Pre/PBP/Post: Sporting KC v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday November 23

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 12, 2013.

?

Result?

Poll closed Nov 22, 2013.
  1. Dynamo advance

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Dynamo fail to advance

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Weren't we just here? Twice? This time last year? And the year before? I'm pretty sure we were.

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. A decision

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    #226 troutseth, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    Yeah, 'can't put it together' is not quite accurate. When we had Dom's preferred eleven on the field I think we were 8-2-2. Our depth wasn't as strong as we thought and we missed too many folks due to callups and injury this year.

MLSNHTOWN, brahmafutbol, JC507 and 3 others repped this.
  2. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Taylor, Clark, Bruin, and a 2012 Carr I can't help but think we win that game. Carrasco did well, which shows good for some more depth next year. I'm not sure Creavalle is ready to be the sole DM in a game of that magnitude. Awesome effort from him though. We need some more pieces to shore it up for sure.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what you agree on is no Champions League for 2 seasons now, the loss of our State Cup and any other silverware cuz our "pros" went absent from school from June to September. Check. Got it amigo mio.
    Love our boys but from our Santos beating team in March, to the Wild Card play in luck o' teeth fall in MLS playoffs, wake up n play pro footy team...it has been all down hill since.

4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    huh?
    All I was saying was our starting 11 were as good as anyone . . . our next 11 not so much. Like it or not the results of the CCL and USOC prove that out.

JC507 and Heft repped this.
  5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston football.
    The best or nothing.
    But that is us, old local Houston footy coaches that know our gridiron peers n it's regional champions or nothing good Sir. Texas footballl. Both codes.

6. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  7. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, props to those of you who made it to KC. I was not in the best position to hear you, but you sounded great from what I did hear. And hats off to your team for a well-fought game. Everyone was saying how much this game was going to be boring beforehand and I think both teams proved them wrong. Both teams came to fight and win.
    The very first time he went down he did have his foot stepped on - it was similar in nature to that Collin incident at your place. The other times he fell down for little-to-no reason... yea, sorry about that. At least Toledo didn't fall for it... I would really hate to win on something like that.
    My guess is he didn't see it well since it was off-the-ball... definitely worth a yellow though.

I thought Toledo had a relatively good game. I do think he had to give the Boniek card just to make a statement that the players had to stay under control... I think that he lets that go and things escalate. That's my take at least - though I haven't taken a 2nd look at the Boniek yellow so don't hate me if it was, in fact, a horrible decision.

brahmafutbol repped this.
  8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Like I've been saying all year, Bobby is a complete liability. I wouldn't be sad at all to see him go next season.

CeltTexan repped this.
  9. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I don't think he should go now - we need to transition to a younger player within the next year. If we can keep him at reduced salary year on year I would lik to see him retire in orange.

I think the game came down to Fielhaber being able to excel without Rico being there. KC has more quality in central defense and at forwards. That made all the difference in this game.

For that matter I firmly believe that we have failed in winning at the cup mainly for the lack of quality at the forward positions for the last three years.

I am still proud of our team and coaches. They play an attractive style now, the players and coaches have outstanding character, and we have a beautiful stadium to go an watch them play in. Forever Orange!

footyfool, brahmafutbol and DNez2001 repped this.
  10. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    considering no clark or bruin i think we help up extraordinarily well last night, I'm proud of the team and was entertained and involved as a fan through the entire season, thats what matters.

*rey*, JC507 and Levy2k6 repped this.
  11. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I think Weaver put in a better performance than Bruin would have been able to provide. Barnes was invisbile although I have to give him credit for tracking back on Defense alot.

Bruin isn't competitive in aerial duels and Weaver provided that in spades.

12. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I felt that this set up made Weaver more the midfielder and Barnes the striker I know I'm inly mad because of the missed goal but aside he actually made some key passes that led to opportunities like when he did the back heel to Davis or that beautiful pass to Driver when it looked like he was going to lose the ball. Again like I said he was put in as muscle and it worked I think if they would have had JJ instead of Barnes maybe we might have had another goal.

AcetheTigah repped this.
  13. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    What I'm proud of is, that with 3 starters missing that almost pulled it off. I haven't seen a replay but how close JJ to getting his head in that ball in the 92nd minute? From my angle Nielsen looked to be flat footed because has wasn't expecting JJ to get that high. One misdirection and it's 2-2 game.

Also, has anyone mentioned that Maradona type run by Boniek in the second half down the right side? Goal of the year if he scores that one.

brahmafutbol, DNez2001 and Heft repped this.
  14. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, that run was fuking nasty. As soon as that happened I looked at my chic and said, please tell me you 100% recorded the game cause I want to watch that over and over.

