Gameday RB Arena Travel/Parking/Food/Drink/Hangout Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Woodrow, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hey all,

I just wanted to start a thread as a repository for information on places to enjoy yourselves before and after home games. Everyone else should feel free to add to the information. I don't live down in the Ironbound; but I've been down there enough to have some suggestions right off for locations on or near Ferry Street, between Penn Station and the Jackson Street Bridge.

Iberia, a pricier restaurant. This place has good food and can handle large groups. It is only a short walk from Penn. It also has a full bar, which can come in handy;)

Sagres, great Spanish style food. A block past Iberia. They also have outdoor seating for those summer nights.

Mi Pequeno. On Ferry a half block down from Sagres. Cheap, good Mexican food. BYO. Ferry St. liquors is close by for a fill-up.

Hamburgao. Portuguese hamburgers. This one is on Lafayette, a block over from Ferry at the corner of Adams. Again BYO.

Mompou. Tapas, with a good bar and DJ, other music in the basement. Just doors down from Sagres and right next to MP.

That's all I've got for now. These places are all on or close to Ferry, before you get to the Jackson Street bridge. There are even more on Ferry after Jackson Street. If you want BBQ, you can just follow your nose to any one of literally dozens of places.

I'm planning to walk over from Penn for most games and looking forward to finding even more good places. Feel free to educate me:)

Cheers guys.

2. sickofitall

sickofitall New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    having lived in ironbound:

Spain (prefer over iberia)
    Titanic is a good place too
    Bello's: great bar food (across the street from path- GSS bar)
    Seabra's Rodizio or nowadays RIo ROdizio((great place if you have some money to treat yourself)(Not walking distance (but close enough by car on route 21))
    Hell's Kitchen- great bar food too (two blocks from path)
    there are a lot too many to mention. what i would do is go there one day early and just drive around and look at all the different places. you'll find some gems. tons.

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Am I to understand that the pre-game tailgates are no more?

Granted, I've never been to the new stadium so I don't know if tailgates are possible.

4. jevanvoo

jevanvoo Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Manhattan
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how have you missed the 100+ threads on the subject? :D The ESC bar is El Pastor, GSS bar is MMM Bello, there are tons of really great restaraunts and bars in both Newark and Harrison within easy walking distance of the stadium plus red bull will be running a shuttle for people who would prefer. Not a large number of parking spaces at the arena, if people drive rather than take the Path or NJT, parking will be dispersed among various parking garages throughout the area.

5. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great. What would be even better is a map showing the streets in the area with the restaurants marked off with little markers such as BYO if that is the case and of course the stadium and with it the bus shuttle route.

6. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, I like that idea. May need to see if I can put that together.

7. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you zoom in close enough on Google Maps, a number of the area restaurants and bars are pinpointed. Looks like a goldmine of good eats.

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I honestly thought the Eurosnobs were taking over and discouraging all American influences with the new Euro stadium on the way.

That's just how I roll.

9. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread needs a sticky.

10. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of great places around.............Central Lounge would be a great spot to get started.

Either way, someone should use their computer genius and put together a map of the area and highlight the restaurants/bars that are in between the major transit hubs and the stadium.

11. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem for many of us who bring kids to the games (I usually take my son) is that bars/pubs are out of the question because of licensing issues. For the first game or two I will probably be drinking in lower Manhattan at one of the places around WTC that is kid-friendly then taking the train over.

Any alternatives in Ironbound or Harrison for those of us with sprogs (I already know about Nino's)?

12. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually if it's a bar/restuarant as opposed to a straight pub and it's late saturday afternoon and you are eating they may not mind the 12 year old (guess) in tow. I have seen kids at Mulligans pub in Hoboken with the parents watching soccer. Legally they can't sit at the bar but tables was usually fine. When I was a bouncer I used some common sense when deciding on whether kids was allowed and there is a difference between the 12 year old with mommy/daddy and the 19 year with their older sibling (even if I knew them).

I would simply call the bar and ask as pre game rules might be different from post game rules. Greenroom is a couple of blocks from the harrison station and was pretty cool

13. xibalba89

xibalba89 New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is awesome. You should add Greenroom in Harrison and El Pastor and MMMBello's in Newark (ESC and GSS hangouts, respectively). Then we can just keep this going as we find new places. I'd be happy to stick a link to this up on the Viper's Nest if you're cool with that.

15. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think at El Pastor there might be a under 21 wear bracelets thing for pregame. I know it was talked about but I can't confirm that

16. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Many of these places are restaurants with liquor service. So, sit down, relax, grab a bite and enjoy a few refreshing beverages.:)

18. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Created a new map with the locations mentioned above. I'm happy to add more so keep 'em coming, and eventually can add notes, tips, etc. I've embedded it as a sidebar feature on The Viper's Nest:

http://www.thevipersnest.com/

19. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Who Shot Sam (aka Blue Note) TVN Exclusive!

20. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey BN, When I first looked at that picture of the Port Authority, I thought it was inside the stadium. For a second I thought the statue might be of Deter......

21. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you mean exclusive as in stealing information from people who know more than me, then yes.

22. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    i know it'll be a light schedule of matches in june because of the WC but imagine the atmosphere during future Portuguese day parades.:eek:

23. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Said it before and I will say it again. Ferry St. Barbecue. Good cheap eats. Half a Brazilian barbecued chicken and fries for like $4.50.

24. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Added.

25. twelfthman

twelfthman New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Great job on everyone who has contributed to this list/location guide so far.

Any chance there is a way to create a Zagat-styled list of the highest rated food by food type (e.g., Brazilian, Portuguese, Spanish, Other/etc.?)