc).

Different people have different ways of expressing discontent, whether it's me wanting the Merseyside clubs to lock down 4th to get Moyes fired or Jeff wanting Ole and his band of ex-United youth to win against United in order to "punish" them.

Doesn't mean we don't care about the team.

10. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I am not going against us, I want to them to do well those players. I want Moyes out, I want the philosophy back in the club. If we have to lose, then we have to lose, dommage.

11. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    That's a really interesting and unique way to look at fandom, that I hadn't thought of before.

12. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    It's just entertainment content in another form. Brand loyalty makes no real sense. You invest time/money into United, presumably, for the entertainment value. If at some point it is no longer worth your investment, presumably, you'd stop.

SyedZada repped this.
  13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You also get those who follow a player or manager instead of a team.

johno and Gnome repped this.
  14. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    brand loyalty does make sense because the entertainment value is strongly tied to the emotional investment into the team for a lot of fans. you don't get that by simply following the best team or the team that plays the most beautiful football.

to be fair, those are not mutually exclusive propositions either. a lot of fans will watch their team + barça, real, bayern, etc.

15. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I think that for the average fan, the emotional payoff is fairly insignificant. It may sound a big unfalsifiable, but I include emotional investment in the investment of time/money. I should have stated it as an investment of value.

In fairness, though, wanting the team you are invested in to lose is kind of strange.

16. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    You also get a lot who just want to be part of a tribe where tribal rules like you are either with them or against them are followed. The average guy who is easily swayed and is jingoistic by nature often falls here.

johno repped this.
  17. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Jingoism in sports is amazing. Have you read Manufacturing Consent? I think Chomskey speaks on it in that book.

johno repped this.
  18. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Neither does emotion. And brand loyalty is emotional.

19. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Cr7's contempt for the average person is palpable. :D

johno and cr7torossi repped this.
  20. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Will take a look.

21. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    ********ing anarchists.

22. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Vince, I fully agree with you. I just don't happen to be that way. I get it though.

23. Poborsky

Poborsky Member

I'm not sure why Campbell is on that list. He's an okay player and seems like a nice guy, but he's not good enough to be a striker for Manchester United.

I think it's okay to just cheer for United, want us to be better and be excited that we get to watch Ole coach a front 6 of:

-----Campbell----
    Zaha--------Daehli
    Eikrem----?????
    -------Medel--

with Fabio out there too. Hopefully they are able to stay up and Zaha is brilliant. And if Moyes doesn't get us playing better and impress us with his tactics and tranfers by the end of the season/early next and Ole keeps Cardiff up while playing lovely football, then we can all start wearing Solskajer jerseys all the time and demanding he be our next manager.

I really wish we had buy-back clauses for Fabio, Eikrem and Daehli, though.

24. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's going to be awesome seeing Ole standing there.

johno repped this.