MannieG and *rey* repped this.
  15. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man there is some good stuff here. I haven't had a chance to read many comments on the game. We got back to the hotel about 9:30, then went out to eat. We got up and left at 6 in an unsuccessful attempt to beat the bad weather. I'm still on the road, south of Frisco, having endured rain, sleet, snow and cold. I'm glad I went, sorry we lost but not terribly surprised. When I saw the lineup I thought things didn't look good, but just like true men in orange style they fought to the end. Like others have said, with Rico things might have been different. With Carr, Cummings, Taylor, and others not out for long periods, plus all of our WCQ absences, our season might have gone much better.

I'm proud of our season and proud that we got as far as we did. I'm proud of the way we fought in the semifinal. And I like the things people have written here, even the SKC guys. But I don't get CeltTexan, usually after a win he's writing praise in some language I don't get. Now we lose out after reaching our 3rd straight semifinal and I think he's complaining, though again I can't really understand, osea.

A lot has been written about SKC park, and much more will be written before December 7. After my 3rd game there, I can say its a beautiful stadium with great amenities, but I would rather watch a game at BBVA. You are so much closer to the field at BBVA.I am jealous of the crowd involvement at the game and the size of the SGs. I understand the reasons why theirs is better and ours not so great, but I'm still jealous. And I would say that theirs has greatly improved since their first season there, and I think ours will improve also.

A couple of last random thoughts. We stayed at the Hampton in Shawnee, Ks, just minutes from the stadium. We ate at a surprisingly good Mexican restaurant there that was still open at 10 when we got there. Then I walked (in 16 degrees!) to a 7-11 where the clerk talked to me about the game, about the goals, about the players the Dynamo were missing, a lot of stuff. He obviously had watched the game. I was very impressed.

KopRules, El Naranja and JC507 repped this.
  16. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, yeah, one more thought....why don't we try more often to shoot from distance? It seems we have been fairly successful when we do that, but it seems like we keep trying to walk every ball into the goal. Just take some shots once in a while guys!

17. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

because we traded Adam Bomb and Rico was hurt

Levy2k6 and CeltTexan repped this.
  18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #243 CeltTexan, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    I take our players effort, or evident lack there of, from June to September as a slap in the face to our Dom and what limitations he is given from AEG L.A. specifically that our players know how to win, how to beat a Mexican Champion in Santos and talk all season of learning from our last two years by positioning themselves to specifically avoid the extra Wild Card play in game and return legs away from our fortress of Robertson/BBVA come playoffs. Our players, specifically our veteran footballers as "old pros" knew the magnitude of securing the points over the Summer months of our regular season to position themselves to avoid the extra play in game and the wear n tear it always puts on a playoff run.
    But what did they do?!?
    They literally fuked off June, July, August and round late September decided to rodeo the fuk up. However, by then the points race had us behind the 8 ball. Dom can only piss with the cock he's got! He proves year after year of how to win with what he has, reaching Cup Finals consistantly! It is f'n a thing of beauty really brother...I just focus my rage on our team, as a unit, and them not matching his demands by taking a 4 month siesta that put us back where the players themselves stated all Spring they knew they had to avoid. To get back to the Cup Final with a better path than last year. This.

el nordissimo repped this.
  19. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
  20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that, and would say also because we don't have DeRo anymore. But anybody can score like that, Corey almost did. No one can if they don't take a shot.

21. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Have watched most of the WC final and I have to say our game was much better I know the haters will never admit to it.

22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I didn't want to go to Salt Lake anyway.

Art Vandaley and Heft repped this.
  23. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, as i feared, no MVP playing means we lose. Benny just had a field day playing quarterback all game with out MVP in there to take control.

I wish i could say that if stumbledore was in the game, he would have scored the sitter that Cam missed. but i can't. we all know how that would have worked out.

the guys battled and proved that no matter how many of our starters we are missing, we will still punch you in the mouth. We ended this year much higher than i expected we would. despite the many fixes that we need and the letdowns that happened throughout the year, i am proud to be a fan and a STH. best sports team in houston by far!

I look forward to next year and it's possibilities.

oh, and also look forward to talking to you schlubs!!

Forever Orange damnit!

JC507, Heft, CeltTexan and 1 other person repped this.
  24. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

anybody can shoot from there but no everyone can score like that. Honestly, other than Rico and Adam (when he was here) I don't want anyone on our current roster shooting from outside of 25 yards. Hell Cam can't even get an open shot on frame from 15 yards.

MannieG repped this.
  25. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

I did:(