Alert: PreGame - TFC Match Postponed to 8/22

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by NUFC Fan, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Crew result vs Toronto 8/22

1. Crew win by 2 or more

34.9%
  2. Crew win by 1

44.2%
  3. Canadian win

11.6%
  4. Crew lose by 1

4.7%
  5. Crew lose by 2 or more

4.7%
  1. KillerCanary

KillerCanary Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suddenly lost a really close friend at the age of 19. One of the hardest things I have had to go through in my life. Eleven years later it still stings that I never got a chance to say goodbye. Drove over night from Michigan to Alabama, to be at his memorial. There was nothing that could have kept me from being there.

I know how those guys in the locker room feel, and it sucks bad. Being at the memorial is so important to moving on with life, never forgetting, but living on.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team had two options:

1) Play the game with a heavy distraction and their minds elsewhere. A lot of teams are in that "game mindset" all week. If we can't be focused on Saturday's business by Wednesday or today, then it's time to start looking at other options.

2) Reschedule the game. Our team has a schedule and TFC has two schedules, since they're in the CCL.

----------
    If someone has to go in to work, they should do so with a clear head. If they need to take a sick day or reschedule a meeting because of that sick day, it's understandable. Things happen.

FWIW, every weekend from here with one exception(*) to the end of the season has a game. A weekend wasn't an option, and I have a feeling if they could have had it on a weekend (more fans), then they would have tried for it to be so.

That exception, September 8th, is a FIFA International Match Day.

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I think you misread my post Krypto. I think Jim Bach is being more than a little selfish.

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of being a totally insensitive jerk, I say

"Go ******** yourself."

Timon19, cam5fc, DAK77 and 4 others repped this.
  5. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Trust me, a lot of us are thinking the exact same thing.

6. deadhamlet44

deadhamlet44 Member

Sep 15, 2005
    columbus
    Addition by subtraction.

shoplifter and NUFCBayern repped this.
  7. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I mean he is in "Palestine"

8. creuter798

creuter798 New Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are able to sell your tickets. We don't need any "fans" like you with the rest of us anyways

9. deadhamlet44

deadhamlet44 Member

Sep 15, 2005
    columbus
    I too will allow myself one self centered moment re: the change of date.

Fantasy soccer chaos! Hey brother can I borrow a starting goalkeeper?

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could we ease off Bach just a bit please? Let's not let emotions of the moment turn us nasty. Thats not cool, particularly for some one who has been a loyal Crew fan for longer than some of you have been wearing long pants.

Besides, while I'm not complaining - it is what it is - I feel him on this; I just dropped $170 on five tickets for my son and four friends, one of whom is a serviceman on a brief stopover coming back from overseas and all of them are from out of town and have jobs.

For them, rescheduling the game is not an option, so I personally just donated 170 bucks to the Crew. And since the tickets are at Will Call, I don't even have them to exchange. It's just a dead loss.

And not to put too fine a point on it but their demand that I can only exchange the tix for one of two games or else eat them is outrageous. I Made a deal with the Crew, they elected to change it and if I don't like their chosen resolution I can go screw myself. Right.

Now I love the Crew and I feel the same empathy everybody else does but that's a lot of money that the Crew has, basically, screwed me out of. Yes, they did what they thought they had to do and so mote it be, but not being happy about it doesn't make someone an insensitive ogre either.

Like I said, I'm not complaining, but I'm not dumping on the guy either.

And unless you personally want to step up and make a cash donation for the Crew "Go to Chicago for a funeral fund" then you have no room to bitch.

Just leave the guy alone.

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Plausible, but ultimately not persuasive.

JB didn't say "I know these are extraordinary circumstances, but this postponement is making me take it in the shorts a little bit, and it'd be nice if the Crew could work with me a little bit here.". He said, in the middle of a discussion of the death of a 22-year-old, "This is bullsh*t, and I'm not coming for the rest of the season because of it." He's basically telling a bunch of people who are grieving to go screw themselves.

Sorry, Bill. He's being an asshole, and you're not going to convince anyone otherwise on this one.

creuter798, cam5fc and NUFCBayern repped this.
  12. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, it's the tolerance of differing opininions on these boards that always gives me the warm fuzzies.

I don't give a rat's a$$ about why Jim Bach thinks this is a BS move. I appreciate the fact that he's willing to say it instead of just falling into the "Respect Kirk" line of thinking.

While I understand "why" the teams did this, I disagree with the decision. I think it's a bad decision for the team as a whole.

People always talk about, and in fact several players and coaches were quoted as saying things to the effect of "Kirk would want us to get on with it". So what do we do? We hald the process of "getting on with it". Look, I get that it's an emotional deal and that people are grieving. I have lost loved ones very unexpectedly, and have been in very similar situations.

I remember watching the news one Sunday night and seeing that one of my best friends in all the world had died in a plane crash in South Carolina. At the end of the day, you have to get on with it.

There is no better way to heal, than to get out in front of 15 - 18K fans on a great weather night and play the rage away. To be honest, that's why they're professionals. There's no reason why they COULDN'T play this game. They CHOSE to postpone it. If Urso' passing had happened on Wednesday or Thursday, yeah, ok, I get it. But it didn't. You've been practicing and training all week, getting the bugs out of your head.

And do you guys really think Jim Bach is an asshole because of this? Nothing like an emotional reaction to an emotional reaction.

