Predicted starting line-ups for 2013

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DIF1891, Jan 22, 2013.

1. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What's the story on Dawkins?

2. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think he's back with Spurs. The Earthquakes are trying to work out a permanent deal, but Tottenham might want more than we can afford.

profiled repped this.
  3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Almost as soon as you posted that, this got put up on the MLS site -

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/25/sj-bid-dawkins-still-limbo-spurs-drag-their-feet

Neuwerld repped this.
  4. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    profiled repped this.
  5. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Based on the lineups that Caleb Porter has been playing in practice, the Timbers' current starting lineup looks like:

.—————R. Johnson————-Nagbe—————
    ——————————Valeri—————————-
    ———-W. Johnson—————Chara—————
    —————————-Jewsbury————————
    Harrington——Horst——Mosquera——Miller
    —————————-Ricketts————————-

Of course Porter is new to the team and still learning about the players, so it is likely that some changes will be made by the time the season starts.

6. Seraphim Renegade

Jun 16, 2010
    Rose City Till I Die
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd expect a little bit of modification and the end result looking more like this:

-------R. Johnson------------Nagbe--------
    ------------------Valeri------------------
    ------Alexander-----------W. Johnson------
    -------------------Chara------------------
    --Harrington---Horst---Mosquera---Miller--
    -----------------Ricketts-----------------

With our current roster, we have so many good central midfielders and with both DP's being best in the central midfield position, it means that a quality player is likely to be left out. Everyone has felt like Porter is sticking with the 4-3-3 but I feel that with what seems like his style of play mixed with our top-quality players, a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield would work best. It provides the opportunities for triangle-shaped passing and allows the outside backs to attack like Porter seems to prefer. Combine this formation with Chara's passing and hustle, he's the best one to take the CDM position so he can distribute the ball and also cover the backs when they run the overlap.

Although Will is more familiar with the central mid position, he has played quite a bit on the right side with RSL and can be very effective for us on that side. Sadly, I don't see Captain Jack able to swing it as he isn't his best on the sides of the midfield and all of his other preferred positions are being taken. I would say that he would have to really outshine Chara or Miller to get a starting spot. I can see Zizzo or Alhassan starting over Alexander but it depends on how well they all do in training and who's staying fit.

7. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now replace Kamara with Sapong, and have Saad and Dwyer on the bench until Bunbury and Peterson return from injury.​

8. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    How is Warner used in that CM spot? As a DM, box-to-box mid, deeply lying playmaker? Something else?

9. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He tends to be a straight DM, doesn't take chances, stays back. Basically his role is to back up Bernier, who regularly takes those kinds of risks and plays more of a Box to Box game.

But that was last season. At this time its hard to know if that will continue. New coach plus lots of talented young blood might shake things up a bit. Callum Mallace was was very effective late last season and looks very promising thus far in camp. He is penciled in at Warner's spot but he is too much of a playmaker fit there seamlessly.

Things should shake out a bit this week and the next, before we head out to Florida.

Allez RSL repped this.
  10. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Here is my Toronto guess going Right to Left

------Kovermans--------Hassli------------
    ---Silva--------------------------Bekker---
    ---------Frings -----------J Cesar----------
    Eckersly-----Califf-----O'Dea-----Morgan
    ---------------------Frei---------------------

If Hassli leaves and not replaced play a 4-2-3-1 with Silva in centre and Lambe on the right.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    For DC there's 2 formations Olsen tends to go with. The 4-2-3-1

--------------------HAMID
    KORB---MCDONALD---JAKOVIC---WOOLARD
    ----------KITCHEN-----SARAGOSA
    DELEON------DEROSARIO---------PONTIUS
    -------------------PAJOY

or basically the same players lined up in a 4-4-2

--------------------HAMID
    KORB----MCDONALD---JAKOVIC--WOOLARD
    DELEON--KITCHEN---SARAGOSA--PONTIUS
    ------------PAJOY------DEROSARIO

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess for Columbus. One wide spot (Gaven and whom?), one CM spot, and possibly LB are up in the air. Call it 4-4-2, 4-5-1, or 4-4-1-1.

--------------Gruenebaum---------------
    Williams---Marshall---Glauber---Wahl
    -----------------Viana-------------------
    Gaven----------Sanchez------------Sepas
    ------------------Higuain----------------
    ------------------Arrieta-----------------

If Speas doesn't start, then move Gaven to LM, and Oduro may start at RM. Viana could also play LB, and a guy like Trapp could move into MF, but that will probably happen later in the year, if at all.

13. aircanada12

aircanada12 Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i would assume this is what it will be for the galaxy on opening day, assuming landon decides not to return by first kick weekend

------------------Cudicini-------------
    Franklin--DeLaGarza--Gonzalez--Dunivant
    Jimenez----Juninho---Sarvas----Clark
    -------------Keane--Magee------------

Should Donovan return, Magee would drop to Clark's spot and Clark would be on the bench. Should Lampard come in the summer, Sarvas would probably get dropped to the bench

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If all the San Jose Earthquakes players were healthy, then the starting lineup would've likely been:

[​IMG]

However, there are currently injuries to several key players that won't likely fully heal by the home/season opener in less than two weeks, so who knows at this point what the starting lineup will actually be come March 3rd.

-G

15. Wendys

Wendys Member

Mar 28, 2000
    With Martinez having a good preseason any of you Seattle people think he will break into that crowded midfield?

16. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sounds like it.
    http://blogs.seattletimes.com/sound...racruz-was-good-from-a-number-of-standpoints/

17. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on SKC's last few preseason games, it looks like Vermes prefers to go with Zusi on the wing and two holding midfielders:​
    Convey - Bieler - Zusi​
    Nagamura - Feilhaber - Rosell​
    Sinovic - Besler - Collin - Myers​
    Nielsen​

Bench: Sapong, Saad, Joseph, Olum, Gardner, Opara, Kronberg

Sapong will be the "super-sub" who can play any of the three forward positions, depending on what is needed/wanted late in the game.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the current injury list and changes in personnel I'm not 100% confident of where a single player will lineup for the Rapids against Dallas on Saturday. That includes goalkeeper (Pickens missed the LA friendly on Friday due to an injury).

19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Not completely sure what we're going to go with, but I do know we sorely need a good striker right now. I really hope we don't start Weaver up top with Bruin. Hope Cummings comes back healthy soon.

20. Wendys

Wendys Member

Mar 28, 2000
    I think in most cases KC will play with two holding mids, but do you think Convey will start the season on the wing? Seemed to me he didn't get much playing time in the last couple of games. He sure does seem to be a good fit on the left wing of a 4-3-3. ​

21. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. The team opened last season with seven straight wins, all with Convey starting on the left wing. Although I did not see it myself, everything that I have read indicates that he was the best player on the field during the preseason game against DC United, and the KC paper just ran a story the other day about how he is currently in the best shape of his entire (lengthy) professional career. My guess is that Vermes simply felt that other players needed the work in the last couple of games more than he did.