#flameon

13. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and is anyone going to change the deadline on the poll?

#importantthings

14. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To give him the benefit of the doubt, I don't think Jim Bach is upset with the funeral or postponement, but more the date it was rescheduled to. A short notice wed. isn't easy on many folks. Maybe Sept 8th would have been better. Both teams have that weekend free. We play the wed. before and they play the wed. after. That would have given everyone more time to work with their schedules.

No matter what, the game will not be happen Saturday. Since that can not be changed, all efforts must be put forward to honoring Kirk on the 15th. Complaining won't help our cause.

15. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    From a competition standpoint this will help us because we will likely now have Higuain available for this match.

16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now
    Fair enough. I don't agree but you make a good case.

And again, not to pick sides here - even though I very well could, given the fact that I have some skin in the game (or, rather 170 skins in the game) - but cfc above is much closer to the facts here.

Furthermore, I'd just like to say that - love them though I do - I don't think the Crew covered themselves with glory in this one.

When is it that the Crew let everybody in on the fact that they were working on getting the game postponed?

Never, that's when. They kept it a big, deep, dark secret.

The reason? I think it's patently obvious to everyone: because they were still selling tickets for the 11th, and to come out and say - much like, you know, being "honest" - "we're trying to get the league and TFC to agree to another date" would have pretty much killed ticket sales.

And they sure weren't going to say "if you buy tickets for the 11th, please understand that we're trying to get the game moved to another date, most likely a weekday evening since that's about all that's available, and if you can't make it that day or another one that we will select at our sole option then you can go ahead and wipe your ass with the piece of worthless paper we're selling you today".

As the official notification so eloquently puts it: "No refunds or exchanges for other dates."

In the used car business, this is known as bait & switch.

If this isn't so, then why push the second exchange date all the way to the Montreal match, skipping LA next Wednesday and New England the following week?

Could it be that ticket sales are going well for those two dates but Montreal isn't much of a draw? If not, why else would it be?

It's a win-win for the team: they get to be all pious and respectful of a fallen player AND they get to fill some empty seats at a match nobody wants to go to.

Amazing Grace indeed.

This game wasn't cancelled due to a hurricane or power outage. It was cancelled because, apparently, the players wanted to go to a funeral. Fair enough.

But the team really needs to be a little more open-handed in terms of alternate dates, refunds, etc. It's only right.

c-f-c hits on the head what, IMO, kcb misses: saying this is all about the death of a 22 year old is all well and good but at the end of the day the Columbus Crew is a business and they want to keep the money.

Like I said, I'm not bitching; they got my money and I get nothing but that's life and to hell with it.

Just don't tell me that Bach doesn't have a case or that the Crew did not behave in a self-serving fashion in all of this.

POdinCowtown repped this.
  17. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except the fact that this means 6 games in 17 days now.

18. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I haven't been around many funerals that were scheduled that far out in advance for the Crew to have been planning this charade for a week. It doesn't seem outrageous to me that by Wednesday (not all week as you suggested), the funeral plans were finalized and the Crew started moving toward rescheduling.

You say they didn't tell people about these plans because they were more interested in selling tickets? That's an awfully shitty thing to put on someone. Maybe I'm just naive, but ISTM it's more likely the Crew didn't want to say anything until, you know, the match had actually been approved for a move. Assign whatever motives you want to that, I guess.

NUFCBayern repped this.
  19. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at it from the players POV I couldn't imagine either going to the funeral and then taking a plane ride back to Columbus and try to get my head on straight for warmups and a game or missing my teammates funeral to play a game when all you are is thinking about your friend.

Jardy tweeted that the players were pushing to have the game postponed so they could go to the funeral so I'm glad the game was pushed back. My guess is that if the game was played Saturday we would have got crushed by TFC becuase the players wouldn't have their heads in the game.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for agreeing with me.

Look, I know this is hard to get your head around, but believe me: I'm not taking sides here.

All I'm doing is pointing out that Bach has an argument.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and on another note:

If you want to be completely pissed off, check out the new issue of Sports illustrated, where there's a note in the "transitions" section about Urso's passing that quotes the idiot bar employee saying that Urso was "extremely drunk" and passed out.

Now SI has gone down the toilet in recent years - maybe not as badly as ESPN, but still - but even for them this is reckless and irresponsible.

The guy in the bar is not a medical professional, and quoting him on the cause of death is despicable.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  22. deadhamlet44

deadhamlet44 Member

Sep 15, 2005
    columbus
    We can agree this decision will be horrible for attendance?

We will need to make a concerted effort to bring folks to the new game date.

ThreeC repped this.
  23. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By all accounts with our meeting with some Crew FO types Wednesday evening that the match would go on as planned. They mentioned the Crew was working to fly them out for the memorial on Friday, but wouldn't likely be able to let them stay Saturday for the actual funeral. I'd like to think they would have at least suggested the match could have been moved at that point, but it sounded like they had only found out about the date/time of the memorial/funeral Wednesday and we're still figuring things out.

I'm guessing this was almost entirely figured out during the day Thursday.

Kryptonite and JayFunkeyFresh repped this.
  24. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jardy's article today suggests as much.

25. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Irresponsible.

While we're all curious about the cause of death, surely SI could've filled that space with something other than damaging speculation.